News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Painting old/dirty/worn cloth, etc for VC  (Read 855 times)

Offline Wallance

Painting old/dirty/worn cloth, etc for VC
« on: November 3, 2008, 07:24:18 PM »
Howdy!

I want to paint much of my VC force as if they were an actual army at one time, full of color and life.  Bretonnian, Empire, whatever.  However, being they are undead they obviously should be dirty, worn, ragged, rotten, etc.

I was wondering how you guys go about getting this effect.  It's not something I have really done before playing either 40k or clean armies like empire and dwarves.

Thanks in advance!

Offline FifthWindDieGermanator

• Marines are Toughness 3! | Termagant
Re: Painting old/dirty/worn cloth, etc for VC
« Reply #1 on: November 3, 2008, 11:52:26 PM »
I would personally recommend using very light colors, to represent the origional uniform fading after such a long time, as well as having brown painted onn the edges and a ways into the inside and outside of the cloth to represent all of the dirt.
"special weapons, what special weapons, oh look skulls, BLAAAGABLAGAAAGGGGG BLOOD SKULLS BLOOD SKULLS"
-Sanctjud

I'd rather you hate me, For everything I am, Than have you love me, For something that I can't
- Five Finger Death Punch

Beware, Rules Lawyers, beware!

Offline insane0018

• Jack's Painting
« Reply #2 on: November 4, 2008, 08:00:29 AM »
Like the above poster has stated, use all the regular colors you would. Simply add Bleached Bone to your base color to make highlights.
As far as fleshtones go your best friend will be snakebite leather, among other earthy tones.
keep the rags light and the skins earthy, you will be golden.

Offline Aislinn

• "If it bleeds, we can kill it"
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 07:56:47 PM »
I'd agree with the rest on using standard colours and adding brown to the edges_but to make it look a little extra tattered, dry brush some graveyard earth, on just before the edge so it gradually fades to the brown on the edge, and also wash the model very lightly with Devlan Mud or Gryphonne Sepia to give it more of that aged look.  Don't forget to add the all important highlights, though, as well as all of this  ;)
  "Their song shall die first!"