News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Space Marines - Magma Drakes  (Read 1172 times)

Offline bluey

• break, cut, resize, glue, prime, paint: tadaaah
    • Display Case
Space Marines - Magma Drakes
« on: May 27, 2010, 04:47:12 AM »
Hello everybody!

I haven't posted in a long while around here, and that's because I've been neglecting my models while I've been moving from a studio to a real apartment. Moving being done I've resumed what I was doing: clumsily assembling my minis. Although i had a unit of scouts in the works I've left them aside for the time being, i hate the way they turned up and I'll probably strip them and start over.

For now I'm working on an assault squad, and also I've decorated the bases for my first minis i have ever painted: 5 tactical marines from the Assault on Black Reach Starter Set, but those are painted with Ultramarine colours so they're kind of a bonus.

Right so here's the Ultramarines decorated:

2 pictures, same pose, because my camera  has some issues, i should try some manual focus and manual white balancing next time, oh well...

Now for the assembled squad of Assault Marines:

I know picture quality is crap, but believe me, the less you see of that assembly job the better it is, anyway I'm pretty much showing off my 4 bases there, the 5th base is going to be without a rock because i couldn't find one to fit nicely on one base.

I hope to start painting tomorrow, with a bascoat, and then maybe during the weekend to finish 1 or 2 of the Assault Marines, then I'm looking forward to assembling and painting the AOBR Dreadnaught, and those are going to be some updates on on this project of mine.

Thanks for reading
Any criticism is welcome
Oh and:  I hate mold lines!!!
6th edition performance:
W/L/D
Tau - 2/1/1

Lookit: my War40K blog: My Display Case | Just a boy with his toy soldiers

Offline Explosivo111

• So what if my marines like gentle spanking?
Re: Space Marines - Magma Drakes
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 08:48:53 PM »
firstly, really nice models and i like the bases

those assault marine bases are brilliant, i would recomend painting the rock as though.
Grey with a white hightlight looks good in my opinion.

Are you collecting ultramarines? (may be a dumb question)

look forward to seeing some more pics soon :)

Offline bluey

• break, cut, resize, glue, prime, paint: tadaaah
    • Display Case
Re: Space Marines - Magma Drakes
« Reply #2 on: June 9, 2010, 01:08:50 PM »
Hello again,

I am moving slowly because I'm way too lazy, but i started making some "progress", started painting the feet of the jump marines so i can glue them to the bases.

I don't consider those feet "finished" cause the colour seems a bit white for my tastes, i am looking for a darker red there, but there's only about 3-4 layers of paint there and there's room for more.

Edit: I just realised i totally forgot to answer to Explosivo111:

I don't collect Ultramarines, they were just an experiment to try out all this painting stuff, see what all the fuss is about.

I don't think I'll be painting the rocks, they are already pretty realistic, seeing as theire real rocks. I know one of them is shiny that's because it has superglue on all the sides, i was a little undecided with the propper position for it.

No need to double post. Use the modify button and the thread still pops up with a new addition tag even if it doesn't move to the top of the list. - Rummy

Ah, ok, thanks
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 05:20:13 AM by bluey »
6th edition performance:
W/L/D
Tau - 2/1/1

Lookit: my War40K blog: My Display Case | Just a boy with his toy soldiers