News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Lasguns  (Read 10240 times)

Offline Pinhead

• [Smart statement that changes your view on life]
    • Pinhead's Warhammer 40k Models
Re:Lasguns
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2003, 02:25:43 PM »
If theres a full- auto setting on it then obviously it fires a series of "bolts".

Offline Sputnik

• Colonel, Best Painted Open Comp.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • No rules, just ride.
    • My Gallery
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2003, 02:28:28 PM »
Obviously.. though it wont be long till the "beam" boys come in and make up some weird reasoning against this.
All the Emperor requires of us guardsmen is that we stand the line and we die fighting. It is what we do best. We die standing.

Offline Tobab816

• Chaos Warmaster, Promoter of Deathball!
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2003, 02:57:07 PM »
First off.

No Full auto Lasguns(without multiple barrels or the recycling mechanism of the multi-laser...which btw is too bulky and complicated to be used as a handheld weapon).
According to fluff it's semi-auto since it has to bleed off residual energy and reset.

Second.
The advantages of a short(short as in microsecond) more powerful beam is obvious.

1. You hit the same spot, more heating in the same spot.
2. There is only a very short time for the energy to dissipate though the target material so the blast is more powerful.
3. If you deliver all the energy at the same time you get an explosive combustion in the target instead of it just being vaporised. It's the difference between a trail of gunpowder on the ground and the same amount of gunpowder in a keg. You get an explosion which gives more damage than just a burnhole.

Third, Little known Fact: You do know that the energy discharged from a .50 BMG shell is sufficient to power a laser to blow a fist sized hole through a man. If we can tame chemical energy to that degree into electomagnetic energy, then we could have chemo-electric discharge batteries that are as small as a cellphone that is capable of powering an energy weapon with the power of todays assultrifles.

And finally. The lasgun isn't powerless. It's just that the weapons that it's measured against are way more powerful. I mean. the weapons that it's measured against are the 20mm handcannons of spacemarines and orks that fires minigrenades, the superadvanced shuriken catapults of the Eldar(mono-filament discs fired at supersonic speeds. Slice and dice) and the plasmabased weapons of the tau.
Deathball, the new game of bloody basketball, 40k style!

+++Excerpt from Last Chaos/Space marine game, commentator: Inquisitor Khalheed "The Purgator" Qhor, Ex-Deathball player+++

Chaos vs Space Marine grudgematch today ended 23-19 when Brother Grazieel decimated the chaos team with a heavy bolter.

Afterwards the Chaos Coach Zhuriel the Damned stated "If we weren't ideologically in favor of cheating we'd complain about this""
+++End of transmission+++

Offline Sputnik

• Colonel, Best Painted Open Comp.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • No rules, just ride.
    • My Gallery
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2003, 03:06:02 PM »
Hm, I guess I'm wrong about the full-auto part. Though I swear I read it in Ghostmaker.. I must of been mistaken.
All the Emperor requires of us guardsmen is that we stand the line and we die fighting. It is what we do best. We die standing.

Offline Athrelas

• Athrelas - Fernior Rebel Commander
    • Athrelas' HQ
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2003, 05:25:53 PM »
Hm, I guess I'm wrong about the full-auto part. Though I swear I read it in Ghostmaker.. I must of been mistaken.

Maybe you read it right. It's not uncommon for GWs different artists and authors to cross each others and cause confusion for us dedicated 40K Gamers...

But as I said I think of it as the M1 Garand... with the same firing rate and all.

And Tobab816's last comments in his post are absolutely splendid! The Lasgun isn't weak it just got tough opponents.

Offline 666thArmoured

• Be ready Brothers, The day of reckoning is upon us
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2003, 05:54:13 PM »
I agree with the rapid fire side, I doubt it would me a long beam, have any of you every tried to hit somebody in the exact same spot concentrated for 5 seconds? Its really hard. I read ghostmaker, and it did say the auto setting was on the lasgun.
Be Ready Brothers, The Day of reckoning is upon us. We must ready ourselves, for Abbodons dark crusade is coming. Las-guns polished and uniforms clean, we must march against our common foe, with the united efforts of Cadia and all of her men, we will stand strong, united and proud. So be ready, mobilize your troops, launch your fleets, and load the tanks. We will not have time to spare! Stand united brothers of Cadia, for we must pray to the benevolent Emporer for his blessings, and protection!

Offline Athrelas

• Athrelas' HQ
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2003, 10:16:07 AM »
I read ghostmaker, and it did say the auto setting was on the lasgun.

Maybe Mr Abnett is a "Blast" Boy?

Can't just someone send this one to the DEV Team and ask them? Although they probably won't answer...

Offline Tobab816

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2003, 11:40:53 AM »
Well actually I don't hold it for impossible if there are SOME full auto lasguns out there.
At least the eldar got em. ;D

But the standard is as it's detailed in the BBB p63.
1 pull of the finger = 1 shot.

+++Excerpt from Last Chaos/Space marine game, commentator: Inquisitor Khalheed "The Purgator" Qhor, Ex-Deathball player+++

Chaos vs Space Marine grudgematch today ended 23-19 when Brother Grazieel decimated the chaos team with a heavy bolter.

Afterwards the Chaos Coach Zhuriel the Damned stated "If we weren't ideologically in favor of cheating we'd complain about this""

Offline Athrelas

• Athrelas' HQ
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2003, 12:19:14 PM »
But the standard is as it's detailed in the BBB p63.
1 pull of the finger = 1 shot.

That's exactly how I see it... and it can basicly fire as fast as you are on the trigger... maybe with an overheation danger if you fire to fast or something like that.
Here's a new question: Can the Lasgun lock it self up and if so how does it do that? Does it blow up? Or does is just send a electrical charge through out the user and anyone into contact with it or the user?

Food for thought...

PS: Well Tobab... I guess we are from now on the Beam Boys...  ;)

Offline Tobab816

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2003, 05:22:15 PM »
I guess we are......I'll have contact the Admin to give me a Beamboy title.  ;D ::) 8)

Offline Athrelas

• Athrelas' HQ
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2003, 05:23:59 PM »
I guess we are......I'll have contact the Admin to give me a Beamboy title.  ;D ::) 8)

Ohhh! That would be cool!

"IG Beam Boy"

Let's ask Grim... Send him an message and we'll hope he answers... maybe he can remove this stinking Spammy title of mine too... that was long ago when I spammed the SM board.

Offline Field Marshall Duke Umarth Morte

• I love the smell of roasting Bugs in the morning!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard and Chaos Space Marines
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2003, 02:50:01 PM »
Ummm whats BBB?
What is the terror of death? That we die with our work incomplete. What is the joy of life? To die knowing our task is complete!!

We are the future the 21st century
Dyslexic, glue sniffing cyber sluts
With homicidal minds and handguns

Offline Tobab816

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2003, 03:27:52 PM »
Ehh, the Big Black Book...the Main rulebook, the head honcho of rulebooks.

Offline Major BigBadOgryn

• Major
  • Our pride is service, our duty is to die.
    • the best IG site on the net
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2003, 05:05:53 PM »
thats when you know you play 40k too much, when you start refering to something as the 'head-honcho of rule books' ;D

Member Board 18 Chain of Command

From now until forever they shall utter our names. "Brave men," they'll say, "who fought for home and hearth; who stood proud when no light was left to see, when lands were drowned in blood. Strong men," they'll say, "who gave until their deaths."

Offline Tobab816

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2003, 08:37:42 PM »
I haven't played 40k too much.
Just...oh a few years of 40k(started right after the BBB was published), and before that it was WFB.

On the other hand I have probally 4000-5000 points of Eldar, just above 1000 of chaos and about 2000 of SoB so you might say I'm sort of dedicated.

Offline Sr. Commissar Gribb

• Senior Commissar
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Whoa! What's this guy doing on here?
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2003, 11:49:39 PM »
there should be a story about a hungry guarsman heating up some rations using his lasgun (hahahha!)
"The Old Guard" of 40kO

The most dangerous thing on the battlefield is a junior officer with a compass and a map.

Offline Athrelas

• Athrelas' HQ
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2003, 05:40:28 AM »
there should be a story about a hungry guarsman heating up some rations using his lasgun (hahahha!)

There is a IG Picnic story on DakkaDakka.  ;)

Tobab you've probably played 40K longer than me... I'm on my third year now.

Offline Field Marshall Duke Umarth Morte

• I love the smell of roasting Bugs in the morning!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard and Chaos Space Marines
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2003, 01:23:52 PM »
Tobab you've probably played 40K longer than me... I'm on my third year now.

well never mind, I joined in the last year of Rogue Trader so I beat you hands down there, but I have only been playing guard for around four years.

Anyway, back to the topic, what about this? The lasgun fires a short time length beam, hence the shots. Does that make sense?
What is the terror of death? That we die with our work incomplete. What is the joy of life? To die knowing our task is complete!!

We are the future the 21st century
Dyslexic, glue sniffing cyber sluts
With homicidal minds and handguns

Offline PowerFist4u

• Big guns never tire.
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2003, 01:52:32 PM »
The Lasgun would probably be used as a can opener or a flare. I would rather throw rocks at the enemy than use Lasguns.
"Learn to shorten your reach! If your foe can come close enough to negate your striking power, all strategem is lost, and when all strategem is lost, the battle is lost."

http://www.guitar.com/discuss/img/m2819383-3262.jpe

I HATE PANTS!

Offline Tobab816

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2003, 02:42:42 PM »
Considering that a rock is a R6" S1 assult 1 weapon...no you wouldn't.