News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: magnatizing units  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Soul_Flayer

magnatizing units
« on: July 1, 2008, 09:58:20 PM »
I have a friend who plays Tau, and his HQ and his XV8 battlesuits all have magnets for the weapons.  This allows him to change up the weapon builds and learn what combvos work best.  He started out with a combination squad, but now runs a TL missle pod.  He changes the build when he plays against my other friend who uses necrons.

This got me thinking, would it be possible to magnitize Carnifex arms?  There is not much room, so powerful magnets would have to be used.  Then part of the arms would have to be cut off so that the weapons would be flush with the modle.  I am buying a carnifex soon so was wondering if it was worth it to even try.  I want to try out different builds: TLVenom Cannon, TLBarbed Strangler, TLDaka, Sniper.  I have been running a scything + venom cannon carnifex, but I know thats not the right thing to do.
"Row Row Row Your Punt,
 Gently Down the Stream.
 Belts Off,
 Trousers Down,
 Isn't Life a Scream!
 WOOF!!!"

Blackadder Goes Fourth

Offline ZethEphdel

Re: magnatizing units
« Reply #1 on: July 1, 2008, 10:41:19 PM »
I personally haven't magnetized anything as a relatively new warhammer player but do know that it is a common thing to do. I think it would be great thing to do to allow more versatility in playing while following the rules about parts being displayed accurately. Most of the time if I'm running something displayed though I just tell my opponent what it actually is equipped with and it ends up being ok.
But it is always aggravating to think that I should have equipped my warriors or carnifex with such and such part instead.
Tyranids are one of the most adaptable armies in 40k, so it probably makes the most sense to magnetize what is necessary. I say go for it!

Offline Lucky_Jackal

• I feel akword
  • "What can I say? It's not my cup of tea."
« Reply #2 on: July 1, 2008, 10:56:40 PM »
For a fex. I take advantage in the fact the thing is hallow and plastic when magnetizing it. o.o

I shudder to think the work needed to magnetize a hive tyrant thow.
;-;

Offline coredump

« Reply #3 on: July 1, 2008, 11:05:38 PM »
It is a great idea, do a search on some forums for a tutorial.
In the past the sun moved around the Earth.
This is fifth edition! You are wrong, your opponent is right.
-Finoro
Glancing hits suck my face off now
-YuenglingDragon
RAI is used by people who want rules to mean what they want it to instead of what it says in the book.
RAW is used by people who want rules to mean what they want it to instead of what it says in the book.
-Hymirl

Offline CrimsonTurkey

• Armies: Tyranids, Eldar, Grey Knights
« Reply #4 on: July 1, 2008, 11:38:26 PM »
There are tutorials floating around so those should be ample help.

I know a guy who magnetized every single part of his fexes though. Even down to the little buggers like toxin sacs. Rediculous, but kinda fun.
Fac et Spera

Offline Soul_Flayer

« Reply #5 on: July 1, 2008, 11:54:13 PM »
http://kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZD1

I was looking at some sites and I was wondering if this would do the trick.  The shipping is 7 somthing for US. 
"Row Row Row Your Punt,
 Gently Down the Stream.
 Belts Off,
 Trousers Down,
 Isn't Life a Scream!
 WOOF!!!"

Blackadder Goes Fourth

Offline mrtspence; Formerly Overkill1

• To kill, or not to kill, that is the question...
« Reply #6 on: July 2, 2008, 12:23:11 AM »
I have a friend who always magnetizes his vehicles like predators and hammerheads so that he can switch them to rhinos and devilfish as he needs them (btw he recently got enough parts for 5 crisis suits at the bits table in canada's games day. He has put em together and magnetized the weapons).
-"Damn Those Laser Cats..."

Offline weenog42

« Reply #7 on: July 2, 2008, 02:59:46 PM »
Those magnets would work fine, it's all a matter of what size you get.  I'm afraid I don't remember what sizes I used myself...

I magnetized my Fex, as well as Warriors.  The fex's legs are separate from the torso for transport, the head can be swapped out for Enhanced Senses, the back plate can be switched although I never do, and of course the arms for various weapon configs.  It was not difficult to do, just make sure you put the magnets facing the right direction, and let the glue on each one dry before you do the next.

The warriors were more difficult because the magnets I used were much smaller, although plenty powerful.  When they're so small they liked to rotate as I placed them in the holes I had drilled.  My warriors have interchangeable heads for Enhanced Senses, and the weapon slots.  Contemplating adding Extended Carapace options before I paint.

Magnetizing does add a fair amount of work, but if you want interchangeable parts it's the way to go.  The downside is that you can't make as dynamic poses as you might like.

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #8 on: July 2, 2008, 07:53:41 PM »
You'll have to dril more with nids than Tau; my suits went together pretty quick. I didn't even bother drilling the suits though, why bother they still look like suits of power armour.

Of course thinking about drilling the bits of a fex and the four hundred magnets I'll need have made me wait on working on my nids for now.
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline Deldracm

« Reply #9 on: July 5, 2008, 08:44:41 AM »
I have done some experimenting with my nids and mags.  So far I have magged all my warriors and my tyrant (which was pretty tuff, it was the 3rd ed. and all metal, but it works).  I will try to find out what size mag I used.  But I did buy from K&J, the link above.  Then just drilled a little indent into the arm sockets and then into the arms themselves.  The hardest part was trying to get the correct side into the hole I drilled.  I think some of them are in the wrong way because the don't stick to the middle of each magnet, but to the side.  But for the most part it still works.  It allows me to switch the weapons on my warriors to shooty or cc.   I have the older fex models and hope to upgrade them to the newer plastic ones and I plan on magging everything I can to it.  Should be pretty cool.  Anyways, hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

BTW, I have been reading the Nid posts for a long time now and finally decided to register.  So, Hi to everyone and thanks for all the good info.  I play a pretty well rounded list and have learned a lot from you guys.  Anyways, if I get a chance I will try to post some pics of my magnets to help show what I have done. 

Offline u9k13

• This is u9k13, as if you couldn't tell.
« Reply #10 on: July 5, 2008, 08:49:54 AM »
There are tutorials floating around so those should be ample help.

I know a guy who magnetized every single part of his fexes though. Even down to the little buggers like toxin sacs. Rediculous, but kinda fun.

I have done that. Every single biomorph on the spruce. Even done it on the gaunts and warriors.

Used really small magnets (1mm across by 1mm deep) for the small bits and largerones for the arms and weapons and such. Does not take all that long with a dremmel (or other rotary tool), just make the magnets flush with the surface so they don't look out of place.

« Reply #11 on: July 6, 2008, 12:31:13 AM »
I have done that. Every single biomorph on the spruce.

Spruce is a type of evergreen tree, a sprue is the plastic frame that holds your model's parts (sorry, but that is like my biggest pet peve EVER). Also, congrats, that is one dynamic fex and it must have taken you an eon to paint all those limbs!

Offline u9k13

• This is u9k13, as if you couldn't tell.
« Reply #12 on: July 6, 2008, 07:47:50 AM »
yeah, but nids are quite easy to paint I find. You can get away with a relatively quick wetbrush/drybrush technique for the flesh and then paint the armour plates up with a streak highlight technique. Looks good and organic but is also quite quick and forgiving of mistakes.

But you really need a rotary tool to embed all those magnets. I started without one, and it took ages, now I have one I can't believe how I got by without it.

« Reply #13 on: July 6, 2008, 11:30:59 PM »
You must have an easy scheme, it takes me about an hour to paint a gaunt (which means I have 130 hours of work ahead of me  :'(, took me 14 hours to paint my flyrant. And yes, a good dremel or pin vice can go a long way to digging wholes.