News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Age of Sigmar Brief Battle Reports  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Age of Sigmar Brief Battle Reports
« on: August 29, 2015, 03:11:09 PM »
So, I've been playing a lot of age of sigmar recently, so here are a quick recap of some of my latest games.

We play with the following composition rules

80 wound hard cap
6-8 war scrolls
No duplicate war scrolls (except with formations)
1-3 heroes
0-2 monsters

I have been playing undead, with my units all from tomb king war scrolls

We've been playing scenarios out of the Age of Sigmar book, as they are a lot of fun.

Game 1, Breakthrough

The forces of order had invaded the realms of death. A realm gate had been captured and if it remained in the enemies hand for too long, they will use it to bring in reinforcements and quickly escalate the war. However, an ogre vanguard force blocked the route to the realm gate. In order to take it back, the undead had to break through the ogre lines and reinforce their other forces en route.

Undead Vs Ogres

Mission was that I had to get my models off my opponents table edge. If I got 1/3 of my army off the table, I got a major victory, 1/4 a minor victory. If I got less, my opponent got a minor victory and if I got no models off the table he got a major victory.

I deployed within 6" of my long table edge. My opponent could deploy up to 24" up, but he rolled for each unit. 1-2 deployed in the left table side, 3-4 middle and 5-6 right. After deploying, he had his tyrant alone on my left side, with his thunder tusk, ogres, iron guts, lead belchers and butcher on my right. Nothing in the middle. I had my warriors on the left, casket, tomb guard and archers in the middle and necrospynx, tomb king on chariot and chariots on the right. I needed 15 models to get a major victory.

My plan was to get either the archers or the warriors off the table. Both units had enough models to get me a major victory, so I just needed to kill the tyrant and keep everything else busy.

Warriors, casket, archers and tomb guard began moving up and to the left. Necrosphynx flew up the middle while the chariots and king went up the right flank. The thunder tusk shot an ice blast at my king, doing six mortal wounds in one go, which was pretty scary. His gorger unit arrived on my left flank as well. More and more of my units got brought into the stalling melee on the right flank and progressively more middle, with my king and chariots being the first to fall. The iron guts were an unstoppable killing machine, but I held them up briefly with my tomb guard as they were in cover. The Necrosphinx took down the gorgers and the tyrant, but not before the tyrant killed all the skeleton warriors.

Game ended, with my wounded necrosphynx holding up the thunder tusk and iron guts, while my archers regenerated and ran for their dear (Undead) lives. I ended up getting 17 of them off the table, just as the Necrosphinx fell. Resulting in a major victory (only just!)

Game 2 Surprise Assault

The Storm cast eternal strike force had captured a realm gate in the realms of death. However, before they could fortify their position, the legions of the undead arrived to oust them.  The death rattle legions need to destroy the interlopers, before they can bring in reinforcements through the gate and fortify their position.

Deployment was alternate units deployed per player. He could deploy up to 12" from the middle of the table, but I had to roll for each of my units, 1-2, they deployed 12" away from the middle line, 3-4, 18" and 5-6 24". He could also bring one slain unit back onto the table from his short table edge once per game, as reinforcements from the realm gate.

The game started off slowly, with both of our forces moving forwards slowly. I was able to summon a unit of skeleton warriors with my liche priest, while my casket of souls killed a few models in a variety of units over the course of the game. I had two good early wins, where my necrospynix butchered a unit of liberators (-3 rend with 3 damage on his scything blades is amazing!) while my tomb guard finished off a unit of prosecutors after being weakened by arrow fire. His other large block of Liberators was held up by my warrior block and chariots. I had a lucky roll with my casket and took three wounds off his General, while my necosphynx took out the last unit which could really kill it, the retributors.

Game ended with the undead killing the defending force, and re-capturing the realm gate. The realms of Death remained safe...for now.

I think I've played about five or six games of Age of Sigma so far with my tomb kings, and I'm really enjoying it so far. The Scenarios from the big book defiantly make a big difference, as we've not played a standard game since I bought it. The missions add cool new Command Traits, deployment styles and win conditions which is really neat.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Age of Sigmar Brief Battle Reports
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 04:19:42 PM »
Nice. Glad you're enjoying the game and the Big Book. I was worried about that one.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 04:44:47 PM »
So Age Of Sigmar is pretty good then?  I'm glad to hear that.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 03:52:52 AM »
The pictures make Age of Sigmar look more impressive than I was expecting.  That may be because of your painting skills and the terrain though, rather than the rules.  Still, I like the fact that it's possible to play without having to field infantry blocks of 40+ models to have a chance of winning.  That, to me, seems like an improvement.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 07:35:33 AM »
Nice. Glad you're enjoying the game and the Big Book. I was worried about that one.

The book is definitely worthwhile for age of sigmar, not necessary, but the scenarios help make balanced games. Sort of tough to run your army off the board, when you have mostly warmachines for example.

We had to first agree on a comp system to play the game. Wounds are an imperfect substitute for wounds, but it roughly does a good job. Keeping under 100 wounds also keeps the games a bit more manageable in size. The game plays fairly quickly in the ones we've been playing. Some scenarios only last 4-6 turns, so we can finish games in an hour and a half to two hours.

The pictures make Age of Sigmar look more impressive than I was expecting.  That may be because of your painting skills and the terrain though, rather than the rules.  Still, I like the fact that it's possible to play without having to field infantry blocks of 40+ models to have a chance of winning.  That, to me, seems like an improvement.

There is not much of a need for large blocks of models, except to hold people in combat and soak up battleshock, super unwieldy though. I think capping at 25 is good, limits one unit taking up the whole table, but you can still get the numbers benefit most 'core unit' type warscrolls have. Zombies for example suck in 10 man squads, but a 30+ block will chew through everything with their modifiers.

When I play more games, I'll try to keep track of them.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria