News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rules for a Necromunda Campaign  (Read 125236 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Rules for a Necromunda Campaign
« Reply #220 on: September 4, 2012, 05:04:21 PM »
I totally tripped over this thread by accident...and I'm incredibly happy that I did! It has been an enthralling read thus far, with twists and turns to the campaign plot, humour from our protagonists and a great deal of tactical insight.

All this leads me to say only 1 thing...

...Damn you Underhand! Damn you to hell!

I had totally forgotten how much I enjoyed Necromunda, crafting gangs, raiding others and then rolling with glee or trepidation at the results of my advances/injuries. I had survived for about 15 years without really thinking about the game at all, and then you come along and casually enquire if I'd like some drugs. I'm not sure, but you promise me there are no side effects...well there are side effects UH! I'm totally Yhwh-condemned addicted to Necromunda again. I haven't done anything about it yet, but you can be sure that it's only a matter of time.

Damn it, I'm happy to be hooked on this thing again though! Thank you for realising what I had been missing.

One question though, and chance that you'll be incorporating some of the new Dark Vengeance cultists into your gang? They're beautiful minis and I'm pretty sure a lot of them would fit the bill nicely (Maybe after some of the chaos symbology etched into their flesh has been purged...).

Thanks for the entertaining read, keep it up and good luck with the rest of the campaign!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Underhand

• Captain : Godfather of the Hivegangers
« Reply #221 on: September 5, 2012, 04:21:15 PM »
Thank you Looshkin, that's very nice of you to say.

The new chaos cultists do indeed look very nice, and would fit in perfectly in Necromunda.  You could easily make a very nicely balance gang with them, particularly if you had some spare catachan, or cadian bits lying around.  I will be buying some.

I personally don't intend to fit them into my Cawdor Gang because I don't think they quite fit the Cawdor/Redemptionist costume theme (Tabard, gloves and mask for Cawdor and robes and mask for Redemptionists), but I imagine a lot of people will use them as Cawdor gang members.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they take over from Catachan guardsmen as the most common stand in for Necromunda miniatures.

As regards the delay in an update - that's been caused by combination of me being in a trial and Gannicus getting a one month ban from the store.  There will be another one this weekend.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #222 on: September 5, 2012, 04:31:24 PM »
...and Gannicus getting a one month ban from the store.

Looking forward to the update, and really looking forward to the detailed description of which campaign member Gannicus killed (I'm voting Joffrey) to get his 1 month ban!

Offline Swamp Rat

« Reply #223 on: September 5, 2012, 08:15:31 PM »
WHAT DID GANNICUS DO?!

Wait, you're in a trial, and Gannicus is banned from the store. I'm sensing a link here...
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0

Offline Underhand

« Reply #224 on: September 6, 2012, 08:16:51 AM »
According to the store manager, Gannicus is banned for: being the stupidest snake on a plane who ever lived.

A more technical formulation would probably be:  banned for utilising store premises and property for the manufacture of simulated narcotics.

Now, I wasn't actually there when the events in question took place, but I've heard both sides of the story, and cutting through what I suspect to be the exaggeration and arse covering on both sides - this is basically what I think took place:

[Gannicus was sitting at the stores craft table]
[By way of background, Myrcella's university was having their annual Meet the Profession Night.  It's basically a night where the law department of the university invites alumni to a night of free drinks so that the students can make contacts with the industry and so the members of the profession can have sex with university students.]

Store Manager:  what are you doing?
Gannicus:  Crushing up panadol tablets and mixing them with crushed up caffeine tablets.
SM:  Why?
G:     I'm meeting up with Underhand and Myrcella, and some of her friends, and Underhand says they're pretty easy on the eyes.
SM:  So?
G:     I mix the panadol with the caffeine. I put it in this little bag [holds up a little plastic bag]...
SM:  ...
G:    ... I tell them it's cocaine....
SM:  ... 
G:    They get all excited ... 
SM:  Are you serious?
G:    ...And then I get to beslubber them.
SM:  That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
G:    You should try it.  It's like fishing with dynamite -
SM:  I cannot believe how you would think that what you are doing is in any way acceptable.  Pack up your amphetamine parrot and beslubber off.
G:     It's not actually cocaine.  It's just panadol and caffeine.
SM:   GET THE beslubber OUT OF MY beslubberING STORE, YOU STUPID beslubberING beslubber!

It would have been a permanent ban, but I smoothed things over with the Store Manager and reduced it to a month.  But we're all on our last chance.  The next time someone beslubbers up, the campaign is over.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #225 on: September 6, 2012, 11:55:54 AM »
Hang on a minute...is this the start of a joke? I'm fairly sure it's the start of a joke...

A fake drug dealer, a racist, 3 socially inept beslubbertards and a lawyer walk into a GW...

...I'll work out the punchline soon enough...

Offline Swamp Rat

« Reply #226 on: September 6, 2012, 06:27:55 PM »
Looshkin, the punchline is over 60,000 words long...
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0

Offline Underhand

« Reply #227 on: September 15, 2012, 10:57:45 AM »
Apologies for the lack of an update last weekend, but Photobucket has been dicking me around, so I can't upload the Map.

Anyway, here is something I prepared earlier that gives an idea of the relative value of the territories:

For the benefit of people who aren't familiar with the relative tactical and strategic value of the various necromunda territories, here is a map that sets it out.  The darker the tile, the more valuable it is:

The lightest tiles are Old Ruins, and my Slag.  Old Ruins generate 10 creds per turn of income and Slags produce 15.  That is very, very little income.

The slightly darker tiles are Vents and Tunnels.  This map has a larger than usual number of Vents and a smaller than usual number of Tunnels.  Tunnels and Vents only generate 10 creds income per turn, but they are more valuable than Slags or Old Ruins because they each allow 3 gang members a form of infiltration in some scenarios.  I have coloured the Tunnels darker, because Tunnels allow infiltration at ground level, which in my view is preferable than infiltration at an aboveground level.

The next darkest territories consist of Holesteads, Water stills and Drinking Holes.  These generate d6x10 income per turn and are otherwise unremarkable. 

The next level up consists of Guilder Contacts, Friendly Docs, Workshops and Mine Workings.  These generate d6x10 income per turn and provide an extra minor bonus such as extra income from dead gangers, loot or captives, or free passes on an ammo roll.  The bonuses are minor, and usually don't actually result in a bonus to any actual profit per turn.  If I had to rate them in order of desirability, I would probably go - Friendly Doc/Guilder Contact, Mine Workings, Workshop.

Settlements are another slight cut above the previous tier.  They only generate 30 income per turn, but the 1d6 chance of picking up a free Juve (worth 25creds) makes up for the difference, since the Juves aren't taxed to the Gang's profits.  There is a school of thought that says settlements aren't that great and that Isotropic Fuel Rods (which can create settlements, as Jonah and Octavian have both done) are a waste of creds.  The students of that school travel there on the short bus.

The darkest tiles are the 2d6x10 income tiles.  On this map, they consist of Spore Caves and Gambling Dens.  Archaeotech Hoards also exist.  They have certain conditions attached which can reduce the amount of income generated (or result in lost income in the case of the Gambling Dens), but with the custom rules we have employed in this campaign with assigning gangers to territories which effect income, the chance of a bad result occurring are greatly reduced.

From looking at the map, you can see that Octavian not only has the most territories, but he also has the most profitable territories.  You can also see how poor my starting territories were and can no doubt understand why I sought in the early stages, to strike out towards the centre of the map to take some of the most profitable territories early.  Joffrey probably started with the most profitable home territories, which when coupled with his skill, and use of a strong Gang in the Escher, made him a daunting opponent.  Gannicus and the Orlock Player had decent starting territories and Jonah was okay, but probably a little on the weak side to begin with.  A combination of good luck at the trading post and some industrious inventors have changed that though.  He now has a very profitable swathe of territories.

A further update as to the progress of the actual campaign will follow as soon as photobucket stops having conniptions.

Post Merge: September 15, 2012, 09:49:43 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Aftermath:
Here's the map:

Cawdor:  The Hand of Redemption - Underhand
Escher:  Gothika - Joffrey       
Delaque:  Black Coats - Gannicus
Van Saar:  The Second Stringers - Jonah
Orlock:  The Mortlock Cartel  - The Orlock Player
Goliath:  House Bloodaxe - Octavian

Gannicus:    

Gannicus lost a guy but brought in a new recruit and has 14 guys in his gang.  He is in the process of retooling his gang to prepare for the late campaign stages.  He is gradually replacing his lasguns with shotguns, and now only has 2 lasguns in his gang.  He now has 6 shotgunners, and all of them are armed with manstopper rounds. 

Some people might question such a tactic since lasguns are often held out as the best basic weapon in the game.  While it is true that lasguns are a solid choice due to their modest price tag and excellent reliability, both those qualities cease to be as relevant the further a campaign progresses.

In the later stages of a campaign, most gangs will probably have picked up at least a few Techno skills.  If a gang has 2 Armourers, which isn't exactly unlikely after playing 20+ games, Autoguns and Shotguns become just as reliable as lasguns.  The other problem lasguns face in the late game is that they are just too weak to deal with all the T4 opponents they face.  Gannicus seeks to overcome that problem by replacing his lasguns with a mixture of shotguns and bolters.  He has a couple of guys with Rapid Fire for lasguns, but will attempt to give them hotshot power packs if possible.

Octavian:

The result of Jacob's brutal heavy boltering of House Bloodaxe was a Leg Wound an Old Battle Wound, an Eye Wound, a Shell Shock, a Bitter Enmity towards Jacob and 2 guys dead.

In response, Octavian bought himself a second Heavy, armed him with a lasgun and picked up another free Juve.  He still has plenty of cash left in his stash though, so I think he'll buy a second Heavy Stubber next turn.

Jonah:

Bought another Plasma Gun and invented a Blindsnake Pouch.  He gave the Plasma gun to a guy with BS5 and gave the Blindsnake Pouch to his leader.

A Blindsnake Pouch gives the wearer a 4+ on a D6 chance to avoid incoming Overwatch fire.  It took about 5 seconds after Jonah left his roster sheet unattended for someone whom I won't name (Gannicus), to cross out "Blindsnake Pouch" and write "Diplomatic Immunity" next to it.

Jonah now has 2 guys with Plasma Guns, and with all the armourers in his gang, they won't be running out of ammo very often either.  Given the high ballistic skills of those two plasma gunners, I would say that Jonah probably has the greatest ranged firepower in the campaign.  Hardly unusual for a Van Saar gang.

Orlock Player:

He was very lucky not to be attacked by someone last turn, because they probably would have wiped him off the map.  He also nearly beat Gannicus and Joffrey, which would have been an amazing win for an 8 man gang without a Heavy Weapon.  And all he had to do was sacrifice his dignity and any last shred of respect anyone in the store had for him.  He won't get that lucky again though.

Although he only has a single territory, he was able to commit all 8 guys to working it, so he ended up with 75 creds profit (same as me) which he spent on a telescopic sight and some swords.

Ramirez avoided injury and Kowalski lost a couple of fingers.

Joffrey:

Ouch.  Joffrey suffered no injuries against me, but man did his girls cop it on the chin from the fight against Gannicus and the Orlock Player.

A Chest Wound, an Arm Wound, A Bitter Enmity against Smiling Sam, and a Death.  Shamora also got an Eye Wound.

The loss of that Holestead has sealed his fate.  Joffrey is now down to 11 gangers and 2 territories, both of which are Old Ruins.   He simply doesn't have the income to replace his losses, and although I also got reduced to only 2 territories a few turns ago, I was fighting against a couple of relative novices.  Gannicus and I are much more formidable opposition than Octavian and the Orlock Player.

The Hand of Redemption:

I need to do several things:

1.  Upgrade my ranged weapons to S4.  S3 at range, and in close combat doesn't really cut it anymore, especially against Octavian.  Whereas my gang has a lot of multi wound models, his has a lot of T4. This means replacing Ram's lasgun and pretty much everybody's autopistols and stubbers.  Swapping out some swords for chainswords would help a bit too.
2.  Recruit some more guys.  I have 11 guys.  I need 13 to start taking bottle checks at 4 casualties instead of 3.  I also just need an extra couple of meat shields to take an extra hit or two so that the rest of my guys can get in and do their stuff.  Ideally, I would like an extra shield for my ranged team, and an extra couple for my main attack force.
3.  Save up 105 creds.  I have a devious and cunning plan to destroy Octavian, and it requires me to have cash on hand.

Upgrading my guns to S4 would cost about 100 creds.  I have 135 in my stash.  So that is doable.

Recruitment is a trickier issue.  The question is whether to hire Juves or Gangers. 

Normally, I prefer to hire Juves.  They are cheaper to hire and keep your gang rating low, and they advance pretty quickly.  There isn't that much difference between a Juve and a starting Ganger.  A starting ganger with a lasgun is worth 75, a Juve with an autopistol is worth 40.  In the early stages of a campaign, a shootout between a Juve and a junior Ganger could go either way.  Who got to shoot first would probably more determinative of victory than their relative Ballistic Skills.  Similarly, the low WS2 of a Juve can be papered over by the addition of a pistol and sword, and would be cancelled out in any event if the Juve got the charge on the Ganger.  Juves are probably better value in the earlier stages of a campaign.

But this is no longer the early stages of the campaign.  The members of my Gang who started out as Juves are now all worth more than 250 creds.  Amon, Asa, Josiah and Abijah regard enemy Juves as free experience points.  Those guys got to where they are because when they were young, they were dropping out of Vents with handflamers and were able to run through BS2-3 S3 enemy overwatch fire to rack up lots of experience with autohit S4 templates. 

New Juves won't have the luxury of low BS enemies.  They will be facing BS4-6 Overwatch fire, a lot of which will be S4.  Actually charging into close combat against Escher or Goliath enemies will be suicide.  Simply put - at this stage of a campaign, a Juve is just a meatshield.

What that means is that whereas once upon a time Juves were useful members of a gang (they formed the bulk of my close assault teams in the first couple of turns), and  they could be expected to advance quickly to full ganger status, that is no longer the case.  Any Juve I hire will be going down, and possibly out of action in the first turn or two.  They will not have the opportunity to rack up bonus experience points for wounding the enemy like my original Juves did.  That means that by the time they get to full Ganger status, they will probably be carrying injuries that more than offset the bonus advance they get over a basic Ganger.

New Gangers of course aren't that much better, and their ability to take hits is no better than Juves.  But they have an extra 3 advances (WS, BS and LD) over starting Juves, and those are all decent stats.   They can also take Basic weapons, which means they can slot into my ranged team, and I need an extra meat shield up there.  If they get an extra BS advance and they are basically as dangerous to the enemy as Ram.  If they get an extra wound, they will be better at taking bullets.

Such were the thoughts that swirled through my mind during the Attorney General's address during the opening ceremony of the new Supreme Court building.

I hired a Ganger (Joshua) and bought him a shotgun with bolt rounds.  He will share the meatshield duties with Ram.

I hired a Juve (Esau),  and gave him an autopistol.  I'm going to try not to get too attached to him.

The S3/S4 issue can wait a while.  So can Octavian.  I'll deal with him after I've taken care of Joffrey.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:49:43 PM by Underhand »

Offline Underhand

« Reply #228 on: October 1, 2012, 08:53:54 AM »
Turn 13:

The Map:

Cawdor:  The Hand of Redemption - Underhand
Escher:  Gothika - Joffrey       
Delaque:  Black Coats - Gannicus
Van Saar:  The Second Stringers - Jonah
Orlock:  The Mortlock Cartel  - The Orlock Player
Goliath:  House Bloodaxe - Octavian

The Hand of Redemption:
As tempting as Octavian's fat terriories are, Joffrey has to go.  I attacked the Escher Old Ruins to the West.

Gothika:

Joffrey attacked my Guilder Contact.  A smart choice.  If he were to win the terriory, he would make territorial contact with the Goliaths, which would have opened up the possibility of some doubleteaming against either me or Gannicus.  It would also break my empire up, which would make it slightly more difficult to defend.

I know that he is looking to try to start doubleteaming with Octavian, because he was talking up the virtues of Guilder Contacts to Octavian, who has none.  Sad to see a player of Joffrey's stature reduced to such a state.

The Black Coats:

Gannicus:  Mate, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm going for that Spore Cave.   Joffrey can wait.  I promise I'll go straight after the Spore Cave next turn.
Underhand:   That's okay, I agree.  It's just pissing Jonah off having it sit around.  Go for it.

The Mortlock Cartel:

In what was likely to be his last game of the campaign, he took the hero's option and attacked the softest target he could find.  He attacked Jonah's Workshop.

The Second Stringers:  

Last turn, Jonah had the opportunity to attack the Orlock Spore Cave or any one of 3 Goliath territories being a Gambling Den, Mine Workings or a Settlement.  of those 4 choices, the Spore Cave was both the most valuable territory and the softest target.  At my urging he went for the Goliath Mine Workings.  That decision turned out to be catastrophic because he not only missed out on a plumb territory, but also lost his Tunnels.  That wasn't just bad for the Van Saar, that was bad for everyone else.  Tunnels are a great territory for any gang due to the tactical advantage they give in setting up a Gang, but they are particularly valuable for a Goliath Gang, which is a close combat gang which always struggles to get into charge range of the opposition.  A Goliath Gang with Tunnels is a much more formidable foe than a Goliath Gang without Tunnels.

So basically, Jonah gave up the opportunity to take a valuable territory and destroy a hated enemy and exchanged it for losing a useful territory and making an enemy of a neutral opponent.  And in doing so, he strengthened that opponent.

So I wasn't exactly looking forward to trying to convince Jonah to hold off on attacking the Spore Cave for another turn.

Underhand:  Hi mate.
Jonah:  Say what you have come to say.
Underhand:  Is there any chance you could leave off on attacking The Orlock Player's Spore Cave for just one more turn?
Jonah:  No there is not.
Underhand:  Gannicus is attacking the Spore Cave this turn.  I'm attacking Joffrey, and I'll probably take his Old Ruins.  Once I've done that, I'll be attacking Octavian with you next turn.
Jonah:  I have believed your promises before, and I have nothing to show for it.
Underhand:  Look, I'm sorry you lost your Tunnels, but you'll get them back and more as soon as Octavian starts taking casualties.  In a couple of turns time, Gannicus will be smashing him as well, and the three of us will wrap him up in no time.
Jonah:  I do not blame you for the loss of my Tunnels.  My loss to Octavian was due to my own failure.  What I regret is that I could have had that Spore Cave for the last three turns, but I held back to allow you and Gannicus to deal with Joffrey.  I have waited long enough.  I will not wait any longer.
Underhand:  I'm not asking you to wait.  Gannicus will attack him this turn.  That is what is happening.
Jonah:  Can you guarantee me that he will take the Spore Cave?
Underhand:  Heh.  I think it's a pretty safe bet.
Jonah:   Will you stake your Spore Cave on it?
Underhand:   That's stupid.  It's a game of dice -
Jonah:  Then once again, your assurances mean nothing.  I will take the Spore Cave myself.
Underhand:   It's not that easy.   Gannicus will be attacking it too.  You will be fighting him as well.
Jonah:  I have no desire to fight Gannicus, but I have made my choice.  I will be targeting the Orlocks.  If Gannicus wants to fight me afterwards, then that is his choice.

House Bloodaxe:

Octavian might very well have been open to Joffrey's suggestion of adding my Guilder Contact to his real estate portfolio, but evidently Jacob's exploits with the Heavy Bolter in turn 12 convinced him that his interests lay elsewhere.  He attacked the Orlock Spore Cave.

So that'll be interesting.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2012, 08:56:16 AM by Underhand »

Offline Underhand

« Reply #229 on: October 6, 2012, 05:38:22 AM »
The Hand of Redemption -v- Gothika

Thanks to Shamora holding a Ratskin Map, this game took place in an old dome on the verge of collapse giving special rules.  Basically, if anyone used a heavy weapon or a grenade, the dome would collapse on a D6 roll of 4+, ending the game in a draw and inflicting a strength 4 hit on anyone who failed an initiative check.

I got to pick the scenario, and since I knew that Joffrey would tank the game by firing his heavy stubber or throwing grenades (of which he had 3),  the second it looked like he was losing, I picked Scavengers, with a view to tempting Joffrey into hanging around an extra couple of turns to try to steal some loot, during which time I might be lucky enough to take out a couple of his girls.

We rolled 5 bundles of loot and I placed 3 of them towards the middle of the board to try to tempt Joffrey into making the game last at least a couple of turns.  I loaded my vent teams up with my CC specialists and deployed them as close as possible to Joffrey's deployment zone at the end of my first turn. 

Joffrey had deployed all of his girls out of sight and only sent out a single runner to nab the closest piece of loot he could find.  As soon as a frenzied Zohar leapt out of cover in an attempt to get into close combat with Morgana, Joffrey opened up with two frag grenades, one of which was a dud, and the second of which hit, but failed to wound and went out of ammo.  The one that hit was enough though to cave in the roof of the dome, so the game ended in a draw, with no one getting any loot and no wounds being inflicted. 

In my Gang, only Ram, Boaz, Jemuel and the new guys Joshua and Esau have only a single wound, so they were the only ones in danger from the falling debris.  Boaz and Joshua were the only ones who failed their initiative rolls, and neither of them took a wound.

Joffrey had one ganger go down.

The Mortlock Cartel -v- The Black Coats -v- The Second Stringers -v- House Bloodaxe

The second four way game in the campaign, and likely the last for the Orlock Player.

Or so I had thought, but maybe not.  The Orlock Player has 8 guys.  None of the other players are allied with each other, so to take the territory, one of them needs to take out 3 times as many Orlocks as they lose themselves.  Given that there would be 3 players all squabbling for Orlock scalps, that could be very difficult in and of itself.  If the Orlock Player could take out 2 of any other gang, that would require that opponent to take out 6 Orlocks in return.  Hard to see that happening with 2 other enemies trying to achieve the same objective.

Apart from that, to take the territory, the player would still have to win the game against the other two opponents.  So in actual fact, while the Orlock Player was almost certain to lose the game, he was unlikely to lose the territory to any of his opponents, divided as they were.

The obvious solution was for Jonah and Gannicus to buddy up and flip a coin to see who got to keep the territory.   I approached them both separately.

Underhand:   You should talk to Jonah about allying with him for this game.
Gannicus:  Bullamphetamine parrot.
Underhand:  It's going to be almost impossible for you to take the territory  on your own.  You have to get a 3:1 casualty count on the Orlocks, and then beat the Van Saar and the Goliaths as well.
Gannicus:  No sweat.
Underhand:  If you lose 2 of your guys to the Orlocks, then you have to take out 6 Orlocks.  No offence, but I don't think you'll be able to pull that off with Jonah and Octavian picking them off at the same time.
Gannicus:  Mate, relax.  Firstly, with all the amphetamine parrot that's gone on between the Orlock Player, Jonah and Octavian, I'm the last person he'll be shooting at, so I doubt he'll even wound any of my guys.  Secondly, even if he does take down any of my guys, he's only got something like 2 guys with close combat weapons, so he's not going top be able to take anyone out of action anyway. 
Underhand:  But -
Gannicus:  I'm not the least bit worried about the Orlocks.  Half of them will spend each turn pinned by Jonah and Octavian, the other 4 will be shooting back at the other two.  Thirdly, all the same amphetamine parrot that goes for the Orlock Player goes for Jonah too.  He's not going to shoot at me until the other two have been dealt with, and none of his guys will step foot out of his deployment zone anyway, except for that gay little vent team, and they'll either get taken out by Octavian again, or I'll just drop a frag grenade on them if I have to.  Plus, Jonah's a complete spastic anyway.  He's just not a threat.
Underhand:  Yes, well -
Gannicus:  So it's just Octavian that I really have to keep an eye on, and he's using Goliaths with the official rules, which suck.  I can't believe you ever lost to them.
Underhand:  Octavian's gang is a lot tougher than you'd -
Gannicus:  They're amphetamine parrot.  They're too slow.  They'll be getting shot at by Van Saars and Delaques.  I bet you a hundred bucks that not a single one of them makes it into close combat.
Underhand:  He has tunnels now, and he's picked up a couple of Agility-
Gannicus:  [Not listening] You know what they're like " Too much weights, not enough speedwork, bro!"

This was said in an appalling New Zealand accent and was accompanied with a flurry of mock blows to my stomach.  It was a reference to the movie Once Were Warriors, which if you haven't, you should totally watch. 

Once Were Warriors - Bar fight with Jake the Mus

Knowing that it would be impossible to talk any sense into Gannicus while he was in the depths of a Jake the Mus recitation, I walked away and sought out Jonah.  Seeing as how it was 11:00am that would mean that he would be having brunch.  I found him at the Dominos pizza place around the corner.  I passed Octavian and Joffrey on my way over.  I went in and sat down in front of Jonah:

Underhand:  Hey.  I just came over to explain how the game is going to work in terms of what the criteria are for taking the territory.
Jonah:   Joffrey and Octavian already told me. [I had already been through it with them after my game against Joffrey].
Underhand:  Okay, well in that case, in light of the difficulty in taking out enough Orlocks and also winning against Gannicus and Octavian, I thought that I'd suggest that you might want to consider an alliance with Gannicus.
Jonah:  That is what Octavian and Joffrey offered me.
Underhand:  What did you tell them?
Jonah:  I told them no -
Underhand:  Good man!
Jonah:  - I told them that I would not accept an alliance of any kind with anyone.  And I will not.
Underhand:  Your chances of -
Jonah:  I will not dishonour myself by engaging in the same base tactics that you so often complained of so many times.  In fact, I must say that I am surprised that you appear to have abandoned the principles that you espoused so often in the recent past.
Underhand:   It is very unlikely that anyone will take the territory if someone doesn't align with someone else.  If you don't ally with Gannicus, he could end up allying with Octavian.
[that was a stupid thing to even suggest, and Jonah treated it with the contempt it deserved].
Jonah:   Pfft.  I think that unlikely.  I have made my choice.  I have come to fight for the territory, and I will fight alone.  If I do not win the territory then so be it.  If none of us are able to take the Spore Cave in this game, then so be that too.  the Orlock Player has elected to attack my Workshop.  I will fight him off and take the Spore Cave from him then.  And If I do not, then I will attack him again next turn, and every turn after that until he is gone.

I wasn't going to be able to convince Jonah to take any other course of action.  He was on Jihad.  I left and returned to the store.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #230 on: October 6, 2012, 06:10:07 AM »
The tension builds! Stop being a tease and tell us how it the four way went, I'm thinking it turns into an ineffectual girly slapping a hair pulling session as they all cock block each other from taking the territory...
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Perigrine

« Reply #231 on: October 26, 2012, 03:28:52 AM »
Ok seriously UH, I'm experiencing serious withdrawl symptoms here now. It's not nice to keep an addict from his fix

Offline skoops6

• Armies: those pointy eared dudes with the ninja star guns
« Reply #232 on: October 27, 2012, 06:28:14 AM »
agreed, I haven't slept in days.....
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

Offline Underhand

« Reply #233 on: October 27, 2012, 11:26:34 AM »
Appologies for the delay:

Set Up:

Joffrey and I acted as joint Arbitrators for the game, and set up a bit of extra terrain here and there to accomodate a 4 way battle.  The players rolled for their sides and the Orlock Player got the East, Jonah got the North, Gannicus got the West and Octavian got the South.

The Mortlock Cartel

The Orlock Player set up first  (To the East) and set up the exact same way that he always set up.  Half his gang on the ground level, half his gang above them.  In this case, that meant 4 guys on the floor - two lasgunners (one with frag grenades) and Kozlowski and Ramirez, both with grenades, lasguns and laspistols.  He had three guys above them, including his leader, Mortlock with his meltagun and another two lasgunners and another lasgunner Marksman on the third story.

The Second Stringers

Jonah set up next, to the North and faced  most of his gang towards the Orlock Player.  Jonah's gang is based around a formidable firebase of his Heavy Stubber and two high BS Plasma Gunners.  While Plasma pistols are common enough in Necromunda, Plasma guns are rare.  They are relatively expensive, they require a Specialist, a leader or a Heavy to wield them and there are no official models with Plasma Guns.   As a result, not that many players have that much experience in using them (despite what you read on net lists), and most players don't use them all that well.

In Necromunda, Plasma guns can be fired on either high or low setting.  Low setting is S5 with -1 to armour saves, 24" range and does a single wound, which is pretty nice, but is hardly fantastic.  High power on the other hand . . . hoooly amphetamine parrot.  High power is S7, -2 armour save, 1 wound and 1 sustained fire dice (ie 1-3 shots).  S7 is the killer because S7 is High Impact, which causes targets to go out of action on a 5 or 6 on a D6 rather than just a 6.  You can obviously see how having 2 of these in a gang (being fired by BS6 and BS5 guys) is a daunting prospect. 

Jonah doesn't use them properly though.  The draw back to shooting on High Power is that they only have 16"range and take a turn to power back up.  There is no Gets Hot rule.  As a result, Jonah usually fires them at low energy, content to just sit back and fire a decently powerful shot every turn, usually on Overwatch.  This is the wrong way to use Plasma guns in Necromunda.

The way to use Plasma Guns is as mid range support weapons for your close range teams.  Give them to a Ganger with agility skills, have them sprint forwards into cover, pop up, let of a burst of High Energy Plasma, then spend the next turn repositioning anywhere within 12", and blasting away again at high energy from a flank.  Sending a Plasma gunner down an opponent's flank the turn before you charge with your CC team will turn a lot of the enemy guns away from your main strike force.  Such tactics are easiest for Escher to employ because their Heavies get Agility skills, but Cawdor and Delaque can readily employ it too if they roll a Specialist.  I mean to buy one before this campaign is done.

Anyway, Jonah usually sets up with his Stubber, plasma gunner(s) and leader up high with the rest of his gang spread out around them to take incoming fire.    His Vent team normally gets deployed close to an enemy flank to take advantage of short range modifiers, and reduced cover.  Those tactics were successful for a long time against the Orlock Player and only finally came unstuck once he went up against Octavian who has a much more dynamic and aggressive playing style. 

His set up didn't vary this time either.  His Stubber, plasma gunners and bolter marksman were stationed high up and positioned facing the Orlocks.  Below them, he had his Leader, and 3 lasgunners and on the ground level he had a flamer guy and a shotgunner both armed with swords. The flamer and the shotgunner both have combat skills and were there to stay in heavy cover, probably hiding, and would intercept any enemy melee specialists.  His vent team consisted of a flamer guy and two autopistol gunfighters.

The Black Coats

To the West, Gannicus divided his gang into 4 teams.  His heavy Stubber, 2 lasgunners and Bolter Bill were positioned up high and to the back.  Below and in front of his ranged team, he had two three man teams, on the left, closer to Jonah, he had 3 shotgunners, to the right, closer to Octavian he had Smiling Sam and 2 shotgunners.  His vent team consisted of 2 juves with autopistols and Flaming Moe.  He also had an infiltrator equipped for close combat which he placed just to the East of the centre of the board, at a spot that would have been perfect for Octavian's Tunnel team to get the jump on the Orlocks.  Once Again, he hired a Ratskin Scout with Infiltrate and Sprint, and deployed him in heavy cover, 10" away from the Orlocks.

House Bloodaxe

Octavian announced that if he won the game and took the Spore Cave, he would be donating the territory to Jonah.  This was despite Jonah having turned down his offer of an alliance.  This was obviously done in an attempt to curry favour with Jonah and to avoid the prospect of having to fight a Cawdor-Delaque-Van Saar alliance in future turns.  Jonah told him that he was happy to accept any territory that anyone wanted to give him for free, but that OCtavian shouldn't expect anything in return.

An interesting strategic move, to be sure.  Probably pretty smart too.  For reasons I've already mentioned, it would be difficult in any case for either Jonah, Octavian or Gannicus to win the territory by taking out a minimum of 3 Orlock casualties acting on their own and then beating the other two gangs, so offering to give the Spore Cave to Jonah ahead of the game was a grand gesture that he probably wouldn't have to follow through on anyway.

However - If it worked out and Jonah ended up with the territory though, then it could be a potentially brilliant strategic move.  Have a look at the map.  Say that Jonah ends up with the Spore Cave after this game.  That would leave Octavian facing three opponents, but one of those opponents (Gannicus) would only have a narrow path of attack (via the Delaque Friendly Doc, towards theGoliath Workshop).  If Octavian was cunning enough (and he could be), all he would have to do next turn would be to hold Gannicus off for one game (ie - either win, or at least not lose by enough to lose the Workshop), and then attack either me or Jonah via the Workshop, tank the game, and lose the Workshop, thereby sealing his territories off from Gannicus.  Assuming that Joffrey gets taken out soon, that would leave Gannicus with no option but to attack either me or Jonah.  Obviously Gannicus would attack Jonah which would probably result in a war between Gannicus and Jonah, leaving just me as an active opponent.

Fuuuuuck.  Surely there's no way a teenager would be that clever?

Octavian's tactics were obvious as soon as he set up - let Jonah take care of the Orlocks on his own and simply run interference on Gannicus.  He divided his 18 man gang into 5 teams starting with a five man ranged team in elevated positions to the back and left (west) of his deployment zone.  They were obviously set up to target Gannicus to the West rather than the Orlocks to the East.  Two close combat gangers and a shotgunner deployed on the ground floor and to the left of them.  In the middle right he deployed Bloodaxe and another 4 gangers, two CC specialists, a lasgunner and a juve.  He kept back 6 CC specialists which would be deployed from Vents and Tunnels.  For once, he didn't hire any mercenaries.

Rest to be posed shortly.  It would be of great assistance if someone could post a reply to help me avoid the automerge/wordcount bug.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:58:44 AM by Underhand »

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #234 on: October 27, 2012, 12:04:04 PM »
Let the games begin!!  :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 12:05:23 PM by Lonewolf »

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Awfully Dandy

« Reply #235 on: October 27, 2012, 01:44:29 PM »
Keep us posted Underhand, this is a fantastic thread!

Offline Underhand

« Reply #236 on: October 28, 2012, 08:50:11 AM »
Thank you gentlemen.

Turn 1

Jonah got the first turn and took a couple of shots at the Orlocks who were in heavy cover, pinning one and wounding another, but not taking anyone down.  He deployed his Vent team to the North  East in a flanking position overlooking the Orlock position.  He repositioned a few other guys and put the rest of his gang on Overwatch, facing the Orlocks, with the exception of the flamer guy and CC specialist on the ground floor, whom he put into hiding.

The Orlock Player went next and managed to manouver one of his gangers into a position where he had a clear shot at the Orlock Vent team (used the Hip Shooting skill which allows him to run and fire with a -1 to shooting).  That also soaked up a couple of Overwatch shots which missed.  The rest of his gang stuck to cover, but either went into hiding or Overwatch facing the Vent team.

The hip shooter managed to land a hit on one of the Vent team, hiting Jonah's flamer guy.  That hit wasn't enough on its own to take out the Shotgunner, but it did cause him to lose his footing and hit the ground, two stories below, which was more than enough to take him down.

Octavian ran both his close combat squads at Gannicus.

He had 2 lasguns and his Heavy Stubber in range and with a shot, and he opened up with all of them.  The lasguns both missed, but the Heavy Stubber was dead on target and managed to get 2 hits on a lasgunner and Gannicus's Heavy, wounding both, taking down the lasgunner.  Unfortunately for Octavian though, he failed an ammo roll, and would have lost his stubber, but was saved by his Workshop

He deployed his Vent team towards Gannicus's flank, in a similar way that he attempted on me last turn, and in a similar way to how Jonah does every game.  His Tunnel team were deployed below them and would probably be able to make it into close combat in a couple of turns time.

Gannicus hadn't had the ideal start to the game, losing a BS5 lasgunner with Rapid fire and having a wound taken off his Heavy, who was also pinned (and failed his pin check).  The pinning of the Heavy Stubber was the worst part since it deprived Gannicus of its firepower this turn, or the option of going into Overwatch, and when you have a geared, well experienced  up Goliath Gang heading your way, a Heavy Stubber isn't a luxury, it's a necessity.

His first move was to redeploy his shotgun teams to intercept the Goliath charge.  Gannicus has several Hipshooters in his gang, and they were able to redeploy quickly and direct fire at the tunnel team, taking one of them down.

Bolter Bill claimed all the glory for turn 1 however, using his Marksman skill to line up the Orlock Heavy Stubber and taking him down with a single well placed shot.

The Black Coats main force clearly needed some backup to cope with the Goliath threat, so Gannicus sent Flaming Moe, dropping him out of a Vent close to the second shotgun team.  If it had been me, I would have deployed the entire Vent team against the Goliaths, but Gannicus has complete disdain for Goliaths under the official rules, and took them more lightly than I would have.  Over towards the  centre of the board, he deployed both Juves next to the Ratskin infiltrator.

Score:  Up/Down/Out
Van Saar: 11/1/0
Orlocks:  8/0/0
Goliaths:  16/2/0
Delaque:  14/1/0

Turn 2

Jonah's turn opened with a fusilade of Overwatch lasgun fire from the Orlocks directed at the Van Saar Vent team as soon as they popped their heads up out of cover to line up the Orlocks.  They both got taken down having soaked up 6 lasgun shots between them.  Jonah would be taking a bottle roll next turn.

The Van Saar response was typically brutal and efficient, a combination of heavy stubber and plasma gun fire taking out one Orlock and taking down another.   Another 3 Orlocks were pinned by lasgun fire .

Downstairs, Jonah repositioned his interceptors to better defend against the Delaque Infiltrators and Vent Juves.

With only 3 unpinned gang members on their feet, the Orlock counterfire was pretty unspectacular, succeeding in pinning a single Van Saar lasgunner.  He also took a shot at a Delaque Juve who wasn't quite out of view and managed to pin him.  With one guy out of action and another down, he would be taking a bottle roll next turn too.  And if he was lucky, he would fail it.

With Jonah having the Orlock situation well in hand, Octavian was not going to be rushed in taking the Delaques part.  Rather than rush forwards to get into close combat as soon as possible, and with cannon fodder to spare, he was prepared to spend a turn getting all of his guys into position before bringing the hammer down in one single unstoppable multi angle charge into close combat.

The pinned tunneler recovered at the begining of the turn (Nerves of Steel) and with the other one who was still standing, returned fire with autopistols at Smiling Sam and his shotgunners, wounding one and pinning another.  The downed Tunneler recovered to a flesh wound at the end of the turn as a result of his True Grit.

With one guy down and having committed 4 of his guys to dealing with the Orlocks, Gannicus was left with only 10 (8 of whom were unpinned) guys to deal with 17 Goliaths, 3 of whom were already within charge range, and the rest of whom were spreading their net for a turn 4 charge.  I think it was at this point that he might have realised that he'd underestimated the threat posed by Octavian.

A lot of people, upon realising that they have made a grave error that is likely to result in disaster can let it negatively effect their gameplay.  The realisation that they have made an error of judgment, that they aren't as good as they thought they were, that they've stupidly ignored the wise counsel of a trusted ally and so forth can cause them to second guess their own judgment and make further bad choices (this has been happening with Joffrey lately).  Not Gannicus though.  For all the disadvantages his complete inability to engage in any introspection might carry, it does at least mean that he doesn't dwell on the mistakes of the past.  More so than most people, Gannicus has the ability to play the game in front of him, rather than the game in front of him, and that's an ability worth having, both in Necromunda, and life generally.  As in Necromunda, so it is in life*.

Anyway, Gannicus started subtly repositioning his guys, paying particular attention to how far apart they were from each other and examining his Gang Roster really carefully and getting down to table level to check lines of sight.  Of his guys at ground level, he ran 4 to new positions, placed 2 on Overwatch and was able to shoot with 5 due to some of them having Hip Shooting.  Only one guy ended up in charge range for turn 3.

Gannicus might have only had 5 guys who could shoot, at ground level but many of them were capable of firing multiple times.  Smiling Sam started up the shooting and took out one of the Tunnelers.  A lasgun wounded a Goliath Juve, but only dealt a flesh wound.  Shotguns with a mixture of manstoppers and scatter shot took down anothe Goliath, took wounds off another 2 and pinned another. 

Up top, the Heavy Stubber took down a lasgunner and Bolter Bill pinned another.

Score:  Up/Down/Out
Van Saar: 9/3/1
Orlocks:  6/1/1
Goliaths:  14/4/0
Delaque:  13/2/0

*Carl Sagan

Turn 3

Jonah passed his bottle check and opened up on the Orlocks.  He took down one and pinned another 3.  One of his Vent team members went out of action.

The Orlock Player passed his bottle check.  2 Orlocks recovered from pinning, and they fired back at the Van Saar, taking down a lasgunner.  Mortlock repositioned himself and took a shot at one of the downed Vent team members, hitting him and dealing 5 wounds, which took him out of action.

Octavian had about half of his force more or less in position and he shot at the Delaques he could see, which was only 3 guys, one of which he took down and two of which he pinned.

The other half of his force was led by Bloodaxe and they continued to run to spread out around the Delaques for a charge on turn 4.  Overwatch fire from Gannicus took down a Juve and pinned Bloodaxe, but the remaining 5 Goliaths continued their run ending up in cover ready for the attack next turn.

Both of Gannicus's pinned gang members recovered and went into Overwatch (he had positioned his gangers so that they would help each other recover from pinning).  The two shotgunners who were in Overwatch from last turn remained in Overwatch too, ready to meet the Goliath charge with solid slug and manstopper shotgun rounds.  Behind that first line of defence, Smiling Sam pulled back and positioned himself to cover the widest angle of Goliath approach possible with his twin bolt pistols.    Over to the Western side of the table, Flaming Moe slid into cover the Western avenue of Goliath approach with his flamer.

Behind them from above, Bolter Bill slid two stories down a ladder and turned to cover the Delaques on the ground floor.  He was unable to shoot this turn, but he would provide deadly cover fire in the Delaque turn 4, if they were still in the fight at that stage.

The Delaque Heavy Stubberist was too far away from the ladder to be able to get into a position to be able to fire on turn 4, and Octavian had put his last standing lasgunner in hiding, so he turned to face the Orlock position to the East and went into Overwatch (not having a shot at the pinned Orlocks who were lying down behind cover). 

The Ratskin and the two Juves kept their heads down and went into Overwatch.  The close combat Infiltrator darted out of cover and used his Dive skill to hide in cover within charging distance of the Orlocks.

In the shooting phase, Moe fired an autopistol at the Tunnel team and pinned one of them.  Smiling Sam took down another Ganger but in doing so failed an ammo check on one of his boltpistols, losing it for the rest of the game.

Gannicus kept a poker face, and Jonah always maintains stoic inscrutability during a game, but I can't have been the only one who noted how Gannicus's casual adjustment of the Heavy Stubber to face the Orlock position cooincidentaly happened to also bring the Van Saar into its fire arc.

Score:
Van Saar: 8/3/2
Orlocks:  5/2/1
Goliaths:  12/6/0
Delaque:  12/3/0
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:11:29 AM by Underhand »

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #237 on: October 28, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »
Intriguing...

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #238 on: October 28, 2012, 10:37:53 AM »
Actually I find the best use of plasma guns is to have a leader with two of them, shoot one while the other recharges!
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Scorn

• Supreme Archon of Commorragh | Nasty Sky Juice | Title (and/or) Whore |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar
« Reply #239 on: October 31, 2012, 02:55:47 AM »
Come on Underhand, keep that momentum going.  More posts...
Rejoice.  Despair. 
Fate does not care.
Each knotted mind entwined. 
Each soul another's bind.
And blind though we are led. 
In time we do know when, to cut a thread.
-Erfworld