News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63267 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2017, 08:59:46 AM »
Those Storm Guardians are so incredibly dynamic.  They already look superb and they haven't even been painted yet.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2017, 05:39:36 AM »
Thanks guys!

I was actually trying to emulate some of the poses on your Stormies Cav! ;) thats where i got the inspiration from :)

Haha i'll paint something soon i promise ;) i've got my Corsair Voidstorms halfway done so they're next :)

Post Merge: February 26, 2017, 07:35:33 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Now, I know I promised to paint something next, but sometimes you get an idea that is just too awesome to let wait...

I've thought for a while that since I made Thaegr the horned Son of Kurnous dude that my winged Autarch was looking a little...I don't know...unadventurou s...

Then, sifting through bits while looking for something else I came across two unused Tree Revenant arms and I had a bit of a lightbulb moment. 2 hours of modelling later and behold!

Absolutely chuffed to bits with how this one's turned out! :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 07:35:33 PM by Ynneadwraith »
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2017, 05:36:01 PM »
And done!

Myrdolaith, Hawk-Friend, Stormbringer, Daughter of Faolchu. Prince of the Selestini of the Sandspires
The great hawk pierced the vale between the webway and soared out over alien skies. She felt the rush of thermals rising from the industry below beating at her feathers, and watched from on high as the humans scurried about their business far below. Vermin, she thought, infesting their ancient lands.

She perched on an outcrop, wraithbone talons finding tenuous purchase on the mountainous rock, and stared down intently at the settlement below. She spied the bright heraldic trim of the Knight World the vermin called Salazar's Rest. Their warriors were on guard at this early stage of colonisation, and clustered around a hulking mechanical creature that was belching vast exhaust plumes into the atmosphere.

They would take a great deal of effort to dislodge from this world. She would have to return with many warhawks to drive them back. For now, she would have to content herself with picking off a straggler to bring back to her clan as evidence of the trespass. Selecting a suitable quarry, she let out a keening cry and plummeted from her outcrop, eyes fixed on her unwitting prey.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2017, 09:40:46 PM »
daaaaaaaaaaanng nice job.
I was thinking of the tree rev's for some sort of early version of wraith constructs, never thought about trying to merge parts like that.

The middle storm guardian is a sweet pose too.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2017, 02:34:17 AM »
Really good job here Ynnead, your natural Palette really suits the model well and the usage of the claws and Dark eldar bits really gives the model a menacing look. Love it!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2017, 05:42:29 AM »
Thanks guys!

Yeah Tree Revenants (and Kurnoth Hunters) work really nicely for early Wraith units :) the Hunters in particular are comparable size-wise with Wraithguard. Here's an awesome kitbash/conversion I've seen with WG and Hunters that I really must steal at some point! :)

The middle Storm Guardian's my favourite too ;)

Thanks Auric :) yeah I'm really pleased with just how angry she looks ;) would not want to get on her bad side...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2017, 07:03:50 AM »
Wow... killer work as always Ynnead. That winged Autarch is KILLER! Wow... love those feet... the modelling is great and so is the paint job. Love it!

The Wraithguard is look sweet too... it doesn't feel tree-ish so much as it feels like a crazy wild Wraithbone construct. Love it!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2017, 07:51:04 AM »
That Winged Autarch is mind-bogglingly cool. Everything seems to fit together so seemlessly, there really is a bestial, wild feel to the model. The paint job is really complementary too, with your usual use of Earth tones suiting this model's theme so well.

A really excellent model Ynnead, definitely some of your best work so far!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2017, 08:18:46 AM »
Thanks Cav!

Yeah that Wraithguard is awesome :) slightly gutted I didn't come up with the idea first! ;) it's absolutely something I'll be flagrantly stealing as soon as I get the money to buy 2 boxes of Kurnoth Hunters and a box of Wraithguard (a long time away!).

Reminds me of this little meme I thought was quite fitting:

Thanks too Loosh! I'm glad you like her :) she's definitely the one I'm most proud of so far.

Thinking about it, one sort of theme I could go down is to make each animalistic character reminiscent of a particular animal. Thaegr the horned dude is very stag-like, and Myrdolaith is bird-like. I wonder if I can find some bits to make something lion-like. Big brawny exodite with a mane of hair or somesuch. I've got a cloak or two from the high Elf White Lions that might work nicely :)

Ooh, and something reptilian if I can find a source for Dark Elf Corsair cloaks!

Oh, and last thing :) it was payday yesterday so I've ordered the Triumvirate*!

*plus a couple of extra bits and pieces because apparently I'm incapable of just leaving a model be...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2017, 03:18:01 PM »
Ooh, and something reptilian if I can find a source for Dark Elf Corsair cloaks!

Oh, and last thing :) it was payday yesterday so I've ordered the Triumvirate*!

*plus a couple of extra bits and pieces because apparently I'm incapable of just leaving a model be...

bits and kits is where I found my set of corsair cloaks and looks like it would be fairly local for you too.

Triumvirate is frustrating, the ethereal swirl has very, very thin connections where glue is meant to hold it together, also the from bottom swirl that connects to the wraithbone, doesn't line up correctly.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2017, 03:47:07 PM »
Thanks for the tips dude :) I've checked on my usual bits sites but Corsair cloaks are gold dust.

Luckily I've managed to cannibalise one of my older not so great conversions which had a cloak so it's on the cutting room floor now :)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #151 on: March 1, 2017, 10:48:56 AM »
Wow Ynneadwraith your Myrdolaith conversion has go to be one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Your imagination and the way you seem to have a knack for choosing the right bits has come together in a model that is pure rage. Bloody brilliant. The little fluff item also helps flesh out the model to make it even more awesome.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #152 on: March 1, 2017, 06:14:53 PM »
Thanks a ton dude! Really glad you like her :)

Glad you like the fluff too :) I'm really enjoying coming up with it :) I must admit that's probably the thing that 40k has above all the other fantasy/scifi IPs I've come across: a sense that you yourself are actively encouraged to add to the background and lore, and that what you come up with is specifically stated as being every bit as valid as the stuff that's written in the codices :) that, and you can physically make something that represents the stuff you come up with :) it's a real stroke of genius!

Speaking of fluff, I came up with a little something for Lhorizar my Void Dreamer, inspired slightly by the background to the Aethermancy Corsair psychic discipline, and how it draws its power from the webway rather than the warp.

You see, the Void Dreamer explained, his wings curling round him as he held his meditative position, the webway itself has a pulse and a power all of its own. The Craftworlders don't feel it. They spend far too long gazing into the dreaming future to notice the subtle fluctuations in the fabric of the present. My Commorite kin could likely feel it, if they didn't persecute any throwbacks such as myself who show an ounce of psychic potential.

Urgebelach, the Harlequins call it. The study of how you can change the webway, and how it changes you in return. Its very fabric permeates both the warp and the material universe, and with skill can act as a conduit between them. The webway has changed the fibres of my mind, and I have learnt its heartbeat. I call out to it, and its voice flows through me.

Wheeling that out provided the motivation to go back and fix the slightly dodgy starscape I had on the Void Dreamer's helmet. Much better in just jet black :)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #153 on: March 2, 2017, 06:12:48 AM »
Gotta agree on looking better in gloss black there, all of the ones I've done for my Eldar have been just a plain gloss black, I feel it really helps with a kinda emotionless feeling to it. Something mysterious about it!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #154 on: March 2, 2017, 06:41:29 AM »
Thanks dude :)

Yeah it's worked really nicely, and fits well with the 'Void Dreamer' name too.

Plus, the gloss means that the highlighting's done for you if you just stick it under a lamp ;)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #155 on: March 2, 2017, 06:51:41 AM »
Yeah I love the look of the pure black gloss. It looks cool in white too... but its tricky to keep it looking ultra smooth. Killer work as always bud
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #156 on: March 2, 2017, 07:01:24 AM »
Thanks man :) yeah part of the reason I haven't used much white is the pot I have is lumpy as anything :S the Harlies get away with it because they're pretty much entirely drybrushed so it works in my favour ;)

I wonder what gloss over white looks like? I must do a bit of experimenting with gloss coats actually. I've used them for glassy blacks, and to make the red tongues of my dragons look a little wet, but I bet there are more neat uses :)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #157 on: March 2, 2017, 09:08:06 AM »
That gloss black mask looks helluva cool. Really suits the dark nature of the model.

I only tend to use gloss varnish on things like soul stones and the like. I haven't even thought about using it on a white surface, but it could look like porcelain or highly polished marble. That might work quite well.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #158 on: March 2, 2017, 10:02:25 AM »
Thanks dude!

Ooh yeah gloss over a slightly off white with tan-ish marbling effects would look awesome! Now I just need something to test just how ill-equipped I am at painting something like that ;)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #159 on: March 4, 2017, 10:51:10 AM »
Latest bit of stuff that's not painting :S

Was inspired by this frankly awesome Sylandri Veilwalker (with Mask of Secrets!) made from the Silver Tower Mistweaver by a chap called Rollingawaythestone over on Dakka:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2017/3/2/860990_md-.JPG
He's got some really sweet Harlies called the Ghosts of the Webway here: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/702696.page

I informed him that I liked it so much I'd be stealing the idea! He was flattered, so here we go:

To be perfectly honest I think Rolling's one's better, the lack of hair makes it look a little more alien and his mask is more recognisably Harlequin, but I quite like mine and had to change it up slightly ;)

Edit: Changed the mask for a Harlie one and it's definitely better :)

« Last Edit: March 4, 2017, 03:34:08 PM by Ynneadwraith »