News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How to straighten resin models.  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

How to straighten resin models.
« on: July 14, 2017, 11:42:51 PM »
G'day all!
If you've ever bought models made of resin with a long weapon, (Spear, banner pole, Pulse laser). You know it's next to impossible to straighten the blessed things... Until now!

Place said bent weapon in a jar of Metholated Spirits, (NOT TURPENTINE), for a couple of days. When you take it out, it will be all floppy. Now brace it between two straight edged, heavy objects.

Once the model solidifies, it will be straight and stay that way. Here are two Pulse Lasers from an Eldar Hornet that I couldn't for the life of me straighten.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Re: How to straighten resin models.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 12:00:15 AM »
That's an interesting technology you came up with. But do you know that the same thing can be done using hot water in several minutes? ;)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 12:29:41 AM »
Bugga!
Here I was thinking I had solved a major bane of all modelers. Thank, SeekingOne. Your technique will save a lot more time.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 01:42:53 AM »
It isn't really mine - it's known for quite a while and is described, for example, here:
A guide to working with resin
Multiple other useful advice in there too.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 02:21:09 AM »
Thanks for that, SeekingOne!
A lot of handy hints there, mate. Benefits of being on a forum, hey!