News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tyranid painting question  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Sparto

Tyranid painting question
« on: February 26, 2009, 05:07:12 PM »
Hey ... I am new to nids (done IG for over a yr or so) and I am stuck when painting.  My scheme is a base of regal blue with black wash, then bleach bone for the back and sything talons (only doning gene stealers so far), then a highlight of ice blue.  My question is feeder tendrils what color would look good and if any one could give me a pointer on painting technique would be great.  Cheers.

Sparto
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:41:08 PM by Chuckles »

Offline Snike

• ...I personally prefer the term "beyond faith".
Re: Tyranid painting question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 03:33:45 AM »
Could you show us a picture? Of what you described I can pretty much imagine what they look like and my first thought was "a reverse scheme would look cooler". But that's just me giving my opinions when no-one was asking them.
About what you asked; what colour are the mouths and cracks in the skin and joints of your Nids? I would paint the tendrils with the same colour. Otherwise, a fleshy or fishy (pale, slimy-looking) paint job could look nice if done properly.
I'LL BE BACK SOON!

CSM - Nurgle - The Dead Company of Morgion - 4900+ points and growing
Nids - Hive Fleet Thanatos - 2100 points and growing (reaaally slowly)
Coming maybe someday: Orks - Da Black Jawz

Check this out! :D

Offline Sparto

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 01:03:03 PM »
cracks in the skin are done with lytch purple, I thought about a reverse paint scheme, but i really liked my test pain I did so I ran with it.  Can't post pic's right now ... my daughter (who is 14 mnths) decided it would be a good idea to float my camera in the toilet  :o .  How would you paint the fleshy, slimy colors ... i tried that last night and it went terrible ... I can't get used to these new washes ... i prefered my old ink's i cant get any more. 

Offline Snike

• ...I personally prefer the term "beyond faith".
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 02:14:09 PM »
Well then, some of that Liche Purple with a red wash and then some varnish (Isn't that the shiny stuff?) could potentially work. Test it on something other than the actual Tendrils first to see if it looks good before slapping any paint (which is a pain in the ass to remove from plastics) on the models themselves.
Also, I don't know what's your problem with the new washes. They should be really easy to use. I personally love them. They saved my Plague Marines' paint job from looking like crap.
About the camera, I feel your pain.
I'LL BE BACK SOON!

CSM - Nurgle - The Dead Company of Morgion - 4900+ points and growing
Nids - Hive Fleet Thanatos - 2100 points and growing (reaaally slowly)
Coming maybe someday: Orks - Da Black Jawz

Check this out! :D

Offline Sparto

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 04:25:51 PM »
I am OCD and once I learn something it is hard to change ... I have been working on it, just getting used to the new stuff.  For the record I love the Ogrin Flesh wash for my IG, along with the black wash (never mess up and make it too dark).  Going to buy a Nicon P80 to replace my old cammera I think (10 Mpix 18 otical zoom).  So you would just do a simple lytch purple base with some red wash?  thanks for the pointers ... still getting used to the nids, compaird to my hords of IG i have been paing for the past 18 mnths.

Offline Dark Eye

• Not too shabby
    • Dark Eye Studios
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 05:59:10 PM »
The biggest problem with the new washes is that they are still new and it's gonna take time and experimentation to get used to them. For anyone. I've had a lot of play time with them from even before they were released, and while I can say I've never tried the Baal Red on Liche Purple, I'm simply guessing that it may not prove to be great. It may work, but lighter colours on darker ones is more Glazing, rather than washing, and is FTW for tying together highlights and basecoats.

What I may suggest, as it worked for me on my Vampire test piece, is the Purple Wash (Leviathan?) on top of Dwarf Flesh. That gives a vaguely natural look. Using Tentacle Pink may add the old school Genestealer look from Space Hulk. Either way, darker washes on lighter colours.

As far as creating a slimely look, or wet look, the Gloss Varnish paint pot has been used by many for a long time. Simply paint on. Perfect for LEDs and lights and such. Something I saw fairly recently by a long time pro was painting on layers of PVA glue if you want depth (like in a mouth of a Carnifex say) and then a brush of the GW Water Effect or similar product. Being really clever, and this ISN'T hard, but is fiddly, is to get a short light hair. Pluck an eyebrow or something and make it blonde! Then (and here's the tricky part) PVA it to the finished paintjob where you want slime. Imagine it's flocking the base with grass, only one blade and on it's chin! Then, build up many layers with PVA glue. Takes time, but it's so easy. Finally, when you have your trickly of slime, Water Effect it once or twice for added reflective watery look!!!

Sounds pro, but I've hopefully broken it down to simply understand and you'll be amazed of how simple it is. REALLY REALLY EASY!!!!   

Offline Sparto

« Reply #6 on: March 3, 2009, 06:07:26 AM »
Thanks for some tips, now I have nearly completed my first modded Guant (first one always takes longer), and a few Gene Steelers have been painted, going to upload pic's tmrw .... cant wait to get some reviews.