News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Question on the new codex and lash whips  (Read 1535 times)

Offline 2.0

• The Road to Enlightenment is Paved in Chaos
Question on the new codex and lash whips
« on: May 24, 2005, 11:57:47 AM »
Ok, this is a minor arguement I started on the GW boards, so I'll bring it here and see what the concensus is.  I think this will need an FAQ ruling as it really can go either way, but here goes....

Are lash whips a cumulative effect?  In the 3rd ed codex it had a small footnote on the weapon chart that it was not a cumulative effect.  That does not appear in the 4th ed. codex and the wording in the new codex leaves it open to interpretation either way.  GW is very good at saying, "this effect is not cumulative" for most things that they don't want to be a cumulative effect, but they are not so good at saying when something is a cumulative effect.  So my thinking is that they are now cumulative.  If you have 3 Tyrant Guard with Lash Whips and they come base to base with a Master of Sanctity (for example), the Master of Sanctity would drop 3 attacks to a minimum of one attack.  Anyone else got any feedback on this issue?

Offline vsurma

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
Re: Question on the new codex and lash whips
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 01:29:57 PM »
Sounds unlikely but considering you used to be able to take whips on everything and now only TMCs and warriors can take them. Then again 5 warriors vs 5 khorne and all of a sudden the khorn zerkers only get 1 attack each!?
Also sounds a tad off, that said it only effects the first row so I guess it aint all that overpowered (just a little)

I donĀ“t really care either way, though if it is cumulative I will be sure to exploit it :)

Offline Waste not Want not

• when the bullets start to fly, teddy protects me
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 05:21:37 PM »
it says in the new dex (got it in battle force) "These are not cumulitive"
No good deed goes unpunished

sweet merciful unforgiving blasphamouse overbearing uncomprimisable undefeated immortal mortal godlike kitchen sink-- yep thats me

Life is a wonderful journy, pitty about the destination though.

Offline 2.0

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 05:42:41 PM »
it says in the new dex (got it in battle force) "These are not cumulitive"

What page are you seeing that exact quote in the new dex?  me and a friend went front to back and did not spot that phrase, otherwise my question would be moot point.

Offline y2jfreak

• beslubber! Drink!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 06:58:21 AM »
i noticed that as well, then again it does say models in base-to-base contact.

Offline Raejin99

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 08:36:03 AM »
Look in the section that says "Close-Combat Symbiotes". Its on the page after the ranged symbiotes. It should say it there.

Offline Spamthulhu

• Chaos or Self, I care not which you serve.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 08:51:35 AM »
Look in the section that says "Close-Combat Symbiotes". Its on the page after the ranged symbiotes. It should say it there.

It doesn't say anything about not being cumulative.
At all.

Just says to a minnimum of 1

Offline Samdan

• Cowboy, baby!
  • Ancient
  • Head... hurts... OH GOD! THE IDIOCY!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 09:10:19 AM »
the new codex just says models in base to base with the lash whip lose the attack, so it would be extremely hard to rob models of more than 2 attacks, in fact, it would probably be impossible.
Quote from: Barr'El O'Rum
You'd be a good man Lom, if it weren't for the dead kittens and shrunken heads of the elderly that you keep in the glovebox of your car.

Offline 2.0

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 11:02:08 AM »
the new codex just says models in base to base with the lash whip lose the attack, so it would be extremely hard to rob models of more than 2 attacks, in fact, it would probably be impossible.

yeah, more than two attacks would be hard, but if you're looking a chaplain in the face, 2 attacks would be nice to see go away...

Offline Samdan

• Cowboy, baby!
  • Ancient
  • Head... hurts... OH GOD! THE IDIOCY!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 11:35:21 AM »
very true, along with just about any army HQ aside from IG, although remember that chaplains come with retinues, and they get to re-roll their hits on the turn they charge, and can have as many as 3 power weapons including the chaplain.
Quote from: Barr'El O'Rum
You'd be a good man Lom, if it weren't for the dead kittens and shrunken heads of the elderly that you keep in the glovebox of your car.