News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Sunblitz Brotherhood: Eldar conversions and home-brewed unit entries  (Read 5746 times)

Offline nil

• I'm a grown man who plays with dolls. Pity me.
So, after a break of a couple of years, I'm interested in 40k again, and I've decided this time that I have absolutely no interest in playing tournaments or anything of the like.  The hobby/craft part is a lot of fun for me.  So why not try to make the army of my dreams: a modernized corsair army inspired by the pirates of RT?

Of course, the beginning of any army list is 3 heavy selections :)  That's why the first thing I made was Was, Is, and Were or Are, a Dragonfly pattern support walker, primary armament, twin-linked D-Cannon.

Initial discussion of the conversion was at http://www.40konline.com/index.php?action=post;msg=2590834;topic=212321.0; initial discussion of rules was at http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=211964.0.  I'm trying to consolidate everything into this one project thread, so I don't end up with a conversion, painting, and forge post for each entry :)

So this is a walker with twin-linked D-cannon, twin-linked shuriken catapults, jump jets, auxilliary armor, and a night shield (why? because it's cool)

I'm getting itchy to get this thing primed, but there are a few issues I want to figure out before hand.  Anybody got any ideas?

A) I want to model a night shield.  How?

B) I just added these piston-thingies to beef up the legs a bit.  They need a bit of clean up, but I'm hoping for feedback on whether to keep them or cut them back out.

Okay, and a taste of the next model:

That's an Eldar Malefactor!  What's a Malefactor?  For shame!
Please visit my Eldar Pirate conversion project at http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=212375.msg2591462;topicseen#msg2591462-- yellow elf needs feedback badly!

Offline nil

Re: Sunblitz Brotherhood: Eldar conversions and home-brewed unit entries
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 05:25:20 PM »
Practiced a little alchemy last night.

First experiments with snow flock and water effects.  Haven't figured out how to do footprints well yet.  I'm going for glacier world base.  People are less impressed with pure snow, because it's so much easier, but I think it looks nice-- very clean.

Worked a little on the Malefactor last night.  He's now got a couple of close combat weapons and a collar.

Dark primer, so I digitally brightened those pictures.

I'm going for the old RT musician look a little bit.  These were actually some of the most poorly conceived models ever by GW, but I'm vulnerable to nostalgia.

So that's supposed to be a high tech pan-flute worked into his helmet.  Also got a power glove, again, RT-style, like this guy:

My first time trying sculpting in years, and the first time I didn't just trash the end product.  Still lots of failings, but next one will be better.

So I've got to work out the rules for the malefactor.  Malefactors are psychic lieutenants, parallelly ranked with Prefectors (all the old Book of the Astronomicon pirates have Latin style names).  Prefectors/Malefactors are above Probati, and below Shadowlords, who are below Imperators (Pirate Princes).  Help me figure out the profiles:

NameWsBsSTWIALdSvPts
Pirate443315185+10
Probate443315295+?
Prefector553315295+?
Shadowlord6633262103+?
Prince7733373103+?

Is that reasonable?  I know the 2nd edition players won't like 4/4 pirates, but it's important to me for multiple reasons.

Priming everything as we speak.  Hope I don't need to do much more cleaning after priming.  Bought a compressor, regulator, filter and doodads today.  Going to try my hand at airbrushing for the first time.  Lots of firsts here.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 05:30:52 PM by nil »
Please visit my Eldar Pirate conversion project at http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=212375.msg2591462;topicseen#msg2591462-- yellow elf needs feedback badly!

Offline nil

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:00:35 PM »
Small update because I can't help myself:

OMFG airbrushes rock.

I got a badger 150 running off a 2.7 scfm @ 90 psi, and it's totally overkill.  I'm running it at around 30 psi.  It's dual action, not that I'm taking advantage of that, but it's really not any more difficult to use than a single action would be.

Basecoating is so easy, super thin paints with good, even coverage.  And just from basecoating, the potential for advanced stuff is obvious.

I'm going to mix up a real thin highlight layer and see how that goes, the lay down a heavy glaze.

Need some night projects for when I can't run the compressor.  Thinking special weapons trooper.  Shuriken cannon, fusion gun, flamer, haywire blaster?  Something else maybe?  Anybody want to make any requests?

Offline nil

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 10:20:27 PM »
Gonna need some practice for airbrush shading.  Hard to get the consistency just right.  I'll have to go over these again by hand.

As you can see, the color is not quite the color of unpainted plastic :)

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 10:25:17 PM »
I'd love to see you convert a haywire blaster.

Offline nil

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 02:20:24 PM »
Cool!  I'd been wanting to try my hand at a haywire blaster.

What do you think?  Not too late for alterations.  It's a bit end-heavy with those fins...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:21:32 PM by nil »

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 04:32:40 PM »
That looks really cool! My only criticism would be that it looks as if that striking scorpion is about to fall over.

Nice painting too though!

Offline nil

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 01:49:16 PM »
I'm going to wait a bit on the haywire blaster.  I'm trying to finish the walker.  I'm leaving for a couple of weeks on Thursday, and I'd like to have the walker done before then.

Everything except the banner, at least.  I'll actually have my computer back when I return, so maybe I'll try and do some stupid decal tricks.

I'm re-learning how to paint, it seems.

Offline nil

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:00:19 PM »
Did not meet my goal.  Here's where I stand:

Leaving for 2+ weeks tomorrow, so that's it for now.  Gotta take care of the pilot and the banner, but otherwise, it's about where I can take it.

When I get back, I plan to finish the walker, as well as:

3 pirates with shuriken catapult, pistol, ccw, haywire grenades
1 Malefactor with power glove, shuriken catapult, warpsong, grenades
1 pirate with shuriken cannon, grenades
3 pirates with shuriken catapult, pistol, ccw, heavy armor
1 Malefactor with power glove, shuriken catapult, warpsong, heavy armor
1 pirate with haywire blaster, heavy armor
Scratchbuilt light skimmer transport
Lord D'Lieth, Imperator of the Sunblitz brotherhood

Which would take me to around 500 points worth, I estimate.  But it's going to get in the way of my real life project: a backyard treehouse.  So it'll be night-time painting only for me.

Offline KrMaH

• "FOR PONY!!!"
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 03:09:28 PM »
i know ure gone, but its cool! i like them! :D
keep up :3
was it worth it?

Offline dprevs

• word to your moms im here to drop bombs
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 11:45:56 PM »
^Same as above, looks great, keep it up I cant wait to see the end product!
-dprevs