News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Regengade Space Marine Elites unite with Tau Army?  (Read 883 times)

Offline Alan McFarlane

Regengade Space Marine Elites unite with Tau Army?
« on: November 24, 2006, 04:18:01 AM »
Purists will probably shoot me to hell for this but I thought I would air an idea I was discussing  with my nephew.

The army I am going to go with is Tyranid and my nephew is going to play Tau.

He asked if he could use the Macragge marines as a conversion to elite group of renegade marines that have joined forces with the Tau.

We just don't want to have those models go to waste and it would be cool if anyone has any imput as to what rules set we should use Tau/Space Marine when dealing with them.

I'd be open to some penalties for their use especially with regard to the Tau's army view of this unit? It could be both good and bad?? He had a view of them being a tactical unit under the command of the Tau forces,  wearing Tau colors, for  honor ...for the greater good  etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 04:23:09 AM by Alan McFarlane »

Offline LoGrei

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Regengade Space Marine Elites unite with Tau Army?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 04:39:03 AM »
Their characteristics would still remain, perhaps just no heavy weapons. You;d probably need to check the SM codex to see what other upgrades they wouldn't have. I'd say the only heavy weapon option they could have would be the missile launcher and say only 1 per team. I believe the McCragge set does have one marine with a launcher

As they are renegades it would mean lack in resources but surely not lacking in their skills like ballistics and weapons skill

Try running it like an o'shovah list. After all they are renegades and running an O'shovah similar list would seem reasonable.

Offline Spider-King

• Formely known as Scorpion-King
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 11:46:23 AM »
Hmm, if you wanted to convert them to having pulse rifles/carbines, you might want to increase their points.
Personally, an entire squad of marines with tau guns, i would say around 20 points.

Pretty cool idea. Their stats would not change at all i think, if anything their BS would get better, but their points would be even higher.

would be fun in friendly games i reckon.
SeerLuminati
I modeled up an old wraithlord to have a shouldermounted BrightLance, and a crotch mounted EML.
Farceseer Siranaul
Gives a new meaning to the phrase crotch rocket.
Redlion
Gives a new meaning to wraithbone as well, lmao.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 01:08:56 PM »
Yeah sure why not. Of course, said Marines would cost 30 points per model, but by all means, knock yourselves out. Literally. With like, balsa wood or something
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 01:13:13 PM »
Using Marines in a Tau list is somewhat irregular in the same manner as an old folks home thats run out of prune juice. While there's nothing to stop you doing so for friendly games it's still just not a good idea. Equipping the Marines with Tau weapons is also not even close to a good idea.

Using Marines with the Tau will mean you don't get a good feel for either army and perhaps a very misguided sense of them instead.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline wper34

• Echo! Echo! Echo! Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • What? ~nyo
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 02:36:47 PM »
IMHO, I don't think it would be such a good idea either...

Using 2 forces (Tau & Space Marines) together as in 2 separate FOC sounds reasonable enough for gaming. But to go further with mixing 2 totally different armies with their stats & weaponry... Please no, that could ruin the balance of WAR 40K game.

But of course, that cannot stop you from doing it in a friendly game. But again, I just don't think it will really work.

Sentinel Commander of 34th Neros Regiment
My Army Principle: 1. Quantity 2. Quality 3. Variety
Anime Mecha Vocaloid (And Neko) Lover ~nyo

Hymirl... I think you'd better start eating reading the rulebook. :P

Offline chaos0xomega

• Hilary Clinton FTW!
  • Fabricator-General of being banned.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 12:31:35 PM »
Have you considered telling him to convert them into stealth suits? just stick burst cannons on them, and it's all good.
BANNED!
This user has been banned for regular breaches of Forum rules.

Offline Alan McFarlane

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 07:12:53 PM »
Not sure what we'll do as yet.

I originally said to him that if he was going to use that unit he would have to play them as space marines under tau colors and command.

It we be good to give them access to some of the Tau weapons thats why I was ask for some imput as to a penalty of some kind for being able to use a unit like this.

The point cost was a pretty good idea...

Any other alternatives?