News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: CHALLENGE - Help me turn this into an army, or two.  (Read 384 times)

Offline Orlanth

CHALLENGE - Help me turn this into an army, or two.
« on: September 11, 2002, 05:03:13 PM »
The Challenge: Help me design TWO armies using only what is below, with no extra purchases except possibly a box of guardians or the swaps indicated at the bottom.

I bought a large army of Eldar on ebay for more than I could really afford but nevertheless an insanely good deal. In order to pay for my investment I am painting up then selling half my troops. However its no use painting up half my army to resell if noone would want it.  So I might have to auction off individual units instead. I have a lot of stuff at the moment let me give you a complete list so you can see the complete picture.

Modelling is my strong suit, I paint well but very, very slowly. So I am not looking to make any form of profit from this, I am looking to recover my investment, thereby getting a free or nearly free army at the expense of painting time.

HQ UNITS

All the seers I will keep will be modelled as mages, with bare heads and high back collars. Any ghost helms etc I will claim artistic licence for, after all you can't shoot at a helmetless marine character and say he has no armour save. Reason: I don't like the helmets, with exception for Eldrads. Those to go will all have the normal helms, I am not imposing my opinion on anyone else that way. Besides this help as the severed helms are used to convert jetbike riding warlocks/farseers 'to go'.

Eldrad - Converted as my army Farseer, no sword "i find your lack of faith disturbing" pose. He will probably keep the helmet.
Eldrad (in blister)
Bug-eye Farseer - Converted as a mage warlock with bare head.
Farseer on jetbike - Converted using bug-eye helm.
Farseer on jetbike - My conversion with Eldrad sword and 'mage' head.
Warlock on jetbike - Converted using warlock helm.
Warlock on jetbike - Bare headed.
Unconverted warlock.
Warlock (in blister)

ASPECT WARRIORS

Maugan Ra (in blister)
New Dark reaper exarch (in blister)
9 old Dark Reapers and exarch.
4 Warp spiders (plus one in blister).
5 new Howling Banshees inc exarch.
10 old Howling Banshees inc exarch.
14 old Dire Avengers inc exarch.
8 old Fire Dragons inc exarch. - I converted the old Fire Dragon exarch to have a slighly shorter pike, its still a firepike, but he no longer looks ridiculous when placed in the unit.
New Fire Dragon exarch.
13 old Swooping hawks inc exarch with Hawks Talon.
6 old Striking Scorpions inc exarch.

GUARDIANS
I have enough swords and pistols for 9 storm Guardians, plus enough fusion guns and flamers for any combination up to three squads of 5.  I am strongly in favour of several small squads of Storm Guardians with two special weapons anyway.

36 new plastic Guardians four are assembled.
3 heavy weapons platforms with only three old style (yuk) crew between them. I will need to convert guardians for the job.
8 Rangers

I will need to get a box of guardians. Maybe two.

JETBIKES
4 Shining Spears inc exarch. - I will be keeping these, few other people like them.
12 (8) new plastic jetbikes including one shuriken cannon (four taken up by seers)
4 old jetbikes including one shuriken cannon.
2 Vypers

HEAVY SUPPORT
2 Fire Prisms - unassembled
1 Falcon - unassembled
2 War walkers
D-Cannon
Shadow weaver
Vibro Cannon

Heavy weapons belonging to the above, none fixed so far.
3 plastic scatter lasers
3 old metal scatter lasers
2 plastic shuriken cannon
2 bright lances
2 old starcannon

The unopened blister are in prime condition and so can be exchanged at GW for similar priced units under their swap policy (in UK retail). No receipts required to allow for gifts etc. That is my plan for Maugan Ra, the second Eldrad and the Dark Reaper exarch. I plan to get a wraithlord instead and maybe more howling Banshees or Fire Dragons, or a fourth heavy weapons pack.

Out of all this I need TWO armies. Or my army and bits to go seperately.

My army will include the converted mage seers, the Shining Spears, the Striking Scorpions and the new Howling Banshees for definate. Plus two tanks the Vypers and the War walkers. Everything else is optional, though I already have a list I will 'surrender' it to open myself to your assessments. Though I have a tendency to like the heavy support choices because I like the models. My army must fit two detachments of Vanilla eldar. The rest are being painted as Biel-Tan, though only the Dire Avengers are painted at the moment so this can change.

This entire army cost me £221 grosse, mainly on ebay in two auctions. The Vypers and two tanks I bought in the second auction nib for my own forces. The only shop purchased miniature is the fifth Warp Spider, it cost me nearly as much as the Vyper did! I am looking to recover my costs on the army/bits to go. That will be enough for me. I see this happening as a well painted and good looking themed army. Unless you know better.

Your comments MOST appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2002, 05:07:57 PM by Orlanth »
By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, by the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Orlanth

Re:CHALLENGE - Help me turn this into an army, or two.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2002, 07:15:00 PM »
no replies, no answers?
By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, by the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline meshuggah

• trailer park jesus
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2002, 08:48:34 AM »
thats alot of troops... imo at least... you can easily turn that into an army or two or three.... it all depends on how many points you're aiming for.
my suggestion is that you write your own army list, and then post it here for other ppl to review and comment.
cheers
denial is a river in egypt, division is a reunion in the south

Offline HerrLyall

• Speed is the key
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2002, 11:10:55 AM »
If I was you I would take the stuff I want to keep out first.

Then I would sell all the stuff that still in the blister, unassimbled or painted on ebay.

Then I would devide the rest up in to squads cleen them up and prime them, to sell on ebay.

If all you want to do is get your money back, several small auctions consisting of usable combinations that are a close to mint as posible will bring in the most money.

I would proably bid on the jet bikes, but not the ones you convereted into seers and warlocks.  You might be better off selling the bits you used.

This would save you a lot of time and you can work on the stuff you plan to keep.

If you don't live in the us you will have batter luck if you except US funds or paypal, both would give you the brodest coverage of bidders.

I hope this helps, HerrLyall
All will fall under the red wave of the Saim Hann

Offline meshuggah

• trailer park jesus
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2002, 11:40:50 AM »
and yeah... if youwant to get rid of the old banshees and a few loose weapons, i might be interested ;)
denial is a river in egypt, division is a reunion in the south

Offline Orlanth

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2002, 04:07:39 AM »
I am looking at keeping more than originaslly intended. It was expensive to get all at once, but I never go into debt. So now I have them I can afford to keep them.

My original plan

To keep:

H.Q. (all seers converted as mages, heads are placed on seers 'to go')

Farseer on bike
Farseer on foot - converted Eldrad
4 Warlocks one on bike

ELITE

7 new Howling Banshees inc exarch
8 Fire Dragons inc exarch
6 Striking Scorpions inc exarch

TROOPS

10 Guardians inc shuricannon (fluff over substance)
10 Guardians inc starcannon
5 Storm Guardians inc flamers
5 Storm Guardians inc fusion guns
8 Rangers

FAST ATTACK

Vyper with bright lance
Vyper with two shuricannon
4 Shining Spears inc exarch
4 Jetbikes inc shrieker
6 Swooping Hawks

HEAVY
Falcon
Falcon
2 Warwalkers with starcannons and scatter lasers
D-Cannon
4 Dark Reapers inc exarch missile launcher conversion
Shadow Weaver

This fits two standard Eldar Hosts

Swordwind to go:

H.Q.
Farseer on bike
2 Warlocks, one on bike

GUARDIAN:
6 Jetbikes inc two shriekers
10 Guardians inc starcannon
5 Storm Guardians

ASPECT:
7 Dire Avengers inc exarch
7 Dire Avengers
10 Howling Banshees inc exarch
5 Warp Spiders inc exarch
4 Dark Reapers inc exarch missile launcher conversion
4 Dark Reapers

FAST ATTACK
7 Swooping Hawks inc exarch (may convert him to melee variant)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Fire Prism
Wraithlord with bright lance
Vibro Cannon

These armies involve swaps at store with my sealed blisters. I posted the to go army on dakka, it was unpopular as a for sale army. Considered too fragile to go down the shooty route. Personally I think it is viable as it has plenty of counterstrike units to keep nasties occupied if they get close. It would also look good which is what sells, with varied troops, jetbikes and ~Avatar, wraithlord and tank, it should have a WOW factor with a few good photos.
I seriously believe I could recover (and therefore recycle) my money that way.

Alternately...

I am considering instead getting rid of a few itms on ebay and keeping the rest. The most of the blisters can then be swapped for something other than Eldar, or Wave Serpent conversion kits, better than ebay sales.

This will give me a HUGE army of three hosts, similar to the 'to keep' list but with also a squad of 10 Dire Avengers, upgrade to 10 Banshees, the Warp Spiders (which I hate but what the hell, get every aspect), maybe two Swooping hawk squads, maybe sell one. Two squads of 3 jetbikes plus warlock each. This will mean a total of 13 jetbikes, I like that, unlucky for some... The only purchase planned would be for two Wave Serpents, wallet gut punch time, blister swaps could lighten this load.

I would need three hosts to fit all my heavy support choices. On a smaller scale I could deploy single hosts that rival assaul Swordwind whether as Swordwind or with two squads of Storm Guardians as troops. Even more fun I could have hosts consisting of 13 jetbikes, 2 Vypers and 3-5 tanks. Saim-Hann watch out.

Do I, don't I.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2002, 04:14:58 AM by Orlanth »

Offline Orlanth

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2002, 07:02:04 PM »
responces anyone