News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1750 pt army for review  (Read 1805 times)

Offline cdpia1084

1750 pt army for review
« on: April 4, 2008, 03:38:38 PM »
I have been working and tweaking this list over the past month.  Ive added vehicles taken them out and back and forth.  Ive played several games with each version of my army but this is the list that i feel is the best for the games that I usually play.

HQ- 170pts
Farseer- guide, runes of witnessing, singing spear
Farseer- mind war, runes of witnessing, singing spear

Elites- 562pts
Striking Scorpions x 9 + exarch, biting blade, and shadowstrike
Wraithguard x 5 +warlock, enhance
    Wave Serpent EML, spirit stones, vector engines

Troops- 422pts
Rangers x 5
Dire Avengers x 9 +exarch, powersword+shimmershield, bladestorm
   Wave Serpent BL, spirit stones, vector engines

Fast Attack- 137pts
Warp Spiders x 4 + exarch, dual deathspinners, powerblades

Heavy Support- 452pts
Dark Reapers x 3 + exarch, EML, Fast Shot
Wraithlord, wraithsword, Brightlance
Wraithlord, wraithsword, starcannon

1749pts
44 models 2 vehicles
8 scoring units

Most of my opponents are Choas. so i usually have to deal with at least one land raider if not 2 just depends on who i play against.  Thats the reasoning for the BLs. 

My strategy is pair each wraithlord up with a farseer and have him guide the wraithlord while he shoots and gets close.  I infiltrate the scorpions and wait a turn until the wraithguards and dire avengers get up close and deploy.  I then drop the wave serpents back and just fire away.  I then use the rangers to take out troops and the DR for the same or if i dont have a clear shot just fire at any tank in LOS of the exarch. With the warp spiders i just use them for confusing my opponent's by just popping all over the place and if i get close enough my take out a transport or 2. 

This is my list that i will probably use again most army with just a few weapons changes and maybe switching out a unit or 2 depending on the opponent.

thats my list please be gentle.

« Last Edit: April 4, 2008, 10:51:50 PM by cdpia »
Some are good. Others are better. But I am the best!

Offline Mellchia

• The flame of glory can never be held for too long.
    • EldarWeb
Re: 1750 pt army for review
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »
Double Farseers with exact powers is overkill. In fact, the list doesn't benefit all that well from guide. You're much better off with Doom if you're facing Chaos and using DA's. Not sure you need two either.

Striking Scorpions aren't the best against MEQ, but if you like them, then take 'em. Howling Banshees would be better, although I wouldn't know how you would get them up the field.

Wraithguard look good. EML is a good choice for the WS I think.

I would try to add an additional Troop Choice instead of maxing Heavies. I don't believe you need both Wraithlords - keep the one with the BL. Instead, take a unit of Guardians with BL. Should serve well if in cover.

Warp Spiders are fine. Powerblades may not be needed without Withdraw.

Strategy should work fine!

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #2 on: April 7, 2008, 02:33:53 PM »
moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential: There is a lot of Anti-tank, BL's, EML's, Spears, as well as side/rear armour support so you actually have this area very well covered, Very Good (.9)
2.. Anti-MEQ potential: Not huge on models, but there is real quality in it and it actually has a fair bit of AP=3 or better shooting, and it has some CC potential against MEQ as well, Goo (.8 )
3.. Anti-Horde potential: Things like Orcs and Tyranids will run you over if your not seriously careful as you have very little it the way of "Holding" power, or mass number shooting (and before anyone freaks out, I saw the templates, and the Bladestorm, etc... ). Its just my expereince that things like Genestealers Hordes, and the New Orcs with their Trucks and Numbers are seriously dificult to actually "Stop". And his list could use a few tweeks that actually will assist his Anti-horde potential, so I only see this as being Above Average (.7 )
4.. Ranged Firepower potential: You have a decent mix of ranged firepower, but you could improve it with realative ease so overall its Above Average (.7 )
5.. Assault potential: Scorpions, possible WG and DA in very spacific instances so this area could use some more support, Average (.6)
6.. Scoring Units / point level: 8 Scoring units (with 2 Wave Serpents) is actually pretty decent, considering he didn't min/max the crap out of it. And compared to other races at this points level it is actually about Average (.6 )
7.. Durability or Resilience: WG, Scorpions, WL's are all resilient however they are mission some finesse items (fortune, etc) and there are other Softer units/items in the list, so oveall its just Average (.6)
8.. Flexibility: It has the ability to deal with most races and enemy configs; but there is room for improvement, so its just Average (.6)
9.. Mission Capability: I so no difficulty with too amny missions (escalation included) as the army has mobility and scenrios diversity in it, Good (.8 )
10. Dynamics and/or Theme: I like the theme and dynamics as I can actually see most things working well together; however with a few tweeks its could work even better, so overall its just Above Average (.7)

Rating = 7/10 Others may score it deifferently, and on this one I will actually be doing a rundown on each unit to show how he could tweek it as the list certainly deserves that respect.

HQ- 170pts
Farseer- guide, runes of witnessing, singing spear
I don't see guide being as usefull as Fortune could be, this could should probably be close to the DR and/or the WL's, and as nice as Guide looks, keeping the figures on the table longer will probably be more important than getting one good round of shooting. Also, as this guy should never be within 12" of the enemy, he does not need a Spear, finally I would have the Runes of Warding instead of the RoWit, as the army is in serious need of Psycher suppression.
(100) Farseer, Fortune, RoWard.

Farseer- mind war, runes of witnessing, singing spear
Again, I don't see how you will get Mindwar to be overly effective as the figure is on foot and hopefully won't be that close tot he enemy. Yes he adds some anti-tank potential; but its very limited again due to range. I think this figure would work better with Doom, and he should probably be as light as possible (runes of witness add a chance to use the power; but they also add a chance to nuke your own farseer) as he will be more upfront than the other.
(80) "Doomseer" Farseer with Doom.

Elites- 562pts
Striking Scorpions x 9 + exarch, biting blade, and shadowstrike
Now I actually like this unit alot, but I would add Stalker as well (202)
Wraithguard x 5 +warlock, enhance
    Wave Serpent EML, spirit stones, vector engines
Here I would use Conceal in place of Enhance as these guys make a great "Drive-By" unit, but they are susseptable to return fire shortly there after, and Enhance will not add as much (215) . For the Wave Serpent, I would run it a little lighter with Shuri-cannons just to save some points (130)

Troops- 422pts
Rangers x 5
The Pathfinder upgrade is just too good to pass up. (120)
Dire Avengers x 9 +exarch, powersword+shimmershield, bladestorm
   Wave Serpent BL, spirit stones, vector engines
I really like the DA config (162) and I use it often, the trick is to make sure you Bladestorm appropriately and then get back int eh Serpent, or get into CC and "Hold" something. For the Serpent I would trim the BL's to EML's as the increased template potential and considerable tank potential is great for diversity and it cheaper (150)

Fast Attack- 137pts
Warp Spiders x 4 + exarch, dual deathspinners, powerblades
If your going to run a small squad then keep the upgrade to a minimum as they won't last in CC anyway. Your best weapon is good movement to use their shooting. So just drop the PB's (127)

Heavy Support- 452pts
Dark Reapers x 3 + exarch, EML, Fast Shot
I don't like to mix up a lot of weaponry with this squad, and I find the RL is great on its own... but the unit should work. I would set-up in cover and slightly behind my WL's to limit the firing line to them and only for sake of the points, I would have to trim the squad down by one to.
(147) 3 DR: Exarch has EML and FS.

Wraithlord, wraithsword, Brightlance
Wraithlord, wraithsword, starcannon
On both of these I would run them with BL and EML, and keep them with the Fortune Farseer/DR and keep them shooting. They make great anti-tank units and their diverstiy for Hordes etc is wicked as well (310)

OK, that would put me at 1843pts, so I guess I could throw the 2 Singing Spears back onto the Farseers... or whatever.... but I think these changes would make the army more effective in the long run... I know that some will dis-agree with me; but palystyle will often be the determining factor, and you have to consider that I did not try to actually change out any of the units as I wanted to leave it as he started it for untis choices.

CaHG
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 06:55:22 AM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #3 on: April 9, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »
Your list has been selected for inclusion in the Big List of Eldar Lists project! You will be receiving a score from me using the 5/5 system as outlined in the Big List of Eldar Lists in the stickies on this board. Following is the critique I have given:

Background: .5
You've done a pretty good job of explaining who you play against and some of the threats you're likely to face. No mention of tournaments, so you don't have to worry about how competitive you could be and can stick more to your comfort zone. You are missing costs for the units - having them grouped into one total per FOC slot is nice in some ways, but the cost by unit is a good way to see where points are being sent in your list and where you can afford to prune things if you need to alter it a bit.

Composition: 1
As you can see, you have quite a few points in heavy and elite choices as compared to your troops section - I like to see about 4 units in troops minimum [counting transports] for decent FOC allocation. You've got several good combat units, a decent amount of firepower, and some mobility in your list, so should do alrightin each game phase. You don't have too many unit duplicates, which means your weak points can't be exploited too easily. Additionally, your upgrades are mostly suited to fighting the forces of Chaos. Overall I think you've done a pretty good job here.

Utility: 1
Runes of witnessing don't stack, so you could afford to lose one set. Apart from that most of your upgrades seem pretty integral to the tasks you've outlined for them. Overall a good job at keeping things efficient.

Flexibility: .5
Guide is not the most useful power for this army, though it helps with important shots - still, you'd almost benefit more from Doom or a second Mindwar [particularly potent vs chaos as I'm sure you aware, and helps back up that first one should it fail!]. The biting blade is not that great vs landraiders and the claw is better against most other things, and gets an extra attack on top of that. Might want to consider a trade. The wraithguard are nicely done, still, destructor would add a lot against the non-chaos crowd. If you consider the Scorpion's Claw, the powerblades on the spider exarch are much more useful, and doom starts to become a nice secondary power as well as mindwar. Actually, considering the Reapers, Avengers and Pathfinders, doom probably ought to be the power you arm that second farseer with, as it lets you reroll those failed armor-ignoring shots from reapers and pathfinders alike, and helps your main assault units in combat on top of this.

Ingenuity: .5
You've outlined a purpose for each squad along with a basic gameplan, but some contingency planning might also be useful. Think about where your list may not perform as well and how you would modify your approach to account for this. Also, you specify guiding both wraithlords yet only have one guide in the list, and yet this isn't a big deal because guide shouldn't really be your power of choice anyways. You did do a good job of selecting stuff to kill CSM armies with.

Total Score: 3.5, for a solid list
A pretty good job of selecting units to the job at hand that could stand for some tweaking in upgrade selection to give it that final push, and some thinking about how to use it in bad situations as well as good. Other players may need a bit more info in order to field this army succesfully, but should stand a fair chance of performing well.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:52:04 AM by Gutstikk »