News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 points Tzeentch Daemons Vs Orks: Crusade  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
1000 points Tzeentch Daemons Vs Orks: Crusade
« on: November 26, 2016, 06:24:45 PM »
The Vaults of Kekes'tular: Orks Vs Tzeentch Daemons, 1000 points

The best part of being Big Nob Hob was getting to feel the thunder in his chest every time the Mek Gunz fired. He and his boyz squatted on a low ridge next to a big battery of the fat-muzzled artillery, watching the weedy grots oil this and ratchet that and then, all of a sudden, one mad little grot pulled a lever and FOOOM--a great big bang and a whizz-bang black parabola of smoke ended in another super kaboom somewhere far away.

Sometimes they even hit the stuff they were aiming at.

"Ah." He said, lighting a fat squig-cigar on the red hot muzzle of the nearest gun. "This is the life, eh, Wort?"

Wort shrugged and, just for fun, caught a grot by the leg and tossed him into the barrel of one of the lobbas just before it fired. The grot, somehow, made it out alive. This seemed to disappoint Wort. "It's not bad."

"Not bad? NOT BAD?" Hob got up and fumbled with his shoota. "Dis here battery is the most fun I've had EVER!"

Wort stood up and pointed his shoota at Hob. "NO! THE MOST FUN I EVER HAD WAS THE TIME I KRUMPED THAT GIANT DISC WOT-NOT!"

"GUNZ!" Hob roared, firing a burst into the air.

"WOT-NOT!" Wort responded, leveling his gun at Hob's chin.

The other nobz sat down to watch the fight and started betting teeth on the winner when, to everyone's surprise, the thunder of the guns was drowned out by something...else.

It was a howl. The mournful, bloody wail of something...unnatur al. Several somethings, actually--several large, hungry, *violent* somethings. And they were coming for him. Of that he had no doubt. 

For the first time in a long, long time, Big Nob Hob felt just a little...well...sca red.

He laughed and slapped his big-horned helmet on his head. "Ho-ho, Wort me lad--fings have just got interestin', eh?"

Wort laughed and put on his helmet, too. "Oy, I hope they got big teeth. Still owe the mek for this shiny shoota."

Hob nodded, going through his own debts with some crude arithmetic that added up to the highest number Hob knew: Lotz. He slapped his old mate Wort on the shoulder. "I told yer the gunz was the best place to be!"

This battle is the continuation of the Ork portion of the ongoing campaign me and a few friends have going. Read about this set of missions here. Basically, the orks are headed north to try and pick some fights with Khorne rather than sneaky, weedy Tzeentch. Today, they need to do enough damage to my daemonic forces to secure their supply lines. Here are the lists:

Boss Naz-Finga's Rearguard
Ork Combined Arms Detachment

Warboss w/Eavy Armor, Headwoppa's Killchoppa, Bosspole (Warlord Trait: Bellowing Tyrant)

12 Slugga Boyz w/Nob (Klaw, Bosspole)
--in Trukk w/Reinforced Ram
12 Slugga Boyz w/Nob (Klaw, Bosspole)

1 Kopta w/Big Shootas
1 Kopta w/Big Shootas
1 Kopta w/Big Shootas

5 Lobbas w/4 Ammo Runts

Pile on the Pain Formation
Painboy
10 Ard Boyz w/Sluggas

5 Nobz w/WAAAGH Banner, Eavy Armor, Shootas

Deff Dred w/ 3x Klaws, Skorcha, Grot Riggers ("Francis")

The Coven of Ishlixx, Lord of Change
Chaos Daemons Combined Arms Detachment

Lord of Change w/Lv 3, Impossible Cloak, Lesser Reward (Staff of Change), Warlord (Incorporeal); (Psychic Powers: Cursed Earth, Flickering Fire, Bolt of Change)
Herald, Lv 2, w/Locus of Conjuration (Powers: Flickering Fire, Summoning)
Herald, Lv 2, w/Exalted Reward (Grimoire of True Names), (Powers: Flickering Fire, Summoning)

12 Horrors (Powers: Flickering Fire, Warpflare)
12 Horrors (Powers: Flickering Fire, Tzeentch's Firestorm)

5 Screamers

Burning Chariot
Burning Chariot

Terrain, Mission, and Deployment
The campaign called for this to be a Vanguard/Crusade mission at the edge of the jungle. Terrain featured a river in the NE alongside some ruins, a hill in the SE, a forest surrounding a waterfall in the SW, and a series of ridges in the NW. Add in a smattering of rocks, ridges, and the like, and we had plenty of cover, but very little to block LOS or slow down movement overmuch. There wound up being 5 objectives. One was at board center, one by the SE hill, one in the NE ruins, one by the SW waterfall, and one by the NW ridges - they all formed a kind of flattened X, with more objectives being clustered toward the south. 

I won the roll-off, and chose to deploy in the SE, placing my less-mobile army closest to the most objectives (4 within easy walking distance). It did give the orks some decent cover for their big guns, but I wasn't going to be shooting those guys anyway (shooting artillery is a colossal waste of time). I spread out my Horrors as best as possible across my DZ and then clustered the Lord of Change, Chariots, and Screamers along the southern edge of my zone. The book herald I put with the horrors on the hill, the Conjuration herald went with the horrors in the ruins.

My opponent put his three trukks and the Dread up front in his DZ, with the Warboss, Painboy, and Ard Boyz forming a tough-to-crack center. The Lobbas went behind the ridge (obviously) and the Nobz were tasked to babysit. The three Kotpas deployed along the north and scouted pretty deep into No Man's Land, ready to flank me.

Deployment

Tzeentch Deployment
Ork Deployment
Koptas Scout!

Turn 1
The Orks fail to steal the initiative and so I take the first turn. The idea, basically is to have the Horrors hang back and babysit a couple objectives while the faster stuff in my army zooms forward and lays waste to the Ork backfield/disrupts his assault. Accordingly, I move the chariots, screamers, and the Lord of Change forward and the Horrors climb into the ruins as much as possible while the other Horror group daisy-chains a single Horror forward to get a firing solution on some incoming trukks.

Of course, what I failed to consider was just how royally the psychic phase could beslubber me over. I got 5 dice on top of an 11 die base for a 16 die phase. Pretty damned good, right? Well, I spared 7 dice to summon up a pack of Flesh Hounds to help secure my flank against the Koptas and the rest was meant to go into shooting powers at the incoming enemy. The Horrors tried for a Lv 2 Flickering fire on 5 dice and got it...only to have it countered by a very good Deny the Witch roll. Okay, 4 dice left. One on a Bolt of Change from the Lord of Change that only managed to glance a trukk. The last two were for a Lv 1 Flickering Fire on the Lord of Change which went off...with 4 shots. It managed to stun the Warboss Trukk, which was something, but not enough AT ALL.

Okay, so to the shooting phase. First off, the Warp Storm gave me Yhwh-condemnedED snake on a plane WARP EBB. Again. I swear, it's like EVERY SINGLE Yhwh-condemnedED GAME.
It is at this point I also remember that I forgot to use the Grimoire of True Names on anyway. amphetamine parrot amphetamine parrot amphetamine parrot. 

Well, uhhh...the one Chariot goes for an undamaged Trukk and misses. Because of course. The other chariot makes up for it by hitting with some Pink Fire and blowing the southernmost Ork Trukk to smithereens, killing half the unit inside and blowing up a nob. That's something. Then, in a desperate (and rather foolish) move, I turboboosted the Screamers over the injured ork squad and killed another two guys, but then left my under-defended Screamers open to counter assault.

That's okay--they wouldn't be alone.

Top of Turn 1

Cruising Forward
Flesh Hounds on the scene!

The bottom of this turn ranks as one of the worst turns I've suffered in my twenty year 40K career. First, by some feat of geometry (somebody MUST have deployed improperly or moved too far, but I'm not sure who and it was stupid of me not to check), the far Trukk unit moved up, disembarked, and somehow managed an 8 inch assault move on my Horrors (which is really, REALLY shouldn't have been shorter than 12"...hmmmm...) and, predictably enough, killed them all dead (though I did take three or four orks with me). The Deff Dred got a charge on the northern Chariot (and that one was all my fault) and crushed it dead in short order. The Nobs and remaining boyz in the backfield charged the Screamers, and though I took two boys and a nob with me on the way out, they all died (thanks Warp Ebb!). THEN the Koptas and Lobbas rained fire on my last remaining Horror unit, sniping out the Herald on two consecutive failed Look Out Sir rolls.

So, let's do the math: Screamers + Chariot + 2 Heralds + Horrors = ~500 points.

That's half my army in one turn. Good God.

Oh, right--and the Warboss and his Ard Boyz disembarked from their stunned transport.

Bottom of Turn 1

So much for that "holding the backfield" thing
I don't see any reinforcements. Do you see any reinforcements?
The Warboss has come out to play.

Turn 2
Let it never be said that Wyddr is a crybaby. I probably cursed a bit, but then I pulled on my big-boy pants and powered through. I could still win this thing, sure! I've won games with one hand tied behind my back before! Excelsior!

Okay, so first order of business was how to salvage this horror show. First, the Flesh Hounds were needed to charge those slugga boyz that were now rampaging around my DZ, so they moved into position. Next, all the Horrors I had left I tried to squeeze into the ruins--not all of them made it, but enough. The Lord of Change moved to intercept the Dreadnought. The Chariot flew atop the waterfall and planned to light the Warboss and his boyz on fire. Okay, now the psychic phase:

Down to 4 dice base (shudder) and I rolled four more for an 8 die phase. Three dice went into a Bolt of Change that knocked a hull point off the Deff Dred and blew up the empty trukk in the far north (sweet). Another three dice went to a Warpflare that hit all three Koptas and the Boyz all at Strength 4. I rolled 4 shots on the first Kopta--no damage. 5 shots on the second Kopta--no damage. 7 Shots on the third Kopta--killing it. 8 shots on the Boyz, killing only one but then melting another one into goo with Warpflame. So, in other words, a really, really amphetamine parrotty output for that power. Random Strength and Random Shot Counts are not your friends, kids. The last two dice went into Cursed Earth on the Lord of Change, making him extra-special hard to kill with a 2++ rerollable save. You all shut up now with your "cheese" complaints. Man just killed half my army. Give a guy a break, huh?

For the rest of the turn, the Chariot laid a nice Torrent on the Ard Boys, hitting 6 and killing...one. And giving them even *better* Feel No Pain. Thanks, fellas.
The Lord of Change charged the Dreadnought and rolled pretty terribly, getting just one pen for a knocked-off klaw and putting the Dredd on the ropes. The Flesh Hounds charged the Boyz and ate them all up with little trouble. You know, now that I'm here thinking about it, I probably *should* have assaulted one of the Koptas with my Horrors, but I didn't. Live and learn, I guess.

Top of Turn 2

Clash of Titans!

In the bottom of the second turn, the Ard Boyz and Warboss and Painboy all charged my Lord of Change in the World's Biggest Rugby Scrum. The LoC got in a challenge with the Warboss but, again, only managed one wound ("rolling well" wasn't really in the cards for me this game). Their gigantic mountain of attacks did exactly nothing to the Incorporeal, Impossible Cloaked, Cursed-Earthed Lord of Change, and everybody stayed locked in combat. The Lobbas bombarded the Flesh Hounds, killing one, while the Nobz and remaining slugga boyz moved towards the center of the board. Both Koptas charged the Horrors, killing two but taking a wound in return. The Horrors stuck around.

Bottom of Turn 2

Everybody wants Big Bird's autograph

Turn 3
Okay, okay--I'm not out of this yet. Him charging all his guys into combat with the Lord of Change actually did me a *ton* of favors--there is just no way they were going to chew through all his wounds so long as I kept Cursed Earth up. Furthermore, since my Horrors are locked in combat, there really isn't anything else I can cast *except* Cursed Earth, so I did with all my dice. Invincible Monster FTW!

Anyway, the Lord of Change killed the Warboss dead this turn, making him explode with the Staff of Change, which killed another one Ard Boy. All of their attacks managed one wound, I think, but otherwise everything was fine.

The Horrors, in their ongoing battle with the Koptas, did one wound to the *other* Kopta and took another casualty. The Koptas managed to Hit And Run out of combat at the end of the turn to get a charge next time.

The Flesh Hounds loped forward and tried for an easy 8 inch charge on the nobz while the Chariot positioned itself to kill the boyz. NO DICE. The Flesh Hounds flubbed their charge, even with Fleet, while the Chariot managed to flame a nob and a boy to death and then charge the last boy and the wounded nob in that squad. Two ork wounds for one chariot shouldn't be that hard to get, right? Well, color me surprised when it came to pass that my 3 Hammer of Wrath hits and 4 basic attacks only killed one stupid ork. Then the Nob turned around and power klawed my chariot into oblivion.

So, yeah. Things keep looking up.

Top of Turn 3

In the bottom of 3, the Lobbas bombarded the Flesh Hounds again, killing another one. The Koptas charged back into combat (oh, and its worth noting that every round of combat pretty much saw one Kopta pass its Fear Test and the other Kopta fail, so we started calling them "cowardly" and "brave" as shorthand). They killed all but one Horror, but that guy stuck around.

In the Main Event, the Lord of Change smashed the Deff Dredd into spare parts and took no damage from the piddling mortals hacking at its big feathery legs.

Bottom of Turn 3

Not a lot of daemons on this board
One Horror Left (map above is a bit off)

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: 1000 points Tzeentch Daemons Vs Orks: Crusade
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 06:25:34 PM »
Turn 4
This turn, the Lord of Change finally paid some attention to those little green ants hassling its legs and slaughtered the entire unit of Ard Boys wholesale (well, stomped dead about three of them and then ran the rest down). It was now free to kill again.

In this turn also I made another tactical error, though a relatively slight one. Had I been thinking in terms of objectives, I might have opted to killing the last remaining trukk with the Flesh Hounds instead of charging the Lobbas, as I did. The Lobbas, you see, weren't ever going to score an objective other than the one they were sitting on, nor were the Nobs. However, getting bombarded for the whole games by those damned things made me a little squirrelly (indeed, this entire game had done that), so I charged the damned lobbas and my flesh hounds feasted well on the flesh of weedy little grots. The artillery was quickly wiped out.

As for the ongoing battle with the Koptas and the last horror, that particular horror must have been on scary little dude, since both koptas failed their fear tests and didn't do any damage. Neither did the horror. The Koptas tried to hit-and-run, but didn't pull it off.

Top of Turn 4

Free At Last!

In the bottom of turn 4, the lone Nob, being pretty proud of himself after taking out that Chariot, decided to take a swing at the Lord of Change. He was quickly eaten. The Nobz shot the Flesh Hounds, killing one, then charged, but in combat *everybody* whiffed, so they stayed put.

In my DZ, the lone horror's luck ran out--he was killed by orks in gyrocopters.

Bottom of 4

Turn 5
Okay, okay--a turn too late to think about end game, but here we go. At the moment, I have a chance to win this game--I have first blood, Warlord, and Linebreaker. I just need a plurality of objectives and, against all odds, I may just pull this thing off. The Lord of Change flew back to assault the kopta in the ruins, killing it good and dead. In the psychic phase, I had it all lined up to nuke the *other* kopta with a Lv 2 Flickering Fire. I rolled and got two successes. My opponent rolled his two (only *two*) deny the witch dice and gets...boxcars.

beslubber you, psychic phase.

Then, to add insult to injury, my flesh hounds continue to fail against the two nobs in the DZ and are killed. amphetamine parrot.

Top of Turn 5

In the Ork turn, they currently have control of two objectives--one by the hill in my DZ, one in their DZ. They also have linebreaker, for a score of 7 to my 5 (one objective, Warlord, and First Blood). He drives his last trukk flat-out to claim a central objective, managing to get three objectives for a score of 10.

Bottom of 5

Now, if I get another turn, I can kill the Kopta on the other objective. Heck, with a lucky psychic phase (HA!), I might just be able to kill the kopta *and* the trukk. With two more turns, I'm reasonably confident I can win the game.

So, we roll for a new turn. I get a 2.
Of course.

Objective 1
Objective 2
Objective 3
Objective 4

And that's game.

Final Score
Chaos Daemons: 5
Orks: 10

Post-Mortem
Okay, so that was a rough game. I made the most of it--*almost* pulled it off--but that first turn was horrible, horrible, horrible. Part of it was sloppiness (still don't know how the trukk boyz pulled that assault off), part of it was just abysmal luck, but most of it was the bloody psychic phase.

I play Tzeentch and Thousand Sons off and on regularly over the years, and the psychic phase as always sucked, but this edition gives it now even more heart-rending ways to be terrible. The sheer, insurmountable randomness of the phase is almost intolerable. In the old days, it was much more reliable but also terribly underpowered so that it amounted to a really expensive extra shooting phase that mostly didn't help. This edition there is plenty of power to be had in the psychic phase, you just can't have it when you want it. This is doubly true for Tzeentch who, while they can stack LOTS of dice in the psychic phase, are forced to use that phase for nearly all of their offensive output and, furthermore, that output suffers from ridiculousness like random numbers of shots, random strength, and random AP. And then there's warpflame, which makes the enemy stronger just about as often as it makes him weaker.

Without the psychic phase (and, like this game, it is prone to abandon you at the worst times), Tzeentch is just an army of naked, unarmed gribbles just waiting to die. Yes, yes I got Cursed Earth off for the whole game and that, in and of itself, made this game a near-win, but I'm really starting to question the viability of this force in general. Yeah, if things work, everything is okay, but between the Warp Storm table and the ridiculously randomized psychic phase on which I *must* rely for all of my offense, one wonders if it's worth it.

Anyway, this was a fun game despite it all--a very silly and random game, to be sure--and I hope I turn in a better performance next time. The Ork supply lines are secure for the next game in the campaign, too. Thanks for reading and thanks, as always, to my opponent!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:38:26 PM by Wyddr »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 05:46:34 AM »
You know what I think about the rules for seventh edition 40K, so I'm the last person to dissuade you about the excessive randomness that has been brought into the rules.  It's certainly one of the reasons that I no longer play.

Your dice were terrible in this game.  It made for a tense and unpredictable report, which was a lot of fun to read, but I could certainly sense your frustration.  The Lord of Change did a great job teaching those Orks who is the master in the assault phase though, which was satisfying, but sending the Fleshounds into the Lobbas was a mistake in my opinion.  I know that they were a pain, but as you said they couldn't move forward to claim objectives.

Still the biggest problems were the first turn assault and the terrible psychic phases.  Just one of those things in both cases, and despite the horror turn you remained in contention right up until the end, so I reckon you did very well to come back from that start.

The terrain was fantastic.  I really like the waterfall.

Thanks for the report :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 07:53:48 AM »
You're welcome!
Yeah, that waterfall is pretty sweet, isn't it? Got it off eBay along with a lot of other water terrain for about 75 USD--good deal.

I should have charged the Trukk, yeah. I believe my thinking at the time was the Flesh Hounds wouldn't have had much trouble with the Nobz and could have caught up with it later, but that was optimistic.

As for the rules, I don't have any real problem with the *rest* of the phases in 7th. The psychic phase, however, needs at least one level of randomness removed. Either let me pick the powers, let them go off automatically, or eliminate "deny the witch." Also, for the love of God, Tzeentch needs to stop with the "random shots/random strength" nonsense. If the new Ksons have more of that garbage, I'm going to pitch a fit.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 09:55:25 AM »
Thank you for a fun and bonkers fight, Wyddr. I was amazed at how well I did on the first turn charge too.  I am learning that it's good to have a lot of trukks since if you kill or disable one or two, there are still others left to cruise forward.  Plus, those lobbas are a low cost and annoying unit, and the 12 point investment in 4 ammo runts paid off on being able to re-roll the scatter die twice and luckily get direct hits.

I would like to hear any critiques about what I did in this battle, if there's anything I might have been able to do better or smarter.  I don't think I made any major mistakes in my strategy but I'm sure there are places I could improve.

As for the Boyz charge, I do think you moved up your daemons a little bit, so they might have been a little closer than 24". You can kind of see the lead daemon, the eager one that likes to fall down, behind the rock in the deployment picture.  In the cruising forward picture he's beyond the rock.  If anything, I think it's the fact we don't have actual line markers on the map when we do this kind of deployment.  It makes everything a little less definite when we're measuring distances from the imaginary center line.  Whatever happened, it's a learning experience.

I look forward to our next battle as the Orks look to loot the plains for trophies.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 10:40:22 AM »
I think what probably happened is that I moved my guys forward too much, yeah. Which means I wasn't watching my ranges, which is a really unpardonable mistake against the orks. I was pretty sure I was going to blow up your trukks, though--they are just so squishy.

But then the psychic phase screwed me over, as always.

As for your strategy, Roboknee, I don't think you did anything especially wrong. I wouldn't have willingly charged the Ard Boyz at the Lord of Change, but I'm not sure you had a lot of other options at the time.

This loss, though, was more on me playing like an idiot in turn 1 and you just charging straight at me. Not a lot of tactical depth on display, you know?

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 11:00:41 AM »
Yeah, the like to blow up good.  Which an Ork would take as being pretty awesome, so it's all good.

Yeah, the Psychic Phase does do that pretty regularly for you.  I'd almost like to see how it would go when it doesn't screw you over.  Almost.

I don't think I had much of an option there either.  I probably could have had them go toward the chariot and leave Francis to fight the Lord of Change.  Then you probably would have had the Lord head for the 'Ard Boyz and tie them up afterward.

Well, I'm learning with the Orks, keep it simple, move fast, and die young.

Offline Scorn

• Supreme Archon of Commorragh | Nasty Sky Juice | Title (and/or) Whore |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 02:32:16 AM »
Great report as usual, thanks for the write-up and the photographs.

Rejoice.  Despair. 
Fate does not care.
Each knotted mind entwined. 
Each soul another's bind.
And blind though we are led. 
In time we do know when, to cut a thread.
-Erfworld

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 08:21:34 AM »
A great krumping for the orks. I'm curious with how you felt the big shootas  on the koptas performed over the rokkit load out. I've never seen a reason to take the shootas over rokkits. I'd also suggest outflanking at least one of them to cause some later turn disruption. A single buzzsaw would also work well, especially with orks low initiative, they're hitting last in most cases anyways.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 09:36:54 AM »
As the target of the big shootas, I would have vastly preferred he took rokkits. Daemons really don't give a crap about your low AP or anti-tank potential.

Well, not much, anyway.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 10:17:26 AM »
Wyddr just said in fewer words what I was in the middle of writing when he posted it.  Still gonna write it anyway.

Well, I wasn't sure what I would be up against, other than lots of horrors, the screamers and at least one chariot after our last battle.  I wasn't expecting a lord of change or another chariot, mostly because I don't know much about other armies outside of Orks and what Wyddr has already fielded against me.  I'm still learning and experimenting, so my armies probably aren't the most optimized.

Anyway, I picked the big shootas since I thought 9 shots with re-rolls would be better than 3 shots with re-rolls against his horrors.  I hadn't really faced anything that needed lower AP with the daemons until this battle.  The same goes as to why I didn't pick up the buzzsaw, I saw that as something that would be helpful against a vehicle.  Plus, this is the first time I've actually gotten the koptas into close combat. So, I can't really say how I feel about shootas vs. rokkits other than I went for volume of fire over effectiveness of hits.  Especially with the Orks 'orrible ballistic skills.

As for Outflanking, I really realize that I could keep them in reserve and attempt to come in on a different edge of the board.  I thought Outflank was it's own rule, not part of Scout.  This is good to know, since the next battle in this campaign is Pillage, which starts with only 1 HQ and 2 Troops on the board.  Everything else is in reserve to start the game.  Thank you for the suggestion Dog, this will be very helpful.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 06:55:43 PM »
Keeping the big shootas might help keep them out of harms way with their longer range too. I'm assuming the 2++ on the Lord of Change was a daemon invulnerable save, so you're right that there wasn't much a buzzsaw, powerklaw or rokkit would be beneficial at killing. With that in mind, dropping the nobz poweklaws for big choppas would give you some extra points and maybe dropping Francis' extra klaw for a big shoota or scorcha.

If you're looking to try some new units you may want to try some meganobz. A small unit of 3 could weather quite a bit of punishment and can be armed with kombi-scorchas they can lay down some good initial shooting damage before getting stuck in combat. Another fun unit would be some burna boyz in a trukk. Doing drive by flaming is always fun.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: December 1, 2016, 08:23:42 AM »
Yeah, the 2++ was Lord of Change's invulnerable save with re-rolls on ones.  So, I think I did about two dozen hits on him and managed one wound.  I really don't like Cursed Earth.

I've thought about Burna Boys in a Trukk, I've seen other sites discuss the joy of stacking 8 flamer templates on top of each other and wiping out units.  I'm just afraid their trukk would blow up so fast.  So very, very fast.

Meganobz in a trukk, on the other hand, I'm less afraid of the trukk blowing up.  They could probably weather the hits from the explosion.  And I do like the idea of chainsaw hands.