News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: WIP Death Company Sgt.  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Simpsonia

• I fought the Goyder, but Goyder won!
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
WIP Death Company Sgt.
« on: August 30, 2006, 04:00:16 PM »
This is very much a WIP model. I'm having a little trouble with the black armor, drybrushing just isn't bringing out the edges highlights enough, its better in RL than in the pic but still doesn't really stand out. Any other ideas of how to make it stand out better or any other C&C? Thanks.

Offline Myung

Re: WIP Death Company Sgt.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 07:56:26 PM »
The armor looks good. Maybe just a little more hightlighting. Your picture is a great reference for this. Look where the light is actually hitting the armor. like in the middle of the forearms. do a 25/75 mix of a dk grey and black and highlight again in these spots.

The Wings and the skull on the knee kinda seem off to me. Maybe try this.

Base color = Kommando khaki

then give it a wash of graveyard earth

light drybrush 50/50 kommando khaki and bleached bone

also paint the 3 cords on the stomach. just to break up the green a bit.

The armor actually looks green in the picture, might be different irl, but maybe do the sword in a different color so it stands out better. maybe a dark blue?

But as is the model is well done to a high table top standard. gj

9,000 pts Eldar - Alaitoc - 6,500 pts Blood Angels
8,000 pts Imperial Guard - 3,000 pts Tryanids
3,000 pts Sisters of Battle - 4,000 pts Orks
2,000 pts Chaos - 1 Massive Crack Addiction

Offline Tuesday

• Major
  • Yes, you're right, my tear ducts are exploding...
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 08:00:33 PM »
The armor actually looks green in the picture, might be different irl, but maybe do the sword in a different color so it stands out better. maybe a dark blue?

For me it looks black. But I do agree with the sword comment and the stomach pipe comment. Try a blue for the sword like Myung said. Or like grey haha just kidding.
How to submit your articles!

"Ideal pimping requires a purple suit, a diamond studded cane, and a car with hydraulics."
-The Tactica Imperium-
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 09:08:20 PM »
As mentioned by Myung, look at where the natural light is hitting yoru model in the picture. Now do some more drybrushing to highlight these areas (do a few layers instead of one heavy layer) and I like to use Black mixed with Bleached Bone as my Highlight colour so maybe give that a try. When your done and you wan the model to have some even darker receases you can also do a wash.... mix black paint with water until it is so see through that you can actually read stuff through it (a lot of water). then use a tank brush and paint the entire model (don't worry about the other colours as this will not change then much, just makes them have some extra shadow).... this wash will also knock down any rough looking areas of the black so that the model has a more even look to it.

For your sword, try some watered down Green Ink (a few layers) to soften its blend and make the lightning effect PoP more. And a coat of varnish on the sword would help to as if its a power weapon it should look a little different than other weapons in your army.

Try some of these things out, you will be happy with the result; and feel free to ask any specific questions.

Here is a picture to show you what mine look like where I used these techniques.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Simpsonia

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 12:32:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. As to the power weapon, I picked green as my color for power weapons/fists and plasma guns as everybody and their brother do blue. For the Aquila on the chest I painted bleached bone, then flesh wash, then drybrushed bleached bone back again, it turned out quite a bit more drab than I had hoped, any ideas for this? The only other brown I have is bestial brown, which I could either ink into the cracks or drybrush liberally over the wings then go back and bring back the brightness with bleached bone and skull white. The armor is straight black, and I was using bleached bone again as the drybrushed highlight (Ive got a theme going, blood angels red like blood, death company have the bones as they are already dead or soon to be).

I'll go ahead and drybrush some boltgun metal onto the stomach pipes. I was also thinking about trying to gem the eyes and the blood drops (Barring I can find a decent tutorial) Thanks!

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 12:50:17 AM »
Your wish is my command.

Eyes, and blood drops are not that difficult, its a matter of layers.

For the eyes I suggest that you stay with Green.
Paint the top half with a lighter shade than you have,
then paint the top half of that with a lighter shade again.
Add a white dot between the darkest green and the middle shade.
Ink with watered down Green ink (do as many layers as it takes to get the effect you want).
Hardcoat the are to make it shiny.
Then go around any outside areas and make touch-ups on the black you may have messed up.

As for the Blood drop, its the same idea with reds... in this shape.

CaHG

Offline Gareth

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 05:49:41 AM »
Highlighting black can be done in many different ways, depending on the type of black you want. Matt or Gloss black reflect light differently. Highlights are essentially light bouncing off the subject.

So gloss black has bright white reflections, and matt black has dull blended area highlights. Here are a few examples...

Matt black

Gloss Black

With the eyes look at gem examples. These are my favourite way to paint marine lenses.

Good luck and i hope this inspires and helps you.

Offline Simpsonia

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 11:25:47 AM »
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Gareth: did you use wet blending that I've read about in tutorials for the matte black highlights on the tau stealth suit? Or just successive layers of drybrushing? Im a little nervous about wet blending, but I guess I could always just strip the model easily enough and start over as it is metal. Both of your examples look fantastic. If it was wetblending, did you do it when you were doing the basecoat black, or can you get away with using a fairly diluted layer overtop the base so it doesn't look too thick once painted?

Thanks!

Offline Gareth

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 11:49:26 AM »
its soft feathered layering mate

Offline Simpsonia

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 04:03:28 PM »
Well heres my current crack at it. I know I screwed the pooch on the eyes, will have to redo those but I think for my first try at gemming and layering it turned out decently. Albeit may be too subtle when viewed farther away. At first the highlights were way to bright, but a few layers of black ink toned them down nicely.

Offline Tuesday

• Major
  • Yes, you're right, my tear ducts are exploding...
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »
I think it looks better. The eyes are okay, need a little touch up.
How to submit your articles!

"Ideal pimping requires a purple suit, a diamond studded cane, and a car with hydraulics."
-The Tactica Imperium-
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 10:41:25 PM »
Your second attempt shows lots of improvement, so Well done. You have to remember that some guysin here have been painting for years and they also paint a lot, so don't expect to get everything perfect on the first few attempts.

Things I like about your model so far:
The black has nice soft blends, with good distribution to show the light hitting the model (this can be very hard to achieve so well done).
The colour palatte of the model is nice, not too many colours to distract.

Things that still need a little work:
The eyes are OK; but not to the level of the Black.. suggest a re-do as the white dots are makinghim look a little cross eyed.
The Red Gems are actually decent, just give them a varnish coat to make them shiney and they will be fine.
The bone work and Eagle, need a little more Bleach Bone and/or white highlighting to make them appear more Real.

Overall though, good enough for table top ready... better than many I've seen, and if you are willing to seek advice and practise, then you will be getting better and better all the time. So keep it up.

CaHG