News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2k Nids, Various Themes (Current: Vanguard Force)  (Read 2186 times)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
2k Nids, Various Themes (Current: Vanguard Force)
« on: June 6, 2005, 11:14:42 AM »
Oh my God I love the new Codex *drools*, but instead of going into a rant about it I'll just post one of the lists I drew up (I have a habit of making lists when I'm bored). I half wish I didn't buy it though, there's no way I can start my High Elf army now, I need to get these new Nids, thank my parents for having me born in June, birthday's rock when getting models ;D.

2k[/b]

HQ[/b]
Hive Tyrant
Wings
Pair Of Scything Talons
Both Adrenal Glands
Toxin Sacs
Acid Maw
Warp Field
=197pts

HQ=197pts

E[/b]
3 Lictors
=240pts

E=240pts

T[/b]
(x2) 20 Hormagaunts
Initive Adrenal Glands
=440pts (220/brood)

(x2) 20 Hormagaunts
Toxin Sacs
=480pts (240/brood)

T=920pts

FA[/b]
(x2) 4 Warriors
Rending Claws
Scything Talons
Both Adrenal Glands
Toxin Sacs
Flesh Hooks
Wings
Symbiote Rippers
=392pts (196/brood)

5 Raveners
Scything Talons & Rending Claws
Devourers
=250pts

FA=642pts

Total=1999pts

It's been a while since I played Nids, they were my first army when I was a n00b and have always been up there as my favourite army overall ;D

Opinions?

~MTWC
« Last Edit: June 8, 2005, 07:58:00 AM by Makenshi, The White Cloud (Slann Pwner) »
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Black Widow DLS

• Proud member of DLS
Re: 2k Nids, Can You Say Fast?
« Reply #1 on: June 6, 2005, 04:51:41 PM »
I like It ;D Very CC orientented, but a VC here and there might be useful. And yes, I can say fast. I can't wait too get the new dex, only a couple more hours :) ;) :D ;D 8) ::)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: June 6, 2005, 05:00:23 PM »
Don't think I'd get a VC, means either putting it with the Tyrant (making him loose out on a valuable CC Attack) or with the Warriors (which are meant for CC too).

The point of this list is too get into CC ASAP. The deepstriking Lictors and Raveners (the latter only if deepstrike is allowd) will serve as nasty surprises, the Tyrant and Warriors will hit the lines first with the Gaunts following close behind.

~MTWC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Black Widow DLS

• Proud member of DLS
« Reply #3 on: June 6, 2005, 05:08:28 PM »
Actually, your right, I just checked to see if you could take away something and add something else, but all those models seem like it would be hard to kill so quick. I should really think of uses more than 20 gaunts each game...

Offline JaedenKaal

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Archon, Kabal of the Black Contagion
« Reply #4 on: June 6, 2005, 08:07:42 PM »
I assume the FA warriors also have wings.

Well, You may find that fast skimmers give you trouble.  They're hard to catch and just as hard to hit once you've caught it.  if you don't play many eldar/dark eldar, don't worry about it, but if you do, you may want to invest in either some VCs if you don't want to catch the skimmers, or bioplasma if you want to catch them but can't hit them in CC.

You also currently have no way of dealing with a monolith.  If you never see them, that's great.  If you do... good luck
Scream, mon-keigh!  Scream for your emperor!  He cannot hear your cries, cannot save you from eternal torment at the hands of my haemonculi!  Which reminds me...  I need new bedsheets...

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: June 7, 2005, 07:03:43 AM »
Yes they do have wings, forgot to put it in.

This is one of the my first lists that I'll make under the new dex and I'll see which I prefer.

I don't play any Necrons, haven't done so for a logn time but my old tactic of ignore the Monolith usually worked so I'll probably stick with that and try to stay out of reach of it's weapons.

Skimmers I hadn't thought about, I guess I'll have to pull them down through sheer weight of attacks, that or have the Lictors/Raveners try to catch them when they haven't moved.

Thanks for the help ;D.

~MTWC

Offline Nayl

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: June 7, 2005, 07:37:26 AM »
intersting choices i to dont use much firepower (it not the nid way)
raveners they will die 2 squads of marines pouring bolts into them will reduce them to pieces no good in my personal opinion
warriors with wings ??? not sure in ths army i tried to use them in mine and the leaping ones always did best plus there cheaper with leaping now with the new rules they cant have wings and extended carapace ahhhhh bolter death again
hive tyrant with warp fiels no no no no to expensive for 6+inv

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: June 7, 2005, 07:47:12 AM »
intersting choices i to dont use much firepower (it not the nid way)
raveners they will die 2 squads of marines pouring bolts into them will reduce them to pieces no good in my personal opinion

That's assuming the very quick raveners don't charge them first, also since when is every army everyone plays SMurfs? And finally, most nids die from bolter death, it's nothing new.

warriors with wings ??? not sure in ths army i tried to use them in mine and the leaping ones always did best plus there cheaper with leaping now with the new rules they cant have wings and extended carapace ahhhhh bolter death again

And you base this on what? Technically winged Warriors will get there first, being able to move 12" each turn rather the 6" until they get within assault range.

See my comment about bolter death above.

hive tyrant with warp fiels no no no no to expensive for 6+inv

Not for that and the normal armour save I get with it.

~MTWC

Offline Aliasara

• O NOES! It's the SMurfs AGAIN! *Yawns*
« Reply #8 on: June 7, 2005, 01:29:16 PM »
In my opinion this is a nice and fun list, similar to the one a friend of mine plays. I must say that you will be totally obliterated by a decent counterstrike force though. You also lack the kind of heavy hitting power to reduce the really fearsome HtH fighters like Chaos Demon princes, greater deamons, C'than etc....
You most definately will run into trouble vs. enemy tanks with a though hide of armor.
You should probably try and balance the list a little more. Less speed and greater numbers, some firepower adn some of the REALLY big guys might be useful.
Dumm ist nur wer Dummes tut!!

All spelling mistakes are intentional. Finders-Keepers!

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
Re: 2k Nids, Various?
« Reply #9 on: June 8, 2005, 07:53:45 AM »
Thanks for the comments, you've pointed out some gaping holes in the lsit, as such I've come up with some others, however for now I'll just post one of them.

This list will surpsie most people I face, as it has nothign worse than 4+ saves :o.

2k Vanguard Nids[/b]

HQ[/b]
Broodlord
Implant Attack
Adrenal Glands
Flesh Hooks
=89pts

8 Genestealers
Scything Talons
Extended Carapce
=192pts

HQ=284pts

E[/b]
3 Lictors
=240pts

E=240pts

T[/b]
(x2) 8 Genestealers
Extended Carapace
Scything Talons
=384pts (192/Brood)

(x2) 8 Genestealers
Extended Carapace
Toxin Sacs
Feeder Tendrils
=384pts (192/Brood)

10 Genestealers
Extended Carapace
Scything Talons
Flesh Hooks
=250pts

T=1018pts

HS[/b]
'Juggernaught' Fex
Venom Cannon
Tail Mace
Regenerate
Reinfroced Chitin
Extended Carapce
Scything Talons
Bonded Exoskeleton
Enhances Senses
=231pts

(x2) 'Sickle' Fex
2 Scythign Talons
Scythe Tail
Ws Adrenal Glands
=230pts (115pts/Fex)

HS=461pts

Total=2000pts

Opinions?

~MTWC
« Last Edit: June 8, 2005, 04:46:16 PM by Makenshi, The White Cloud »

Offline JaedenKaal

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Archon, Kabal of the Black Contagion
Re: 2k Nids, Various Themes (Current: Vanguard Force)
« Reply #10 on: June 8, 2005, 08:05:28 AM »
Just a few things.  Sadly, to be an elites choice a carnifex must be LESS than 115 pts, not 115 pts.

Second, your juggernaught fex only has BS 2 with the venom cannon... I'm not sure that's as effective as you might like.  I'd think about investing in either an enhanced ballistic skill, or a twin-linked gun (or both).

Nothing else strikes me right off the bat.. pity about the 'fexes, though
Scream, mon-keigh!  Scream for your emperor!  He cannot hear your cries, cannot save you from eternal torment at the hands of my haemonculi!  Which reminds me...  I need new bedsheets...

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #11 on: June 8, 2005, 08:16:01 AM »
Just a few things.  Sadly, to be an elites choice a carnifex must be LESS than 115 pts, not 115 pts.

Second, your juggernaught fex only has BS 2 with the venom cannon... I'm not sure that's as effective as you might like.  I'd think about investing in either an enhanced ballistic skill, or a twin-linked gun (or both).

Nothing else strikes me right off the bat.. pity about the 'fexes, though

Good call on the Elite fexes (seems a bit strange, making the mac 114, a bit odd don;t you think?), shouldn't be too hard to sort out, I'll edit it now, that or just moves them to HS.

I thought I gave the HS Fex Enhanced sense but it seems I didn't, I'll loose some of the point fillers to make room.

EDIT- Put the Elite ones in the HS section, I didn't want to loose any of their biomorphs. HS fex has had Ehanced Sense added in at the expence of Spinebanks.

Also modified the Broodlord's Biomorphs to put the list back at 2k.

~MTWC
« Last Edit: June 8, 2005, 08:20:40 AM by Makenshi, The White Cloud (Slann Pwner) »

Offline TheEntity

• 40k Online *LOVES* me! :)
« Reply #12 on: June 9, 2005, 07:03:00 AM »
Your second army list with the broodlord in it looks really nice not much worry about synapse with that list so you shouldnt have any problems  :)
There are somethings money can buy for everything else theres theft ^_^

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #13 on: June 9, 2005, 07:24:49 AM »
Thanks, that was the aim in mind, no need for Synapse ;D.

Anyway, I've got another (fairly similar) list here with more variety in unit chocies and soem faster units, the above list is a bit slow.

2k Vanguard Nids Version 2.0[/b]

HQ[/b]
'Reaper' Tyrant
Warp Field
Both Adrenal Glands
Winged
Dual Scything Talons
Toxin Sacs
Flesh Hooks
Toxic Miasma (Filler)
Symbiote Rippers (Filler)
Implant Attack (Filler)
=221pts

HQ=221pts

E[/b]
3 Lictors
=240pts

E=240pts

T[/b]
(x4) 8 Genestealers
Extended Carapace
Scything Talons
=768pts (192/Brood)

T=768pts

FA[/b]
3 Raveners
Scything Talons
Rending Claws
Devourer
=150pts

4 Raveners
Scything Talons
Rending Claws
Devourer
=200pts

FA=350pts

HS[/b]
(x2) 'Earthshaker' Fex
Venom Cannon
Barbed Strangler
Bonded Exoskeleton
Reinforced Chitin
Extended Carapace
Enhanced Senses
Flesh Hooks (Filler and I like the idea of Fexes with big guns climbing stuff)
=418pts (209/Fex)

HS=418pts

Total=1997pts

Opinions?

~MTWC

Offline Aliasara

• O NOES! It's the SMurfs AGAIN! *Yawns*
« Reply #14 on: June 9, 2005, 03:07:02 PM »
This one will be tricky as hell to play. You really need a lot of Terrain to work some saving throw magic for you. Especilly shooty armies will have a field day with this army. Just using genestealers is generally a bad idea. They get shot down, 2 squads (to say the least) per turn when i think about my Iron warriors army. Sure your winged tyrant will annihilate a squad or two, but when somebody plays a rather "balanced" army they will shoot you down and then their Counterattack will annihilate you. Imho you need more meat, you should think about including a couple of ripper swarms to bind the opponent in CC till your Bad Guys are there. And always remember: There are Characters out there who just mop up the floor with even the most tooled up hivetyrant. A Demon Prince is nothing to beep with. Many a nid player has looked very surprised when my Demon Prince or General with a terminatorsquad rushed in and dispatched his prized leadermonster with a few well-aimed chops of a nightblade. What I really meant to say is the following: You will need some more support of the little ones to soak up damage and support the Heavy-Hitters for your list to be effective. If you just play cuz you LOVE genestealers hey: Go for it. I am just posting with the effectiveness in mind.

Minor edit for language - jwu
« Last Edit: June 9, 2005, 03:17:16 PM by Arcas »
Dumm ist nur wer Dummes tut!!

All spelling mistakes are intentional. Finders-Keepers!

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #15 on: June 9, 2005, 03:20:27 PM »
Yes, my 4+ save stealers will be mowed down because of their crappy saves...

Iron Warriros mow down anything, it's what they do.

You also seem to forget the deepstriking Lictors and Raveners, not to mention long range tough as nail Fexes.

Also could you pelase expand on your other claims on Counter-attacks destroying me and the DPs (who will have a hard time Vs an I 6 Implant Attack Tyrant with 5 attacks when he isn't charging, high T&S and Warp Field).

~MTWC

Offline TheEntity

• 40k Online *LOVES* me! :)
« Reply #16 on: June 9, 2005, 05:41:14 PM »
If you did use ripper swarms bare in mind they are mindless so are not effected by instinctive behaviour anywho so it would fit in quite nicely with genestealers
There are somethings money can buy for everything else theres theft ^_^

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #17 on: June 9, 2005, 05:48:25 PM »
yeah Aliasara's post is a bit off...
Nice list Mak, do you intend to have the Winged Tyrant acting alone or with another unit? Cause if it's going to work with someone else lose the symbiote rippers. I would give your stealers implant attack/acid maw/both, mine have both and have yet to find something they can't completely maul in close wombat with the doubled up wounds and rerolls. Also lose the flesh hooks on the Fex, with it's tiny I there's little point anyway, vertically impassable terrain isn't a biggie. I'd also vary the Raveners, give one brood 2 sets of Scything talons and maybe a different bioweapon, have them working in tandem with each other.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #18 on: June 9, 2005, 05:51:26 PM »

Also lose the flesh hooks on the Fex, with it's tiny I there's little point anyway, vertically impassable terrain isn't a biggie.
The point of flesh hooks is that it can strike simultaneously with the enemy if he happens to be in cover - this way cover actually turns into a disadvantage to the enemy.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #19 on: June 9, 2005, 05:56:15 PM »
Tyrant will probably do a mix of character hunting, tank huntign and other stuff, it's just general, t;s purpose will be decided before/during the game. The rippers are a tiny amount of points and were a filler.

Implant attack and Acid Maw are too expensive for my liking, considering their effectiveness, talons and carapace are fine by me, I get extra attacks and 4+ save.

~MTWC