News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Triple battalion @2K for semi-competitive  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Triple battalion @2K for semi-competitive
« on: June 7, 2018, 04:02:19 PM »
OK, so I've made a list that I think have some punch to it, with a lot of versatility and plenty of tactical potential with 18CP, recycling and fate reading. I will try this list against all-comers to see if it works or not, I just need to add a few of the models to my collection.

Biel-Tan battalion (1034p)
Asurmen 175p
Spiritseer 65p -Spirit stone of anath'lan. [Quicken/restrain]
5x Dire Avengers 64p -Exarch, 2x catapults.
8x Storm Guardians 56p
5x Fire Dragons 123p -Exarch, Fire pike.
5x Howling Banshees 68p -Exarch with executioner.
3x Shining Spears 95p -Exarch with starlance.
2x Wave Serpent 324p -2x Brightlance, twin catapults, spirit stones.

Ulthwé battalion (635p)
Eldrad Ulthran 150p [Doom, Will of Asuryan, Executioner]
Autarch skyrunner (Warlord: Fate reader) 112p -Banshee mask, laser lance, avenger shuriken catapult, twin shuriken catapults.
10x Guardians 97p -Shuriken Cannon.
5x Dire Avengers 60p
Wave Serpent 152p -2x Brightlance, twin catapults.

Alaitoc
Battalion (330p)
Illic Nightspear 80p
Warlock Skyrunner 70p [Protect/Jinx]
5x Rangers 60p
5x Rangers 60p
5x Rangers 60p

1999p

The idea is to embark on the serpents like this:
Avengers + Banshees + Spiritseer
Avengers + Dragons + Asurmen
Avengers + Avengers + Eldrad

Asurmen, Eldrad & Spiritseer will embark depending on opposition, but this is the default layout.
Asurmen is not craftworld bound so can buff models from any craftworld.
The spiritseer can let the banshees move twice, and with the relic it will be as reliable as with a farseer casting it.
Eldrad can take on enemies the Avengers have trouble dealing with, which gives them a nice mix, dooming targets for shurikenfire is always nice, but is even more deadly with Biel-tan Avengers.

The Warlord will castle up between the serpents, granting them the ability to hit better with their brightlances, creating a nice symbiosis.

As for the Alaitoc detachment, they are all snipers, Illic ad the Autarch can appear anywhere, while the rangers are good objective campers and deepstrike denial, in addition hitting a little better with the Autarch nearby could net them some important characters, or simply finish off stragglers.
(If the shiftshroud is not allowed to be used to it's full potential with the new beta rules he can take foalchu's wing instead and embark on one of the serpents)

The stormies are a tax unit, but will be useful to block first turn charges against the shining spears. The defenders can OTOH be used for deepstriking as black guardians.

Changes I'm considering is to remove the Alaitoc Autarch in favor of a warlock to save points, but then I will be swapping detachments with Asurmen.

Thoughts?

Oh, I can embark Biel-tan units in Ulthwé serpents right?( or do I need to reshuffle them and lose some free spirit stones?)

Edit: Moved 2 serpents to biel-tan and swapped 5 avengers with the stormies.
Edit2: Decided to swap Asurmen and the footarch, and change relic, now that Autarch can hop out and shoot his reaper launcher while buffing the brightlances of the serpents, or simply have a threatening charge range, while denying overwatch.

Edit3: removed footarch for skylock, and swapped Asurmen to Biel-Tan. I also added default psychic powers.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:15:16 AM by Fenris »
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: Triple battalion @2K for semi-competitive
« Reply #1 on: June 7, 2018, 04:42:28 PM »
Biel-tan units can't embark inside Ulthwe transports. Carrying is limited to units from the same craftworld, with the exception of Phoenix Lords.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #2 on: June 7, 2018, 09:27:22 PM »
Alrighty then, I think the general plan still works, but now I feel like swapping the Alaitoc Autarch with Asurmen, to allow all brightlances to hit better, and Asurmen don't really care about which craftworld detachment he is in, even if Biel-tan might have been more fluffy.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 11:47:34 AM »
Hey Fenris. Keep in mind this is just my opinion, got so much there, just about everything in the dex. In my mind, it's kinda chaotic. You've got great ideas, but so many small units. Plus you have to remember rules for each craftworld, find cover all the time, worry about objective holding and all the while counting on a bucket load of CP's. Plus some games don't use objectives so small unit survivability not good especially when majority has low toughness.

I do applaud the creativity tho, will be fun for friendly games. It's more the way I play as well but getting destroyed all the time has taught me these lessons.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 07:50:59 AM »
Thanks dread I appreciate your opinion. It did become a bit chaotic with the last fixes to the list I agree, and yes it's definitely a MSU list, so killpoints will hurt it, but unless I go and buy the wraith-box, that's not going to change for eldar. I will try to make it less chaotic though. :)

I will only try to get the Rangers into cover, the other units is going to be on the move anyway, so cover will just be a random luxury.

Games without objectives will have to be played very aggressive as always with living eldar.
The CP's can be used to increase survivability or damage output, that's why I prefer the D6 damage rolls from lances and meltas over pulselasers and reaper launchers.
In general though, I think using a command re-roll on anything worse than a 2+ is a mistake, unless it can have a serious impact on the battle.

As for remembering the craftworld rules, I will use stickers to mark which craftworld each unit belongs to, I'm more worried about forgetting Exarch or Autarch rules. (I forgot my winged autarch had a banshee mask in one game, and he was one-shot'ed by a shuriken cannon in overwatch.) The fire dragons assured destruction, is also a rule I've forgotten on several occasions.
Maybe I can cram in the Alaitoc into the Biel-Tan detachment and fill it up to a brigade?

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 06:49:04 AM »
That's a fascinating list Fenris!

One thing I'd consider changing is to replace Illic Nightspear with a Warlock knowing Empower/Enervate. Asurmen buffed by the Empower becomes even much more of a killing machine in close combat.

Also, I'm afraid your points for Autarch are off. Following GW instructions strictly, we have to use the codex datasheet for a foot Autarch, and we can combine it with the list of Wargear options from the corresponding codex datasheet. Problem is, per the codex datasheet a foot Autarch always comes with a Starglaive, and, strictly speaking, the index wargear options only allow you to take a power sword, but they don't allow you to replace a starglaive with a power sword. See what I mean? It sure is a bit silly, but per RAW a foot Autarch is stuck with a glaive and there's no option to  remove it, so you have to pay for it. And you also have to pay extra for a Forceshield.
Assuming you drop a power sword and go with just the built-in glaive, an Autarch with a Reaper launcher clocks in at 99 pts.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 07:35:55 PM »
Thank you SeekingOne. :)
I'm not certain the star glaive and the forceshield are "wargear options" but they are wargear at the very least.

However since points are tight, I may just drop the footarch for a skylock, casting empower on Asurmen would be naughty (increasing MW's), but protect for a 1+/2++ save is almost as good and it comes with jinx which is more useful than enervate IMO. I think using prot/jinx vs shooty armies and empower/enervate against meleeoriented armies is a solid way.

When considering psychic powers the spiritseer will have quicken/rest, and Eldrad will have WoA to warm up, then doom naturally with all the shuriken from biel-tan, then I'm undecided between executioner and mind war, but since there is no LD hexes I think executioner is the way to go.
(Guide don't stack well with the Biel-tan trait and fortune doesn't stack well with Ulthwé)

With a skylock for 70p I can afford stones for the Biel-tan serpents, or maybe give all 3 CTM's?

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 02:38:11 AM »
I tried CTMs a few times and decided not to bother with them. Especially when you're firing lances, your target of choice is so unlikely to be the closest that it almost never happens. It theory, now this can change slightly if we start seeing more Knight armies... but I'd still go for SStones by default.

Executioner is absolutely the way to go, Mind War is way too unreliable.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus