News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: can anybody unglue superglue?  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

can anybody unglue superglue?
« on: May 23, 2017, 11:31:41 AM »
I have a truck load of secondhand models that have been over glued in awkward positions. For the life of me I cannot separate torsos from legs and such without breaking them. Some will make it onto terrain pieces as casualties, however, there are just so many of them.

Please help me! If anyone knows of a way, (or formula), that can break down dried superglue I'd be eternally grateful.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: can anybody unglue superglue?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 12:21:14 PM »
From this sticky topic, I managed to find this topic, which may be of some help to you.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 04:20:14 PM »
Soaking in Simple Green usually does the trick for me.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 07:36:02 PM »
I wish someone said this to me before I went down this rabbit hole.

Only buy painted 2nd hand models if:
1) You like the paint job, position, etc.
2) You are looking for spare parts to kit bash.
3) You don't care how they look, you just need them to be on the board.
4) They are metal.

The amount of time and materials you spend on recovering them is only worth it, if you have alot of spare time. You are going to loose detail, most of the loss is not noticeable though and well, mistakes happen.

Simple green is the most effective thing I've found in removing paint from GW's plastic minis (You can find it at Bunnings). That said, it doesn't remove it as well as you hope it will. It will also not remove some forms of undercoat, don't ask me what types, as I bought them second hand, it wouldn't remove it even after a week of soaking.
It has no effect on Plastic glues, never tried it on superglue.

With metal mini's you can use harsher chemicals to remove the paint, which would also take care of the glue.

On to your question.

Was it Super Glue (stuff you buy from Woolies) or Plastic glue (current GW glue or the blue Revell bottles from Hobbyco).

Superglue - If it is a clump of something, then it is most likely this one.
I have not used simple green to remove this type of glue, so it might make the job easier. I would give it a go as it doesn't hurt the plastic.
pop it in the freezer, it will make the bond weaker and easier to remove the parts. Then you can use Acetone (nail polish remover, check the contents, you want a low concentration 30%, high concenrations will damage the model) to remove the glue clump. Hobby knife is the last restort.

Plastic Glue
When used in small/reasonable amounts it does not take much force to break on infantry and is generally a clean break, when waaaay to much has been used, the plastic is basically fused, the plastic will break before the bond will, so arms will snap if you try to force it.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 08:54:30 PM »
G'day Irisado!
Thank you for your research. Will give the brake fluid idea a crack if the simpler approaches don't work.

Hey Dog of War!
Simple green hey? Magenb says I can get it from Bunnings so will be having a go at that. Thanks for help mate.

Hi Magenb!
Metho has always done the trick of paint removal for me over the years. Most of the models I've bought 2nd hand have come apart with a little pressure, however! There's this one guy who drooowns his models in superglue, (Woolies brand). Eg: You cannot see the band of gems around the bicep of the lead Banchi's. They look like their on steroids. Will throw the plastic models in the freezer then go and buy some simple green. Thanks for the knowledge, mate.

Everybody:
Thank you all so much for your input. This has been a concern for some time now. Don't like being in peoples dept so I'll be keen to pay you all back with some knowledge of my own down the track. Will let you know how it turns out... Cheers pointy ears!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 10:43:06 PM »
Hi Magenb!
Metho has always done the trick of paint removal for me over the years. Most of the models I've bought 2nd hand have come apart with a little pressure, however! There's this one guy who drooowns his models in superglue, (Woolies brand). Eg: You cannot see the band of gems around the bicep of the lead Banchi's. They look like their on steroids. Will throw the plastic models in the freezer then go and buy some simple green. Thanks for the knowledge, mate.

No worries, let us know what worked.

FYI: Metho is a blend of substances, so be careful as not all brands use the same mix and ratios. Some can contain Acetone for example. So you might want to test it first if its not the same batch you've already used. Still might be ok as a rub rather than a soak. I wouldn't use it on resin models (recasts or Forgeworld kits) though.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:47:16 PM by magenb »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 10:56:14 PM »
Yes, discovered metho, resin and fine cast don't mix. However, if you don't soak them for too long, it can work in your favour. The pulse lasers from my Hornets arrived bent and wouldn't straighten. Soaked them in Metho for a few hours till they went soft. Braced them into position till they hardened and presto! I now have straight pulse lasers.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #7 on: June 5, 2017, 08:41:19 PM »
I've seen very little degradation in superglue bonds from brake fluid (which is hazardous to handle) or simple green.

Most hobby shops used to carry things like Unzap that were specifically made to dissolve superglue, it seems to me like they've been banned or discontinued in North America.

Superglue doesn't create a chemical fusion between any materials, though.  The parts can be snapped apart and the leftover superglue residue scraped off with a hobby knife.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.