News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Removing Paint.  (Read 57914 times)

Offline Iridescente

• Sognando sotto l'arcobaleno
Re: Removing Paint.
« Reply #340 on: November 11, 2010, 01:35:38 PM »
We actually have left stuff in the dip for over two or three weeks.  The plastic Squat just came out of his bath a couple of nights ago none the worse for wear.

So if the simple green isn't working, Lord Ulthanash, I'd recommend Dettol.  Although by the sound of things SG works for most people, so maybe your problem isn't the fact that you're using SG on plastic... it might have more to do with what type of paint those models were originally painted with.

Were they painted with acrylics or oil-based enamels (like Testors paint?)  Not sure if SG treats all paints the same way, but some of our older models were painted with Testors, and Dettol hasn't had any problems with those yet.
Just playing along,
Bourhgen

Offline Unlimited

• "Yeah, that's just a sideways 8."
« Reply #341 on: July 21, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »
I have new knowledge to contribute to the hivemind.

For stripping acrylic paint off metal models in SECONDS I use methylene chloride.

CAUTION/WARNING/DANGER/PELIGRO: Methylene chloride is THE most toxic material suggested in this thread so far. The use of methylene chloride should only be undertaken with proper respiratory, eye, hand, and skin protection. Make sure the material does not come in contact with your bare skin. Ever. (It's carcinogenic, folks)

Anyway, they used to sell the stuff as "acrylic cement," for gluing big blocks of solid acrylic together. A guy I knew that used to own a game store suggested it, and after a few DROPS I could see bare metal. It works really quick! You'll have to use a metal or glass container to hold your subject since, like acetone, the chemical eats through plastic cups (I haven't tried paper, actually. Huh). You really don't need much, either. Because, you know. It's terrible for the environment and stuff.

[gmod]New info, it can stay[/gmod]
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:12:52 PM by Barr'el O'Rum »

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #342 on: July 22, 2011, 07:45:13 AM »
Although I appreciate the suggestion of the  methylene chloride; I honestly would stick to the safer products even if they take a little bit of time and effort.

Keep the planet Green, and your appendages intact along with your lungs.

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline naaki1201

« Reply #343 on: July 24, 2011, 01:26:33 PM »
I used Detol worked pretty well, except paint was still stuck in the detail.
Does that happen when you use brake fluid??

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #344 on: July 24, 2011, 02:07:35 PM »

Yes it does.

I even left models soaking in break fluid for 4 months (forgot about them  ::) ) and still there was paint in the detail.

Though it does peel of when you use a wooden toothpick to scrape it of (so you won't damage the detail)

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Marlec

• "The Post Reader"
« Reply #345 on: July 25, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »

Yes it does.

I even left models soaking in break fluid for 4 months (forgot about them  ::) ) and still there was paint in the detail.

Though it does peel of when you use a wooden toothpick to scrape it of (so you won't damage the detail)

use an old tooth brush that has firm bristles, since the paint is soften up, it will work well in the details... the toothpick is the final stage of the clean up...

Mart

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #346 on: July 26, 2011, 05:36:35 AM »
[mod]Methylene Chloride was NEW information so allowed to stay - dettol and a toothbrush is old news and previously mentioned in this 18 page mammoth thread[/mod]
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #347 on: July 29, 2011, 02:51:58 PM »
Next time I go to strip a model, I think I may try to use my ultrasonic cleaner.  Just put the simple green and models in after they soak for a day and hopefully it will come out of the crevaces.  I know it's great for cleanign old paint bottles and airbrush parts.

Fantastik also works well to get acrylic paint off of my studio equipment (easel, pallette knives, bulldog clips etc.)  I will have to try that cleaner on a mini as well.  I prefer it over simple green for that stuff because it rinses easier.

Anyone else try any of this?

Offline Moffaka

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Removing Paint
« Reply #348 on: February 21, 2018, 08:02:51 AM »
This Purple Power?

Cannabis seeds straight from the source – Nirvana™ Shop  ;D

Anyway, i bought some really cheap seeds forgeworld products on ebay that need a good strip. So for those who do not have access to simple green and purple power, i will be looking at a whole heap of readily available products to test on them.

-Ulfhedinn-
Thank you! I'll go, tear myself away from the warhammer and get into the garden;)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #349 on: February 21, 2018, 09:32:07 AM »
While it's great that you found the topic useful, 2011 was an awfully long time ago, even though it may not feel like it.  Please avoid reviving old topics in the future in accordance with the forum rules.  On that note this topic can sleep happily.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente