News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: DE Tourney Army 2000pts  (Read 1091 times)

Offline ((MiniDooMarn))

DE Tourney Army 2000pts
« on: August 22, 2008, 08:28:04 AM »
Going to a tournament later this year and since I don't feel like painting lots of Orks I'm gonna bring along my DE. The tournament will be "comp-less"

Archon w/ Punisher, Combat Drugs & Tormentor Helm
7 Incubis
Raider w/ Disintegrator
Will probably stay in the portal and then leap out and butcher what's in it's way, one of my favourite units but I'm gonna try out how it works when you don't give the Archon the mandatory SF & AV.

Dracon w/ Punisher, Combat Drugs, Tormentor Helm, Animus Vitae & Reaper Jetbike
Now that you can have two-handed weapons on a bike I've been wanting to try out this guy, can exchange the Archon so he gets the Dracons kit but I feel that a proper leader needs his Incubis ;).

10 Wyches w/ Wych Weapons, 2 Blasters, Plasma Grenades; Succubus w/ Agoniser
Raider w/ Torture Amp
People seem to like Wyches and I haven't tried them out properly and they seem to be good if they get a proper roll on the CDs.

20 Warriors w/ 2 Splinter Cannons, 2 Blasters; Sybarite w/ Agoniser & Webway Portal
They'll rush forward and deploy the portal and then go objective hunting, can handle most units with the given kit.

18 Warriors w/ 2 Splinter Cannons, 2 Blasters; Sybarite w/ Agoniser & Webway Portal
Same as the other big Warrior unit.

10 Warriors w/ 2 Dark Lances & 2 Blasters
No matter how I do I always seem to need at least two sniper squads and since our Blasters are so cheap they are a good addition if the targets get close. Will try to cripple transports and tanks that can blow up everything that's a threat :P.

10 Warriors w/ 2 Dark Lances

4 Reavers; Succubus w/ Punisher & Tormentor Helm
Will start in the portal and then go MEQ hunting with the Dracon.

x3 Talos
The only good Heavy Support choice now IMO and it's brutal in combat when you add another unit to the charge.

94 Models + 2 Vehicles
5 Scoring Units
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 07:07:09 AM by ((MiniDooMarn)) »
Ancalla face mea laganum

Offline Sir Sam Vimes

• Wych
  • Pontificator Extremis of Goovil
    • http://amrothdin.deviantart.com/
Re: DE Tourney Army 2000pts
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 09:33:22 AM »
Nice list, although IMO not enough skimmers :o

But this is a WWP army so I guess that doesn't matter.

Dunno about the Animus, the Amplifier and the multitude of blasters. I feel like you could use those points on something better, something that isn't useless ::)

Good luck with the tourny!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:48:36 AM by His Grace the Duke of Ankh, Commander Sir Sam Vimes »

Offline ArchonDragomyr

• Dracon
  • "Confidence is my weapon, arrogance my armor"
    • Kabal of the Black Talon
  • Armies: Drukhari, Eldar
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 09:43:28 AM »
It is a pretty decent list.  Not that harsh on VP's as some air born list.  You don't need skimmers if you play the objective early on.

I think 7 Incubi and Lord is a bit much it will definately work, but you could get a warp beast squad if you drop 2 Incubi and I would recommend the Agonizer for the Archon as the Incubi have the rest covered.  Also, a xenospasm to take advantage of his shooting ability.

No plasma grenades in the whole list, or haywires :(  Drop the blasters off the sniper squads and make room for some of these things.

Torture Amp is really not necessary.

I would put both raiders, 2 Talos and possibly the reavers w/ Dracon attached into the portal.
"The Few, The Proud, The Raging Beasts."

Offline Grumpy Kwi

• Archite
  • Ancient
  • Ask me for the DE True Type Font
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 01:03:34 PM »
I too like your list and just a few tweaks and leaks that should be considered but its all up to you. So I will give some ideas to think about.

Archon w/ Punisher, Combat Drugs & Tormentor Helm
7 Incubis
Raider w/ Disintegrator
Will probably stay in the portal and then leap out and butcher what's in it's way, one of my favourite units but I'm gonna try out how it works when you don't give the Archon the mandatory SF & AV.

Third most important piece of wargear to any DE lord or squad is plasma grenades. Do not wast the lords god-like initiative when you charge into cover - even the Incubi's initiative is worth saving as you don't want to strike at initiative "1" (its embarassing!).

I too believe the size of the squad is too big. Incubi are a "hot knife" and the mon-keigh are like "butter" and this squad would be some serious overkill against all the other races (except for chaos). I would trim it down to 5.

I also like the agoniser for the Archon when he is in a squad of punishers. You will not notice the change much until you get charged by a carnifex or wraithlord. Just an optional idea.

Dracon w/ Punisher, Combat Drugs, Tormentor Helm, Animus Vitae & Reaper Jetbike
Now that you can have two-handed weapons on a bike I've been wanting to try out this guy, can exchange the Archon so he gets the Dracons kit but I feel that a proper leader needs his Incubis ;).

If this had been my list (and had to play with what you suggested) I would have traded the lords with each other:

Archon on a bike - he already has the gear to be a terror on a bike.
Dracon with the Incubi - still a power house "hammer" unit

Reason:

The IC on a bike will always need a shadowfield (2++ is better than 5+)
The IC with a retinue doesn't need a shadowfield (new retinue rules)

Overall I would have made the Arhon a lone foot slogger and have him placed in either wych squad or the Incubi squad. I still feel an Archon on foot is faster than being on a bike and thus more useful.

10 Wyches w/ Wych Weapons, 2 Blasters, Plasma Grenades; Sybarite w/ Agoniser
Raider w/ Torture Amp

First, change the name from "Sybarite" to "Succubus" - wych type units use succubi, warrior type units use sybarites.

Definitely drop the amp - the raiders AV is too low and a bolt pistol can take it down. Save your transports for...transporting and on the last turn use them for contesting. I would consider a horrorfex as to pin any possible counter-chargers.

20 Warriors w/ 2 Splinter Cannons, 2 Blasters; Sybarite w/ Agoniser & Webway Portal
They'll rush forward and deploy the portal and then go objective hunting, can handle most units with the given kit.

I love this unit in general but consider using them for a fire base rather than an assault unit. They shoot better than they assault and usually an opponent will tend to shoot large squads like this until they are gone so the agoniser is going to be a waste. Switching the agoniser and pistol out for poison blades and a rifle would be the best of both worlds. If they are assaulted the tend to act like a "tarpit" (as they tend to strike first) will have a good number of attacks anyway. So I use mine primarily for shooting and moving up the field and if they get assaulted they have a little "sting" to them without much investment - try it, I know you will like it.

18 Warriors w/ 2 Splinter Cannons, 2 Blasters; Sybarite w/ Agoniser & Webway Portal
Same as the other big Warrior unit.

Pretty much the same as above. Don't under estimate the rapid fire potential of this unit, I have twice now put 2 wounds (on two separate occasions) on a carnifex from the splinter rifle shots alone (death by armor save!).

No matter how I do I always seem to need at least two sniper squads and since our Blasters are so cheap they are a good addition if the targets get close. Will try to cripple transports and tanks that can blow up everything that's a threat :P.

Although I really do not like sniper squads I will have to admit with needing more "troops" in your list and the new line of sight rules they have become an ok choice. I still think they are not optimized but it aint no big deal - I do like the blaster addition though.

4 Reavers; Sybarite w/ Punisher & Tormentor Helm
Will start in the portal and then go MEQ hunting with the Dracon.

First change the name from "Sybarite" to "Succubus" - reaver jetbike squads are operated by wyches so get your fluff corrected.

I am not a big bike fan but this looks like a fun unit. If you had a lord on a bike then I would have the lord ride with this unit. With the lord they are almost a full fledged close combat unit (although I think it needs at least one more bike to do so). As is they are strictly a "support" unit - either support the shooting of your list or support the close combat units. I would be very careful however as most opponents will shoot bikes at all costs regardless of how effective they are - its just something about bikes that drive opponents in to a "tizzy". Hug cover and turbo-boost when your not shooting or assaulting.

x3 Talos
The only good Heavy Support choice now IMO and it's brutal in combat when you add another unit to the charge.

I disagree but don't get me wrong, I love the talos as well too. Try it out and have fun. I tend to find the Talos as very unpredictable in close combat and I am not crazy about using them for punching tanks. By taking 3 of them however you can minimize the randomness and the portal should get them where you need them.

Just some basic thoughts - good luck and happy hunting!

Offline ((MiniDooMarn))

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 04:17:11 PM »
Played some matches versus CSM, ended with 2 wins and 1 loss which brings the army up to 4 Won/1 Draw/2 Losses. Marines are quite easy to kill but those damn Daemons sure are scary :-\.

The Incubi and Archon did as expected, slaughtered everything that it got in contact with and eventually got no targets left, 2 Incubis will be dropped since they almost always overkilled anyway.

The Archon will have his equipment swapped with the Dracon so he will be following the Reavers and the Dracon will be getting the Incubis, the Punisher for the Dracon will be exchanged for a Agoniser but I'm uncertain whether or not to include a Xenospasm. It is potentially deadly but that also goes for my own troops which do not like it when S3 blasts which ignore their armour starts falling on them. The new scatter rules make me wonder whether it's worth the risk.

The Dracon and Incubis will be getting PGs.

The plan on Tank Shocking didn't work so I quickly changed the Torture Amp for another Disintegrator.

The two big Warrior units will stay as they are. They may be a little unwieldy but since the opponent has to kill them all to eliminate them from being scoring they attract a lot of firepower that could be dangerous against other units. The Agoniser has saved me from Marines several times and there's simply no reason to remove it. They are used as a mobile firebase that are able to counter most units.

The Reavers did quite good but as mentioned they do attract quite a lot of firepower. Used as a psychological weapon they are very fun to play with :D.

I've got 43pts to play around with with the given changes, any ideas on what to include?.  One way is to just change two Talos into Ravagers with 3 Disintegrators each and be prepared to be called beardy ;). Got pretty much every unit that the army has to offer so there's a lot of choices.
Ancalla face mea laganum

Offline ArchonDragomyr

• Dracon
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 08:03:37 PM »
You could find the points and include a squad of warp beast, a smallish squad is 51 points if memory serves.  Have them behind some warriors as counter assault.

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 08:58:33 PM »
If you have the ability to model them, I would drop the blasters from the sniper squads and give them to the RJB squads.  At only 4 strong, you'll have the flexibility to go tank hunting with them or cleave a wound or two off of that squad you are fixing to assault. 
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline CODEXsc

• Sybarite
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 09:17:12 AM »
Sorry to ask such a question but we can take punishers on jet bikes now?

Offline ArchonDragomyr

• Dracon
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 10:33:48 AM »
It has been in several threads now...but basically yeah.

Per the latest DE FAQ, RJB's are treated as Eldar Jetbikes in every way, which per the Eldar Jetbike entry, gives us the ability to use 2handed weapons and turbo boost just like other bikes and receive a 3++ save.  Not to mention the move in assault thing we all claimed anyways.