News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dark Angels 2000 Points - DW and RW  (Read 2769 times)

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Keeper of the Book of Salvation; Last of the Timelords
  • Ancient
  • Returned from the Immaterium
  • Armies: Deathwing
Dark Angels 2000 Points - DW and RW
« on: July 30, 2015, 12:44:31 PM »
This is my first crack at an army list since 4th edition. Any and all feedback would be very helpful. The plan is to split the bikes into combat squads, find where the opponent has left a unit or two vulnerable, and then on turn 2 drop an army on them. My plan is to go mono-Interromancy on the Librarian.

+++EDIT+++
Version two of the list.

Deathwing Strike Force – 1765 Points 

Company Master – 175 Points
                1 Company Master: Terminator Armor, Foe Smiter, Monster Slayer of Caliban

Deathwing Command Squad – 295 Points
1 Deathwing Sergeant: Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield,
1 Deathwing Standard Bearer:  Deathwing Company Banner, Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield
1 Deathwing Champion: Halberd of Caliban
1 Deathwing Apothecary: Narthecium
1 Deathwing Terminator:  Assault Cannon, Chainfist
1 Relic Bearer: Perfidious Relic of the Unforgiven             

Deathwing Knights Squad – 370 Points
                7 Deathwing Knights, 1 Knight Master

Deathwing Terminator Squad – 230 Points
                4 Deathwing Terminators, 1 Deathwing Sergeant: 1X Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield, Assault Cannon

Deathwing Terminator Squad – 225 Points
                4 Deathwing Terminators, 1 Deathwing Sergeant: 1X Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield, 1X Plasma Cannon

Deathwing Terminator Squad – 235 Points
                4 Deathwing Terminators, 1 Deathwing Sergeant: 1X Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield, 1X Cyclone Missile Launcher

Deathwing Terminator Squad – 235 Points
                4 Deathwing Terminators, 1 Deathwing Sergeant: 1X Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield, 1X Cyclone Missile Launcher

Ravenwing Attack Squadron – 235 Points

Ravenwing Bike Squad – 180 Points
                5 Ravenwing Bikers, 1 Ravenwing Sergeant: 2X Plasma Gun

Ravenwing Land Speeders – 55 Points
                1 Ravenwing Landspeeder: 2X Heavy Bolter
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:35:38 PM by TheOnlySpiral »
Quote from: David Holland
The Point of the Game is to be Playing it.

Quote from: Devern, The Unsung Hero
Actually, it pains me to say this, but Spiral is right.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Dark Angels 2000 Points - DW and RW
« Reply #1 on: August 4, 2015, 01:30:26 AM »
I kept meaning to reply, but anytime I thought about it, I was never home.  So anyway, here goes...

1)  Your company master:  for 15 points more you can take Belial, who is an overall better choice for the army.  He is probably the best combat character, regardless of his weapons load out, and being able to reliably deep strike a unit of Terminators where ever you want is also a valuable commodity.

2)  The Sergeant in your command squad can not take a Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield.  With the command squad entry, it says you may upgrade a Deathwing Terminator to a Sergeant, but then goes on to say that you may give a Deathwing Terminator those weapons.  Because he was specifically upgraded to a Sergeant, he no longer qualifies.  The confusion comes from the difference between the two entries.  A regular Deathwing squad does say that any model may take the upgrades.

3)  Personally, I have never been a fan of Deathwing Knights.  I have always found that they are unreliable unless they are taken in a transport.  The issue with the Strike Force is that it doesn't allow units to be deployed inside of dedicated transports.

The rest of the list looks solid.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Ancient
« Reply #2 on: August 4, 2015, 12:52:50 PM »
1)  Your company master:  for 15 points more you can take Belial, who is an overall better choice for the army.  He is probably the best combat character, regardless of his weapons load out, and being able to reliably deep strike a unit of Terminators where ever you want is also a valuable commodity.

He's not very flashy though is he? Oh well. I'll probably use him until I finish my conversion then.

2)  The Sergeant in your command squad can not take a Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield.  With the command squad entry, it says you may upgrade a Deathwing Terminator to a Sergeant, but then goes on to say that you may give a Deathwing Terminator those weapons.  Because he was specifically upgraded to a Sergeant, he no longer qualifies.  The confusion comes from the difference between the two entries.  A regular Deathwing squad does say that any model may take the upgrades.

That...wow. Yeah that's beslubbering stupid. Do you think it's better to just have the extra Thunder-Hammer in there or switch to having a character that can tank the inevitable challenges that go after my commander? Or do you think the Champion will be enough?

3)  Personally, I have never been a fan of Deathwing Knights.  I have always found that they are unreliable unless they are taken in a transport.  The issue with the Strike Force is that it doesn't allow units to be deployed inside of dedicated transports.

I've seen some battle reports where they've absolutely wrecked opposing units and I had a really sweet conversion plan in mind for them. Do you think more regular terminators would be the way to go?

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 4, 2015, 01:10:18 PM »

He's not very flashy though is he? Oh well. I'll probably use him until I finish my conversion then.
Depends on what you mean by flashy?

That...wow. Yeah that's beslubbering stupid. Do you think it's better to just have the extra Thunder-Hammer in there or switch to having a character that can tank the inevitable challenges that go after my commander? Or do you think the Champion will be enough?
I've never been a fan of the Sergeant with a power sword.  I would say that the Champion would be sufficient.  Also, the Halberd of Caliban is a better weapon for a challenge than a Power Sword.

I've seen some battle reports where they've absolutely wrecked opposing units and I had a really sweet conversion plan in mind for them. Do you think more regular terminators would be the way to go?
I've always been partial to more terminators or adding in some more characters.  Adding in a Librarian would give you some psychic defense from the Psychic Hood, and also let you mess around with the new powers.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: August 4, 2015, 01:31:07 PM »
I mean...precision shots and doubling down on teleport homing is nice...but the Foe Smasher and and the Monster Slayer are new! One of the things that killed fourth for me was the lack of customization on my Characters...he's good. Just kind of unexciting.

I've never been a fan of the Sergeant with a power sword.  I would say that the Champion would be sufficient.  Also, the Halberd of Caliban is a better weapon for a challenge than a Power Sword.
Got it.

I've always been partial to more terminators or adding in some more characters.  Adding in a Librarian would give you some psychic defense from the Psychic Hood, and also let you mess around with the new powers.
I''ve actually got a cheeky idea for that. I'll post it in a bit. I am loathe to give up my CC oriented unit, which might be a holdover from old habits. I do love Librarians though...

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 4, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »
I mean...precision shots and doubling down on teleport homing is nice...but the Foe Smasher and and the Monster Slayer are new! One of the things that killed fourth for me was the lack of customization on my Characters...he's good. Just kind of unexciting.
The level of customization for basic characters has changed, I will give you that.  And while precision shots from his warlord trait are nice, the big thing for Belial comes from Marked for Retribution.  Add in what they did to the Sword of Silence, and I am actually considering changing my Belial model from Thunder Hammer to Bolter and Sword.

I''ve actually got a cheeky idea for that. I'll post it in a bit. I am loathe to give up my CC oriented unit, which might be a holdover from old habits. I do love Librarians though...
The one issue I have with a unit that is dedicated entirely to CC, is that once you deep strike, they are slow enough that the enemy can avoid them with relative ease.  Like I said, they are a great unit if they have a Land Raider to run them across the field.

One thing I was meaning to ask regarding your terminator squads:  Do you have the Sergeant modelled with the Power Sword, or did you give him the Storm Shield?  Reason I ask is because I have found that with Look Out, Sir! as a rule for characters, you can have the sergeant leading the squad with the shield and he can take the AP2/AP1 hits while passing off the armour saves.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: August 5, 2015, 11:19:37 AM »
The level of customization for basic characters has changed, I will give you that.  And while precision shots from his warlord trait are nice, the big thing for Belial comes from Marked for Retribution.  Add in what they did to the Sword of Silence, and I am actually considering changing my Belial model from Thunder Hammer to Bolter and Sword.
I have a converted Belial with Sword and Bolter built and in my painting que right now. I guess I just don't see a huge point in him considering the Ravenwing will bring in the entirety of my army when I want them to with a 12' bubble.

The one issue I have with a unit that is dedicated entirely to CC, is that once you deep strike, they are slow enough that the enemy can avoid them with relative ease.  Like I said, they are a great unit if they have a Land Raider to run them across the field.
They do loose out on the turn they land, I'll grant you that. But then what do I do with all these maces? If I switch to a Librarian is it just worth taking the Armor and Mastery then?

One thing I was meaning to ask regarding your terminator squads:  Do you have the Sergeant modelled with the Power Sword, or did you give him the Storm Shield?  Reason I ask is because I have found that with Look Out, Sir! as a rule for characters, you can have the sergeant leading the squad with the shield and he can take the AP2/AP1 hits while passing off the armour saves.
Right now I have two squads of terminators, Belial and a Librarian built. The Sargeants are out of the Dark Vengence box set, and are packing Storm Bolters and power weapons. I do have a big pile of construction and painting to do on this army though, so I don't mind having to use hammers on them later.