News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Vulkan's Chapter Rule and Weapons involved.  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Canoness Luzza (Toogeloo)

• I am really good at being oblivious.
Vulkan's Chapter Rule and Weapons involved.
« on: October 5, 2008, 07:34:08 PM »
Vulkan's rule states that Flamers, Heavy Flamers, Meltaguns, and Multi-Meltas are twin-linked for his army.  My question is which weapons is this inclusive to?  Only those 4 weapons, or variants of those weapons as well?

For example, is Vulkan's gauntlet twin-linked since it fires "like" a Heavy Flamer, or is it not because it isn't one?

Other examples: Seraphim Hand Flamers (fire as a flamer), Combi- weapons (fire as a meltagun or a flamer, Ardent Blade (fires as a flamer)... I am sure there are lots of examples.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Re: Vulkan's Chapter Rule and Weapons involved.
« Reply #1 on: October 5, 2008, 07:48:11 PM »
If it fires as a flamer then its subject to all the bonuses and drawbacks of a flamer, ie, that Vulkan would make it twin-linked but the Avatar would laugh in it's face.

However it is limited to weapons on the list, if you fielded a forgewold dread that had an inferno cannon Vulkan wouldn't help with that because its not listed.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #2 on: October 5, 2008, 07:55:43 PM »
More to the point the new Land Raider Redeemer doesn't get the re-roll either.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

« Reply #3 on: October 5, 2008, 08:09:28 PM »
So does a Neural Shredder gains Twin Linking as well?  Without quoting specifically, that rule also says it fires like a flame weapon, though it does not specifically state Flamer or Heavy Flamer.

Offline Seattledv8

• Well, what did you expect?
« Reply #4 on: October 5, 2008, 10:25:06 PM »
Does it fire like a flamer or does it use the flamer template??  two different things
Do you use the number on the bottom of the die to determine your rolls? because the book doesn't discuss that the top is the correct side to read, either. some things are just THAT obvious.
"I'm not sure your stupidity is your fault. Though it damn well is your responsibility."

« Reply #5 on: October 5, 2008, 10:45:32 PM »
Well, if this violates ToS, feel free to mod it...

The first line of the Callidus' Neural Shredder entry says:
The Neural Shredder uses the Flame Template and is fired just like a Flame Weapon.

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #6 on: October 6, 2008, 12:23:56 AM »
I would say no - it fires like a "flame weapon" but does not have the stats of either a flamer or a heavy flamer.  Therefore, at least to me, it falls into the same category as the Redeemer's sponsoons.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: October 6, 2008, 02:53:34 AM »
The rule says it affects Flamers, Heavy Flamers, Meltaguns, and Multi-Meltas: so those are the weapons it affects and no others.
If it said "flame and melta weapons" then obviously that would include more weapons. Things like the neural shreder are not flamers at all and just use the template.
Combi-weapons have flamers attached and so use the rule fine.

Why does it matter for flame type weapons that aren't in the marine codex anyway?

« Reply #8 on: October 6, 2008, 04:25:40 AM »
The rule says it affects Flamers, Heavy Flamers, Meltaguns, and Multi-Meltas: so those are the weapons it affects and no others.
By this logic, you would elude that Vulkan's own weapon therefore is not Twin Linked since it is not a Heavy Flamer?

Why does it matter for flame type weapons that aren't in the marine codex anyway?
Because as his rule stands currently, he offers twin linking to anything in the army, which includes allies that have flame and melta weaponry.  Seraphim have hand flamer units that shoot "as a flamer," as does the Living Saint's Ardent Blade (not that this should ever come up since she can't be fielded as an ally).  Even the Neural Shredder says it fires "like a flame weapon," though I can understandably see Doc R's logic about it not being conduscive to flame weaponry stats and thus being barred.

Offline Black Sword

• Finish painting your last mini and you die...
« Reply #9 on: October 8, 2008, 02:37:46 AM »
Oh yeah, I've in a few places were people are thinking about Vulkan's Angels armies.  HF/Melta, VSS with Brazier of Holy Fire and a Combi-melta... Mmmmm... OR, HF/Flamer, VSS with teh Brazier and a Combi-flamer... With Divine Guidance... YIKES!!

I have already written the 1750 list and made sure I had the models... I'm using a Grey Knights Nemesis Weapon for Vulkan's blade.  I'm trying to figure out his gauntlet.  I'm thinking Lightning Claw, cut off the blades and perhaps attach a piece off of one of the really old plastic hand-flamers.
Chapter Master,
Ordo Pacificus chapter,

40K Fight Club