News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Space Marine chapter journal  (Read 17666 times)

Offline ChrisCummins

Re: Space Marine chapter journal
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
Step by step - Scout sergeant
This is in an attempt to get step by step feedback on how I model, and to hopefully help or inspire others.

1) GW skull white primer:

2) All the tools I'm going to use + Graveyard earth basecoat on cloth areas, brush size 0.

3) Chaos black basecoat - I only use a single coat of paint, as I come back and repeat each stage later.

4) Scorched brown on leather.

5) Catachan green on sheath and laspistol. Codex grey and chainmail on grenades and cooling vents. 000 brush used for smaller areas like the piping.

6)

7) Skull white on ensign followed by blood red.

8) Tanned flesh on face (more on that later...)

9) Boltgun metal on sword.

That's all I've got up to so far, I'll edit this message to add on the extra details as I progress.

Comments and criticism welcome. :)
Chris

Offline u9k13

• This is u9k13, as if you couldn't tell.
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 12:10:43 PM »
That assault marine with two powerfists looks like he is doing a bad disco dance!  :D

Nice paint scheme. I agree, stick with the blue helmets, it looks good as a accent colour and works well on the termie weapons aswell.
Impressive.

Offline Alexander's Son

• Mentor - Newbies feel free to ask for any help.
    • Alexander Son's web page
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2008, 07:34:10 PM »
That assault marine with two powerfists looks like he is doing a bad disco dance!  :D

LOL... can't argue with this... YMCA...
Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

A suspicious mind is a healthy mind

Offline ChrisCummins

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 01:56:04 AM »

BAD disco dance?? He worked his power-fingers to the bone to perfect that routine!

Offline ChrisCummins

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 02:54:23 PM »
Terminator finished. I've decided that seen as this is a full army thread, I'll start posting the unit's stats and options to try and get feedback on that as well.

Brother Paul
Terminator command squad
Parent Squad: HQ Squad Bravo
Primary Weapon: Storm bolter
Assault Weapon: Chainfist
Special Skills: Furious charge

Final details came in the form of lettering, a bkack oil wash, brass ammunition, drilled barrels and work on the face.

Overall I'm pretty impressed by how he turned out - particularly the face and the shoulder pad detail (I'm leaving this on the wrong shoulder rather than risking a swap). The blood effect needs a bit of perfecting however.

Compared to the other models so far, this was a relatively speedy paint job (less than 3 hours excluding drying time) due to the simplicity of the colour scheme).

WIP on Company Champion. I'm going to try to be quite adventurous with the use of light and shadow on this one, hopefully having the model lit by the glow of the power sword.

Echo Combat Scout (right in above pic)
Space marine scout
Parent Squad: Scout Squad Echo
Primary Weapon: Combat Shotgun
Special Skills: Acute Senses (this is a chapter trait, enables a re-roll on night-fighting vision test).

Comments and criticisms welcome. :)
Chris
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 06:08:01 PM by ChrisCummins »

Offline ChrisCummins

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 04:39:19 PM »
Rhino update
I tried my first 'experiment' today (i.e not a tried and tested method that I've nabbed and tried to copy...), in that I tried to create the effect that extended heat has on chrome onto the smoke launchers. I'm fairly certain this is bad science, but I figured a smoke launcher would probably get pretty hot after repeated uses. So anyways, on with the drybrushed Sunburst Yellow.

Beastial brown:

Scab red:

Fenris grey (foundation colour):

Final Ice blue highlighting:

VERDICT: Over the top? Definately. Cool? I think so - it's certainly a bit of a novelty, and with a bit of work I'm sure could be used quite effectively.

Now for my favorite thing in the whole world: oil washes! :D haha - black wash this time, trying to get that oily-grubby look, and save the colour scheme from the clashing grey/red disaster that has been putting me off doing more work on the rhino....

Next will be the hull sides, back and top.

Chris

Offline Alexander's Son

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 05:32:47 PM »
 It was looking very nice before the Grey and Blue highlights... I think by what I see!

On the other side now... you sir are stealing my paint scheme! My Wolves' vehicles have the same, or almost the same, painting scheme! I think I will ask for copyright issues... :-P

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 05:48:54 PM »
Now for my favorite thing in the whole world: oil washes!  :D haha - black wash this time, trying to get that oily-grubby look, and save the colour scheme from the clashing grey/red disaster that has been putting me off doing more work on the rhino....

You certainly achieved that. It looks excellent, now that the red has been toned down a little.

Offline Jerseyboy381

• The Jersey General
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 05:59:16 PM »
That's possibly the best rhino I've yet to see.  Makes me want to go back and play some more with my predator, "Fire Magnet" (sadly, he earned tat name his first battle)  One thing..You should go back and edit a few posts up there.  You've got points values, which is a no-no.
Everyone else is doing it so...Behold the great General's gaming blog!
Armies: ULTRAmarines!, Necron, Vampire Counts, Pure Nurgle CSM.
Work-in-progress armies:Tau, Orks, Empire.

Offline ChrisCummins

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 06:29:20 PM »
Thanks everyone. :) Alexander's son, I'd probably agree with you, but I think the photos don't really serve as an accurate representation of the finished effect. My penultimate photo probably is the most accuracte.

One thing..You should go back and edit a few posts up there.  You've got points values, which is a no-no.

Ok thanks I wasn't aware of that. Is that forum rules or a legal issue?

Chris

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 06:36:55 PM »
Both, as it happens.

Posting overall points costs for units and vehicles is fine, but posting individual costs is a no-no. It violates Games Workshop's IP policy, and could land the site in hot water. Hot water full of lawyers.

Offline ChrisCummins

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2008, 06:49:06 PM »
haha thanks for that, v. informative - i could never handle GW's IP policy page, I kept wondering if they could sue you a shabby paint job on some termies, as that could technically constitute 'devaluing' the product  :P

Oh and with regards to the Space Wolves similarities alex's son, I noticed the similarity a little while ago, to the extent that I was almost to stick some long hair and pointy teeth on some of them, but decided against them (i like my librarian too much - although the idea of fielding a leman russ driven by a dude in power armour and armed with a bad attitude does definately have it's appeal... I'm not sure what your specific paint scheme is - post me a link to yours and then I can pretend that I'd come up with mine earlier if you want. :)

Chris
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 06:50:49 PM by ChrisCummins »

Offline Alexander's Son

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 09:34:13 AM »
 So... Chris... http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n154/htselepakis/Wolves%20of%20Tundra/ this is the URL for the folder in Photobucket! Enjoy...

Although some of the models, like the scout, would enjoy the long hair and the fangs! And howling to the full moon..

Offline ChrisCummins

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 05:43:07 PM »
That's a really nice space wolves army! I especially like the use of gold on the razorback, and the similarities between the paint schemes practically borders on plagurism - great minds think alike eh?  :D ::)

I've recently become interested in the traditional arts and it has affected the way I look at mini painting - in response, I'm going to try painting with more respect towards lighting and shading - particularly the use of greens and blues. Started work on force commander's head:

Chaos black basecoat. Dark angels green shading, beastial brown flesh tone:

Dwarf flesh:

Sunburst yellow:

Elf flesh:

Still WIP...

Chris

Offline ChrisCummins

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2008, 04:43:11 PM »
Head and details completed:

I decided not to go overboard on the eye lens, keeping a simple clear glass look.

Torso progess:

Chaos black basecoat and beastial brown shading.

Graveyard earth.

Instead of using a metalic colour and lots of ink washes, I decided to experiment and try to recreate the look of an old weathered wrought iron symbol by instead using a combination of chaos black, dark angels green, beastial brown and fortress grey/skull white highlighting. Bleached bone on the armour, more beastial brown on the ropes.

Skull white detail on emblem followed by light brown and green oil washes.

BTW, what does artificer armour look like?
Chris

Offline ChrisCummins

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2008, 04:45:10 PM »
The result of a few bored minutes on photoshop lol

Chris

Offline ChrisCummins

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2008, 07:29:48 AM »
More work on the force commander.

Chris

Offline Alexander's Son

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 04:59:46 AM »
 The finished head is much better than the PIP photos... especially the stage with the Sunburst Yellow... I like the shading effecto on the cape...

And Chris thanks for the kind words on my SW army...

Offline ChrisCummins

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 10:20:46 AM »
Thanks. :) Rhino work:

Sorry, no work on the force commander. Am working on a new marine, larger scenic 40mm base. New dry-brushing methods, similar to that on force commander. I've shifted the reliance off of oil washes now.

It's interesting that using such close up macro work brings out the detail of every brush stroke. Makes everything look a little messier.

Chris