News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: I did a drawing!  (Read 9552 times)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: I did a drawing!
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 06:28:01 AM »
I did also manage to make this:

I really like that as there is a real sense of movement to it. Also I can see the potential for the colours in this one as were the colour is solid and within the lines on the Squig it looks really good.

Obviously these are all GW’s IP, but I’m hoping that the practice I get from them will help me develop my own ideas and characters in future.  Then I can hopefully get paid for this!  ;D

I look forward to seeing your own creations.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 11:30:01 AM »
Those look great, Calamity! I'm certain you'll get an understanding of the colors with a little more practice. I love that Squig Hopper Boss sketch! He bears a lot of resemblance to the actual model. That is impressive 8). Would also like to see some of original ideas at some point.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 09:23:16 PM »
Thanks guys!  :)

I’ve been practicing working with the colours, first as sketching.  Here’s what I achieved:

Now I realise that’s a little different to what I’ve been doing.  But it is great practice!  And it’s taught me a lot about how the app works.  I’m currently working on applying it in colour on my previous work.  Stay tuned!

EDIT: Finished!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:20:12 PM by Calamity »

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 10:22:43 AM »
I am no artist, so don't really know what I am on about, but it seems to me that the shading you have used somehow adds a little character/definition to your sketches that is missing from the plain and coloured sketches.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 11:07:14 AM »
I am no artist, so don't really know what I am on about, but it seems to me that the shading you have used somehow adds a little character/definition to your sketches that is missing from the plain and coloured sketches.

Thanks Alienscar! :)

I’m liking the shading a lot more than the colours myself.  They’re much easier to do and they look much better imo.  The one weak aspect of this app is the colours imo.  They’re very...mismatched. :P

Also, I finally got a paid commission!  Well, commission sounds a little formal, but it is paid!  I can’t show it just yet.  Not until that person receives it, but in the meantime, I can share this:

That’s a little Destiny fan art there.  My Guardian wearing their ‘Future War Cult’ armour with their ghost in its FWC shell.  Personally I think the right arm holding the gun could do with some work but otherwise I’m pretty happy with it.  And again, I’m hoping to do more original work asap.

This is the most drawing I’ve done in 10+ years. :D

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 11:27:19 AM »
I’m liking the shading a lot more than the colours myself.  They’re much easier to do and they look much better imo.  The one weak aspect of this app is the colours imo.  They’re very...mismatched. :P

I totally agree with you, Calamity the shading really adds something and your sketches look really good because of it.

Personally I think the right arm holding the gun could do with some work but otherwise I’m pretty happy with it.

Again I agree with you the right hand/gun stock does not seem as defined as the rest of the sketch.

Also (and this might just be the non-artist in me speaking) the right leg looks like we are looking at it from a side on point of view, but the rest of the figure seems to be drawn looking straight on. My imagination expects the torso to be twisted around because of the stance of the right leg.

Also, I finally got a paid commission!  Well, commission sounds a little formal, but it is paid! 

That is good news, I hope it leads to more paid work for you.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 01:10:54 PM »
Again I agree with you the right hand/gun stock does not seem as defined as the rest of the sketch.

Also (and this might just be the non-artist in me speaking) the right leg looks like we are looking at it from a side on point of view, but the rest of the figure seems to be drawn looking straight on. My imagination expects the torso to be twisted around because of the stance of the right leg.

Ah, I know what that might be.  The character wears a sort of lioncoth called a ‘mark’, the character classes unique armour piece.  In this case, it’s wrapped around his leg, and that might be what you’re seeing.

Here’s my reference image:

See what I mean now?

Although looking at it, it’s made me realise that that bit is very underdone.  So between that and the arm with the gun, I think that this pic needs a second look.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 02:28:52 PM »
Ah, I know what that might be.  The character wears a sort of lioncoth called a ‘mark’, the character classes unique armour piece.  In this case, it’s wrapped around his leg, and that might be what you’re seeing.

Here’s my reference image:

See what I mean now?

Oh that makes a lot more sense now that you have pointed it out.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 03:36:48 PM »
Yep, and now that the commission piece has been cleared, I can happily share it:

Guess who that is?  ;D

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2019, 09:52:39 AM »
Nice, Bruce Lee if I am not mistaken.

I think his right bicep could be more defined, but other than that you have nailed it.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2019, 05:12:27 PM »
Wooow, the shading added to those previous drawings give them so much more depth! I approved of the first iterations, but now I'm blown away! Keep learning how to use those colors, and you'll be churning out some next level stuff!

Where did you learn to draw, Calamity? Would be kind of cool to try drawing digitally, though I know I'd be awful at it, haha.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2019, 06:37:56 PM »
That's some impressive shading on the musculature! looks really good.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2019, 12:05:25 PM »
Nice, Bruce Lee if I am not mistaken.

I think his right bicep could be more defined, but other than that you have nailed it.

Agreed!  Thankfully I can easily adjust that before the person gets the final copy.  The advantages of digital.  ;D

Wooow, the shading added to those previous drawings give them so much more depth! I approved of the first iterations, but now I'm blown away! Keep learning how to use those colors, and you'll be churning out some next level stuff!

Where did you learn to draw, Calamity? Would be kind of cool to try drawing digitally, though I know I'd be awful at it, haha.

Thanks Myen’Tal! 

I’ve always been into drawing, since I was no age.  As a kid, a sketch pad and pencil were my entertainment, just as much as Legos and matchbox cars.  There’s a huge drawing I did aged 4 of the city that still adorns the waiting room of the local GP.  And I was one of only 2 at my school who actually sold artwork when we held a showing of our work at the end of the year.  That wasn’t even the plan, but they had to have it.  ;D

That's some impressive shading on the musculature! looks really good.

Thanks Blazinghand.  :)

Oh, I’ve done more doodles of dogs:

Boxers are easy (and adorable), but long haired dogs are very hard.  :P

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2019, 05:51:09 AM »
Agreed!  Thankfully I can easily adjust that before the person gets the final copy.  The advantages of digital.  ;D

You know what? I had completely forgotten that these were digital. It is amazing how much they look like pencil sketches.

Oh, I’ve done more doodles of dogs:

Boxers are easy (and adorable), but long haired dogs are very hard.  :P

I like the sketch of the Boxer, but you seem to have struggled a bit with the other sketches. I guess digitally it must be difficult to replicate the coat of a dog, but also it looks to me as if the lowermost dog has got two left eyes.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2019, 08:14:12 PM »
@ Alienscar

Yep, it does.  That’s because in the reference, the dog’s fur covers it’s eye, and I struggled to get that right.  Which is going to be tough because a lot of my potential commissioners have long haired dogs.  :P

Also, I’ve somewhat tweaked Bruce Lee:

Does the shaded background work?  Should I try again or ditch it?  And does he look more defined now?  I’m really hoping the guy goes for it; I’ve a car repair bill to pay.  ;)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #35 on: March 1, 2019, 05:17:48 AM »
I am not at all sure about the vignetted background Calamity. I think that overall it is a little busy and distracts from the main picture.

The bicep is a lot better, but I think it is too small when compared to the rest of the arm. Also I think that the crease line that you have added is too straight, and this has made the whole bicep look flat instead of bulbous. If you can add a little curve to that crease at the bottom of the bicep I think that will improve the overall look.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2019, 07:02:06 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Alienscar!  :)

I think this is the final product:

What do you guys think?

The commissioner has now asked me to do one of the Gallagher brothers.  Happy to do that, but I’m really hoping I get some more.  I need extra cash this month.  :-\

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 07:40:49 AM »
Personally I think it definitely looks better without the background. It also looks like you have changed the contrast, which has made a small improvement except for the face. I still think it would look better if you could remove/alter the straight line at the base of the bicep.

The dark shading of this sketch will really suit one of the Gallagher brothers, so I look forward to seeing your efforts.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2019, 06:10:19 PM »
I made the adjustment you suggested Alienscar:

I’m also working on this:

One day I hope to graduate towards doing more unique poses or even my own original stuff.  Right now GW is hiring illustrators.  I’m not at that level, but one day I hope to be.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2019, 03:13:33 PM »
I made the adjustment you suggested Alienscar:

I know I made the suggestion, but I think that removing that straight line has made a real difference and the whole think looks great now.

I still think some of the shading should be toned down/removed, but that might just be a personal taste kind of thing. I think if you could lighten the tone of the shading on the face and left arm then this would further improve the finised piece. In particular, I think, the dark line under the left eye needs to be toned down or removed.