News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: tyranofex how do you use them?  (Read 2335 times)

Offline sterlingarnet

• slippery pirates
tyranofex how do you use them?
« on: December 18, 2012, 01:56:49 AM »
at about 1000 points is it cost effective to take one of theese bad boys and what upgrades are best to use i.e. rupture cannon?

Offline Exalted One

• Maker of invisible seams
Re: tyranofex how do you use them?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 03:02:30 AM »
I woudn't take it at those points, as at those points it isn't very propable that the opponent will be wielding anything that would reguire a tyrannofex to get rid of. At least that's how it's been at my games, but I admit they are always pretty relaxed.
The glass is not half full. If its half full its not my glass. MY glass was entirely full! And bigger!

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 03:25:09 AM »
Ironically, I find that the "signiture weapon" of the Tyrannofex (the Rupture Cannon) is practically useless due to the low number of shots compared to its BS. I find that Acid Spray/Cluster Spines/Electroshock Grubs is the only really effective build, and that is for taking out hordes. A decent round of shooting can take out most of a full squad of Ork Boyz. When you consider that for the same points as a Rupture Fex, you could take 5 Hive Guard or 4 Zoanthropes, both with some points to spare, it tends to bring things into perspective.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline sterlingarnet

• slippery pirates
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 05:21:55 AM »
really i thought the rupture cannon was awesome. since im vsing necron players and space marines with av 13 vehicles i don't see a tervigon being much use. so would you reccomend using carnifexs in the same maner using heavy venom cannons and just making pot shots str 9 ? how do we deal with tanks apart from a few hive guards?

[mod]We all know what the rupture cannon's stats are, no need to remind us :)[/mod]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:15:28 PM by Chuckles, The Angry Warhammer Clown »

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 11:05:48 AM »
If you plan to play on a small board, 4x4' for example, the Tyrranofex will be a points sink at 1k point level.  Invest in Hive Guard at this points level and/or Zoanthroapes.  If you must have one, for intimidation purposes, etc,.... then kit it out like GaleRazorwind has suggested, get into the thick of things and pressure your opponent!

[mod]Nothing to see here. Certainly no backseat moderating, nope nope...[/mod]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:13:50 PM by Chuckles, The Angry Warhammer Clown »

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline shaten

• The Swarm grows
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 08:04:03 PM »
use them as a giant paper weight.

In really large games they become a fair CC combat weapon, but not a good one. There only good feature is their armor save.

Deal with land raiders with zoanthropes, hive tyrants, carnifexs or termagaunts.

termagaunts - surround the land raider which only allows it to tank shock forward and backward. place a few gaunts at the 7 inch mark and less and a few behind it, and watch no one get out.
Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along.

Offline sterlingarnet

• slippery pirates
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 04:20:55 AM »
give the carnifexes hvc? how do transports have to deploy 6 inch cant they deploy like 1 inch then jus eat termagaunts?

Offline shaten

• The Swarm grows
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 07:16:44 PM »
give the carnifexes hvc? how do transports have to deploy 6 inch cant they deploy like 1 inch then jus eat termagaunts?

have to have room to get out, surround the land raider but do not charge.
-) the models inside can't get out.
-) since your 1 inch away the land raider can't turn.
-) can only tank shock forward.

so a few hundred points block with gaunts.

Note: I have only gotten to do this twice, but it is funny when i can do it.
Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along.

Offline sterlingarnet

• slippery pirates
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 06:48:07 AM »
hahahaha sounds crack up need like 15 gaunts tho