News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Deepkin Questions  (Read 961 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Deepkin Questions
« on: July 18, 2018, 12:36:33 AM »
So our group is dipping our toes into AoS as the rules are sounding rather solid at this point.

I'm looking to kick things off by building up a Namarti Corps as its made up of useful core units any way.

So starting to plan on how to expand from that and a Leviadon has come up at a rather cheap price, are these any good on the table? On that, is the akhelian corps worth aiming for or am I better off building up other things for the points?

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Deepkin Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 10:00:41 AM »
Before I answer your question, Mage, just know that I've yet to actually play a game with the Idoneth. But I have read through the rules a couple of times, so I can provide some insight I think. I think what battalion you go with depends on your enclave. For me personally, I like to choose one battalion and build my army around that battalion. I think you can probably work with two battalions, like the Namarti and Akhelian Corps, but the Idoneth units aren't the cheapest, so it can be a bit of a task to make it all work. Just depends how much of certain units you want to bring.

I like the Mor'Phann enclave, which buffs the Soulrender's lurelight ability, as does the namarti corps special rule. I can bring back up to six(?) namarti from a unit every hero phase. So I decided to roll with two maxed out groups of thralls and two units of 10 Reavers to fill out a good chuck of the army. While I have grown to like the akhelian corps, I think that it is probably better with certain enclaves. Fuethan can make excellent use of an Akhelian Corps and buffs your Akhelians pretty substantially I think.

As for the Leviadon, the points have increased since General's Handbook. If you can fit an Eidolon, Aspect of the Sea in your army, then you can definitely fit a Leviadon in there for the same points cost. I think the Leviadons are good performers, but they do cost a pretty penny points wise. I haven't seen anyone whose taken a Leviadon ever say that they don't perform well or outright bad.

I eventually want one of these bad boys myself ;D, but I think I want the Eidolon first.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 09:30:24 PM »
Thanks Myental. Yeah I'm looking at running Mor'Phann for the same reason. Did  a FAQ or something change lurelight to the Hero phase? in the book its meant to happen in the battleshock phase.

Number crunching suggests the Levidon is better value point wise than the Storm Eidolon for outright damage.  The sea version is trickier to compare thanks to the spells.

I'm kind of thinking a Namarti corps, 6 eels and Volturnos as a base, then the Levidon or 2 more units of Namarti and an additional soulrender, both option kick are around 1700 points.

so improved saves from cover with 6 namarti returned or extra bodies with an average off 11 namarti returned a round.

EDIT: The 2018 General's Handbook has it at the same point cost as the core book.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:48:32 PM by magenb »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 10:31:56 PM »
Thanks Myental. Yeah I'm looking at running Mor'Phann for the same reason. Did  a FAQ or something change lurelight to the Hero phase? in the book its meant to happen in the battleshock phase.

No, it's the battleshock phase still, a mistake on my part :).

Number crunching suggests the Levidon is better value point wise than the Storm Eidolon for outright damage.  The sea version is trickier to compare thanks to the spells.

I wouldn't doubt it, the Storm Eidolon is a decent option, but you are correct, I don't think it can match the Leviadon for damage output for the price. I did think about taking using some Isharan to buff him, but I don't think the buffs really do too much to be honest.

I'm kind of thinking a Namarti corps, 6 eels and Volturnos as a base, then the Levidon or 2 more units of Namarti and an additional soulrender, both option kick are around 1700 points.

That sounds like a solid list, Mage, I actually kind of want to bring a Leviadon now... not sure though ;D. It is quite a beast. Right now I'm thinking like a Soulrender and tidecaster, 2 units of 20 Thralls, 2 units of 10 Reavers, 6 Morsarr Guard, and 6 Ishlean Guard... something like that, but I might try to add in that War turtle.

The 2018 General's Handbook has it at the same point cost as the core book.
Huh... I could have sworn the points for the Leviadon had gone up to 440... might have been an error in the Azyr Software. Well good to know!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 01:47:07 AM »
That sounds like a solid list, Mage, I actually kind of want to bring a Leviadon now... not sure though ;D. It is quite a beast. Right now I'm thinking like a Soulrender and tidecaster, 2 units of 20 Thralls, 2 units of 10 Reavers, 6 Morsarr Guard, and 6 Ishlean Guard... something like that, but I might try to add in that War turtle.

Not sure if it is just a battlescribe thing but not being able to pay for individual models in a unit is frustrating lol. 10 thralls are not enough, but 20 looks unwieldly, would certainly be difficult to find cover for that many.

I get the feeling I'm going to need a wizard to try and deny some casting, plus Arcane Corrasion and Vorpal Maelstrom sound handy.

What did you think of the Isharann Rituals? Given how much you need to invest to pull them off even semi-reliably they don't feel worth the investment to me.

I've been listening to some podcasts trying to get a handle on the game and, yeah seems Azyr has some problems.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 07:41:37 AM »
You're using battlescribe to make AoS lists? Dude, use the Offical Warscroll builder. It's a far easier tool to use! Warscroll Builder - Warhammer Community

And yeah, in AoS, you don't buy individual models. Usually, units are bought in multiples of what comes in their box. But, the melee thralls get a nice points discount if you take a full size.

The rituals, I find probably wont be something you're always trying to do, as they are very situational. Against some armies, like Nighthaunts (where the whole army flies), you'll want to be grounding them every turn. Otherwise, They are okay.

For army building, there is nothing bad in the list. But, I wouldn't take both a Levidon and Eidolon, as they are very expensive, and you don't want to spend so many points in just two models. AoS really needs units on the table.

Also, in the handbook 2018 missions, you'll want Artifacts and/or Wizards, so I'd try to make sure you have 2-3 heros which have either/both of those requirements or you might find it hard to score objectives (specifically in Places of Arcane Power).
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria