News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Scratchbuilding bonesword... Kinda (WIP)  (Read 6636 times)

Offline Exalted One

• Maker of invisible seams
Scratchbuilding bonesword... Kinda (WIP)
« on: September 9, 2010, 04:35:57 AM »
Yo.

I got tired of trying to find more bonesword for my swarmlord, so I started making them, despite my earlier rather pitifull attempts of trying to sculpt hard plastic. First I tried to use some random piece I found, but the pastic was too soft.

It came out fine though, so I guess I'll use it, but the work was really annoying so I racked my brain; where I could get tha same plastic that the models are made? At least a sword sized piece.
Then I got it: the top of the predator piece that comes with the rhino set. Its a bit thing, but I figured it is gonna need some greenstuffing anyway, so I gave it a go.

First cut the shape of the sword:

Then sharpen it:

Cut the places of the "teeth" in place:

Then sharpen those with a very thin round file:

That's how far I've gotten, still need to do the greenstuffing, and make the hand. I was thinking of making a tutorial pdf of this, complete with pics of tools needed and everything. Oh, and crop the pics, they have been taken with my cell phone's camera.  :D

What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 9, 2010, 04:46:43 AM by Exalted One »
The glass is not half full. If its half full its not my glass. MY glass was entirely full! And bigger!

Offline Exalted One

Re: Scratchbuilding bonesword... Kinda (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 01:14:53 PM »
Only a little progress today.

Finishing to carve the sword's near hilt area.

Then some greenstuff for making up the missing parts

Any comments and ideas are welcome!
The glass is not half full. If its half full its not my glass. MY glass was entirely full! And bigger!

Offline Nomsheep, the Modhunter.

• Sanity is for the weak,
  • Armies: Dark eldar and sons of malice.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 07:32:04 PM »
this is cool :)
Someday someone will say something about me witty or memorable enough to put here til then enjoy this;
Rule 66: the cake is a lie

Working tirelessly to revive BattleFleet Fury

WE need YOU

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 07:41:24 PM »
Those are EXTREMELY impressive. I'd be hard pressed to tell the real ones from the converts after painting. Far better than begging/ stealing/ giving a savage physical beating to whomever had the spares.

Offline Exalted One

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 04:26:42 AM »
Thanks! To myself, the best thing about those are that they are plastic instead of metal, and are way easier to magnetize.  :)

Offline Exalted One

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 01:37:29 PM »
A little proggress again today. I still can't find the recharger for my camera, so cell phone photos it is..  :P

A poor pic from one of the arms that's gonna be swinging one of those swords of mine to come.

Here's the lot. Still some greenstuffing to do when the blades are attached to the arms, and one arm still lacks fingers and boneplates.

Offline Exalted One

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 05:40:01 AM »
Here's a couple more shots of my unpainted but otherwise finnished swarmlord:

And some WIP pics of the tervigon, while i'm at it. The gaunt still needs a toxin sack.

Offline Exalted One

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 03:59:11 PM »
Done with the swords. And with the rest too, for that matter.

Not too happy about the swords' colours though, maybe more brown and yellow would have been the ticket? Oh, well, at least you can easily see how they blend in with the original sword.

Here's the reason why this took so long. All these guys were in the line before my swarmlord.

Still happy to hear comments and ideas!  :)

Edit: You can zoom in on the pics with cntrl+mousewheel, they're pretty big.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 04:05:30 PM by Exalted One »

Offline Scorpfan87

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 04:09:40 PM »
Those Mycetic spores are probably the best I have seen!

Offline Exalted One

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 07:46:30 AM »
Wow, thanks!  ;D

I didn't like the white, so I repainted the swords.

I really think my swarmlord looks happier with the new blades! :)

This is what happens when you go too far in magnetizing your 'fex arms.

Offline Carni-Kang

• Cute? I'll show you cute....
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 10:18:11 AM »
I do believe I love you.
The conversions are awesome, and the Swarmlord looks amazing.
Love the Carnifexes too, the paint-job on all of it must have taken a good bit of time and effort...
"I saw Luscius get eaten by a Hive Tyrant. Haven't seen him since."  Ahriman of the Thousand Sons

Offline SpadeS

• Well hi thar :3
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 08:31:27 PM »
Someone MAY have already asked, but can you PLEASE show us how you made those wonderful spores!

Offline POD DROPPA-Drop Pods are down but not out!!

• FIRST TO STRIKE FIRST TO WIN
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 08:36:35 PM »
Did you make those spores or are they forge world?

Offline Exalted One

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 02:13:20 AM »
 :) Those are actually quite easy to make. They were made from styrox eggs. First I used the GW hot wire cutter to cut it in octagonal shape, flattened its bottom and put it on a thick carton base. I'm mentioning the fact that it was the GW cutter, because everybody's always badmouthing it. It happened to have just perfect cutting powers for this job. Cut all sides from the same direction and do the cutting with twitching motions  to get those lines. Try to make an entire side with just one cut. You might want to get an extra piece of styrox for practising that. And draw the sides to the egg with a marker. You might also want to consider making it to have seven sides instead of eight, it saves you quite a bit of greenstuff.  :D

Then I cut it open from the top and covered the whole thing with PVC glue. The spikes are from the carnifex kit. The other ends of the spikes are flat and need to be sharpened. I used a wire cutter to cut the flat part into a similar shape as the spike on the other end, and then just stab it in the styrox.
Then some greenstuff.

The ripples over the scales are easy to make, just make sure they flow as smoothly as possible to the styrox, otherwise they show a bit too well after painting.

The scales are a bit harder, depending on the shape. Start from up, from the smallest scales, that way you won't mess the tips when you're making the ends. If you want sharp scales, I found it easiest to make them by making a tear drop shape and while flattening it, not touching the tip at all.

I cut the other one's top a bit too open, but then found out that I can put the torso of my carnifex there to creep my opponents out. (It's magnetized from the waist.) :-)

Hope this helps!

Offline CDN

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 11:50:44 AM »
WOW thats awesome.  Now where did you get the arms and how did you make them?  Also with your tervigon how did you make the head?  In the one PIC with Swarm lord, tervigon, Spore.  who are those guys on the side?
The Heroic Code:  Always excel and outdo the others and don't make your ancestors ashamed.

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 12:54:54 PM »
This is fantastic. Very good conversions. Some of the best I've seen. Thanks for posting this.

Offline Exalted One

Re: Scratchbuilding bonesword... Kinda (WIP) Done. With pics.
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 04:14:24 AM »
WOW thats awesome.  Now where did you get the arms and how did you make them?  Also with your tervigon how did you make the head?  In the one PIC with Swarm lord, tervigon, Spore.  who are those guys on the side?

Thx! :D The arm with the black blade is the stranglethorn cannon arm, but the twinlinked deathspitter arms would have worked as well. The other arms are scything talon arm, and the stranglethorne cannon's left arm. The tervigon's head is just a 'fex's head with trygons mandibles. (the smaller ones, respectfully) Oh, and I always file the fex's jaws a bit different. I dont like the beak kind of thing they have on their jaw. (also the tyrant lost it's pointless beard-thingy, it's now on the hadle of the black bladed sword!  :D). The smaller guys with the tervigon, and, uh, well,  tyrant, are 2nd edition zoathropes, that have headswaps from current tyranid warrior, and handswaps from the old genestealer model.

Offline wolfbane007

• so you think your tough... Do you?
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 12:30:16 AM »
all i can say is that all of them are extremlly impressive. I'm looking foward to the PDF on how to make a bonesword. CAN'T WAIT!!! ;)
Michael W :P

Offline Exalted One

Re: Scratchbuilding bonesword... Kinda (WIP) Tutorial now ready!
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 03:48:23 PM »
Huzzah! Tutorial almost done! You can download it from here and tell me your opinion. I haven't made it into a pdf yet.

//EDiT: Wow, over 60 viewers an not a single comment!  :D Come on! There most be something wrong with it?  ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:20:53 AM by Exalted One »

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
Re: Scratchbuilding bonesword... Kinda (WIP) Tutorial now ready!
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 07:40:09 PM »
//EDiT: Wow, over 60 viewers an not a single comment!  :D Come on! There most be something wrong with it?  ;)

Well, since you ask, the 5th page is blank. :p

But other then that, its awesome!  I like the way the photos are really step by step.  Really easy to understand.

Now I'm looking at my box of random tank bits from Games Day events a lot differently..... I think I might be able to give boneswords to warriors with this in mind!

Cheers!  8)
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.