News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: NEW FAQs are UP! Noted change for our Character Nobs  (Read 2313 times)

Offline travisb7

• Ork Boy
NEW FAQs are UP! Noted change for our Character Nobs
« on: September 7, 2012, 11:27:42 AM »
The new FAQs are up, version 1.1. Also, the version 1 of the Rulebook FAQ is posted.

Warhammer 40,000 Frequently Asked Questions: Page 2 | Errata and FAQ Articles |

Note the rulebook's FAQ page 2 - Ork Nobs are now type "Infantry," not "Infantry (Character)." Our beloved Nobs are no longer crazy killing machines (well, they can't snipe from bikes anymore). Before we all start basing our lists around this, I wanted to point this out. HOWEVER, all Nobs leading squads do count as characters (another FAQ note on the same page).

Other notes: Bomb Squigs are confirmed to NOT be able to hit zooming flyers, Waaaagh gets an update, Tankbuster Hammers and Big Choppas are defined, cover saves can be used against Deff Rollas, and Burnas are AP3 in close combat.

'ere we go!

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
Re: NEW FAQs are UP! Noted change for our Character Nobs
« Reply #1 on: September 7, 2012, 01:22:39 PM »
The biggie is no overwatch fire then PW with Burnas though. 
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline travisb7

• Ork Boy
« Reply #2 on: September 7, 2012, 01:44:33 PM »
The biggie is no overwatch fire then PW with Burnas though.

Even though it wasn't "clearly defined" originally, I felt it was obvious. You could only use the burnas as a template weapon OR power weapon per turn, but never both. This included firing burnas, charging in (using regular, non-power weapon attacks), then on your opponent's turn, STILL having to use non-power weapon attacks (if it was the same game turn), or at least that's how I always read it.

Burnas seem to me more about shooting first, not waiting to be charged. That, and I usually have them in a Battlewagon, so being individually charged isn't a problem.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 7, 2012, 05:39:10 PM »
My apologies for the brevity but I'm headed out the door at the moment.  Is this the same FAQ from the 6th Edition launch or did they bring out yet another one in short order?  It would seem weird for GW to do so since the last FAQ was only 2 months ago and as far as I know Orks haven't exactly been top tier in 6th what with the changes to Furious Charge and Waaagh movement.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #4 on: September 7, 2012, 05:42:04 PM »
They're new hence the "NEW" bit of the thread title.  ;)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 08:23:52 AM »
Don't forget to print out the one from Forge World as you will need it when using your IA8 army/allies.

One rule that you all should look out for is that in this edition templates (including the cursed pie plate) no longer have to cover a part of the base. ANY part of the model will do.
    I play a couple of rule lawyers at my LGS and discovered this rule the hard way. After a bit of rule looking upping I had to agree with them, and so they got to hit more orks than would have been possible with last edition rules.
    So when running your units against pie plate throwing armies, make sure to turn the models so that the ANY part will not net them another hit on your boys.

Unfortunately, even with this new edition, there are still WAAC players. Hmmm, I wonder, will there ever be a way to write the rules to prevent such a thing?
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline travisb7

• Ork Boy
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 08:32:17 AM »
One rule that you all should look out for is that in this edition templates (including the cursed pie plate) no longer have to cover a part of the base. ANY part of the model will do.

Ouch... Makes burna boyz, big shootas, and rokkits awkward since they protrude off of the base. Is it any part of the model, or any primary part, like the vehicle shooting rules that started appearing in either 4th or 5th that basically ignore antennas, tips of barrels, flags, and other ornaments?

Seems strange to me that my orks would constantly be running around the battlefield with their arms fully outstretched as some of the models look. I truly hope it at least ignores weapons since Big Shootas protrude at least half an inch off the base.

Unfortunately, even with this new edition, there are still WAAC players. Hmmm, I wonder, will there ever be a way to write the rules to prevent such a thing?

I mostly refuse to play against WAAC players. I didn't get into 40k to win, I got into it to paint little models and roll some dice with friends. Sadly, GW's games were not designed to be tournament games - they were designed to sell models. Its why they put the most important rule right at the front.

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 04:56:16 PM »
travis:  you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to gaming opponents.  The WAACs are always going to be there, and they'll be the ones who rules lawyer their way into first place at a tourney, play nice just enough not to get scored down on sportsmanship, and consistently field the "force of the month club" in order to crush everyone.  Play 'em whenever you can, you'll get more experience on tactics and strategy than by just playing the friendlies. 
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 07:01:45 PM »
    I play a couple of rule lawyers at my LGS and discovered this rule the hard way. After a bit of rule looking upping I had to agree with them, and so they got to hit more orks than would have been possible with last edition rules.

I've just checked this, template weapons (such as flamers) follow that rule but blast weapons including the pie plate clearly state base as what you count (main rules page 33).

travis:  you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to gaming opponents.  The WAACs are always going to be there, and they'll be the ones who rules lawyer their way into first place at a tourney, play nice just enough not to get scored down on sportsmanship, and consistently field the "force of the month club" in order to crush everyone.  Play 'em whenever you can, you'll get more experience on tactics and strategy than by just playing the friendlies. 

Balls to that. True there will always be people like that but I agree they're not worth wasting time on. There is a difference between being a good player and being a complete tool, just because someone has a big tally of wins doesn't automatically mean they're a good player, nor does it mean they have anything to teach you. ::)

Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline incredibleskulk

• Ork Boy | KoN Veteran
  • I think, therefore I win
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 04:47:20 PM »

cover saves can be used against Deff Rollas

'ere we go!

The FAQ specifically say that cover saves can be made against wounds caused by the deff rolla. To me that means only models with wounds can take a cover save against the deff rolla, so no claiming it on vehicles, which is what you should be hitting with a deff rolla!

Inc
The key to victory is the ratio of quantity divided by the ratio of quality multiplied by the points of an army, then times zero, minus how bad you roll dice on average.

Offline Idaho

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 09:58:31 AM »
As much as I hate playing against Ork Deff Rollas, why would cover saves only be limited to infantry and not vehicles in this case? Vehicles get cover saves too!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 12:01:57 PM »
Now the death rolla is and always has been an AP- weapon. I ask you: What is the point of a cover save against a death roller? This question must have been asked by a Nid player who wants his gaunts to get get a better save.

I would have to say that the cover save would have to be dependent on the cover the target unit is in. If a unit of gaunts is in the open (most likely scenario) then there is no cover to get a save from and they would have to rely on their normal armor save. If the gaunts are in a ruin, then they could scatter and hide, so the cover save from hiding in ruins would be better than their normal save.

As for vehicles getting a cover save, if your vehicle can somehow put cover between it and the rolla, then maybe it could be argued that the tank took less damage from the rolla plus having a wall falling on it.
     My personal opinion should be that additional hits should be incurred as there is now a building falling on your tank as well as a death roller ramming it. So it should be D6+1 per floor/story of the ruins/building that the target tank was trying to hide in/behind. Add in an AP rating as well, AP3 for a one story building, AP2 for a two story building, and AP1 for three or more stories.
     Of course, you could get a cover save as there might be a lucky I-beam that lands next to your tank and absorbs all the impact before it can crush your tank into a frisbee.  ;)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline incredibleskulk

• Ork Boy | KoN Veteran
  • I think, therefore I win
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 06:33:46 PM »
Well, i would think an i-beam would be pulverized easily by a str 10 deff rolla. That being said, the FAQ is very specific:

Q: Can cover saves be taken against Wounds caused by a deff rolla?
(p55)
A: Yes.

It clearly specifies wounds, not glancing or penetrating hits. It seems to specifically exclude vehicles in fact. However, you guys play it however you feel fit to, dont let me ruin your fun!

Inc
The key to victory is the ratio of quantity divided by the ratio of quality multiplied by the points of an army, then times zero, minus how bad you roll dice on average.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 06:57:11 PM »
[gmod]Don't try and (un)justify the FAQ ruling, just accept it as it is for the time being. It is as it is.[/gmod]
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.