News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Suit army as allies  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Galef

Suit army as allies
« on: February 6, 2014, 12:31:10 AM »
Hello everyone, I play Eldar and have always been interesting in an all suit Tau army.

I have been working of some conversions to use Wraithgaurd w/ jetpacks as Crisis suits, Broadsides and an Iridium Commander:  Glenn's GW Models: Wraith construct Tau allies

For my Eldar list I will have a Farseer on jetbike, 2 units of 6 jetbikes w/ shuricannons, 2 units of 7 Avengers in Wave Serpents & 2 Fire Prisms. I will also have a defense line w/ Comms Relay for the jetbikes.

Here is what I want to add:

Iridium armour Commander (Wraithlord model)
---2 Missile pods, Drone Controller, Target lock & Puretide Engram

2 units of 10 Fire Warriors (Wraith drones) behind the Defence line.  These guys are really just to take advantage of the Supporting Fire rule and claim objectives.

2 Crisis suits w/ 2 M.pods each.  Possibly deep striking, or as a body guard for the Farseer (who will be casting Prescience & Guide onto Fire Warriors or Fire Prisms).

2 Broadsides w/ Missiles & Target locks
---4 Missile Drones.
----------------------------------------------------
The idea is for the Commander & Broadsides to deploy in the center, flanked by the Fire Warriors.  That will give me 4 Missile shots from the Commander at 1 target, 8 Missile shots using his BS at another target, and each Broadside getting all their Twin-linked shots at 2 more targets.  So I can use this 1 unit to target 1-4 separate targets and they all get Tank Hunter or Monster Hunter.

That should provide a high priority target to take some pressure off of the Serpents, Prisms & Jetbikes
« Last Edit: February 6, 2014, 12:34:24 AM by Galef »
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Suit army as allies
« Reply #1 on: February 6, 2014, 08:58:55 AM »
If memory serves, the Drone Controller does not work with missile drones. Double check the wargear entry, but I recall running across this before. Doesn't mean your plan won't work, just that it won't work as well.

As a general rule, I've found that I usually want all my missile pods shooting at the same thing, anyway. Splitting your fire usually backfires.

Offline Galef

Re: Suit army as allies
« Reply #2 on: February 6, 2014, 12:01:16 PM »
Good catch on the Drone controller. I knew they affected 3 types of Drones and forgot about Sniper Drones.

I will swap them for Marker drones so that the Crisis suits and Fire Warriors can benefit. That way the Target locks on the Broadsides & Commander have more of a purpose.

I would probably shoot both Broadsides at a single target anyway, but Target locks are so cheap for the versatility.

I only have Drones in the list as extra wounds and to help "sell" the conversions on the table. I don't want my opponents to have any doubt what I am playing.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar