News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My Tau List (2000)  (Read 464 times)

Offline EtherealFlame07

My Tau List (2000)
« on: November 29, 2005, 09:04:28 PM »
Hello, was just looking for some pointers/ critisism and whatnot.

Keep in mind that my main opponent is nids

Ethereal
Drone Controller
Shield Drones (2)
Commander
Hard-wired Target Lock
Hard-wired multi-tracker
Plasma Rifle
Missile pod
Shield Generator
Crisis Guards (2)
Hard-wired multi-tracker
burst cannon
Shield Generator
Steal Team (4)
team leader
marker light
hard-wired Targer lock
Steal Team (4)
team leader
markerlight
hard-wired Targer lock
Steal Team (4)
team leader
markerlight
hard-wired Targer lock
Fire Warriors (12)
team leader
markerlight
hard-wired target lock
Fire Warriors (12)
team leader
markerlight
hard-wired target lock
Pathfinders (8)
Bonded
Devilfish
Brodside team
team leader
drone controller (had 7 points and I felt like
 making the list exactly 2000, any
changes and this will gladly go)
Hammerhead
Rail Gun
Burst Cannons
multi-tracker
diruption pod
seeker missiles (4)
Hammerhead
Rail Gun
Burst Cannons
multi-tracker
diruption pod
seeker missiles (4)

Total of 2000
The idea was to give every squad a marker light for all those seeker missiles, and once they're gone, extra targeting for my railguns.

The commander would be a character hunter, and the railguns (hammerheads) would be for either the bigger targets or groups of the little ones.

Also, I was thinking of dropping the Broadsides for a third hammerhead

Alright, tear it apart  :D

Offline Spinkycleft

• I *LOVE* Tau!
Re: My Tau List (2000)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 10:42:33 PM »
HQ[/u]:
- Get rid of those bodyguards and drones!!  The Independant Character rules will preserve your commanders more than any amount of wounds you can give.  Plus, the bodyguards cost 10 more points than regular suits, all for hardwired stuff and useless close combat skills.

- The target lock on the Commander (Shas'el or Shas'o????) won't be needed then.  Also, you might consider ditching the Shield Generator because of the IC rules: completely opinion, though.

Elites:
- Stealth Teams seem spread too thin.  Group them up in two squads of 6.  This will strengthen the squads and free up a slot for a Crisis Suit or three to make up for the ones removed in the HQ bodyguard unit.

The Markerlights and Target Locks - I strongly suggest ditching them.  They are incredibly expensive if you add it all up (more than enough for an extra suit, even two cheap ones) and you already have 3 heavy support choices to rip through armor like it was paper.  Even if you face an army containing only tanks, you still are over-doing it.  If you want more markerlights, use the cheaper means: cut all the markerlights and maybe some missiles and get another pathfinder squad.

Troops:
- I suggest getting a third squad of fire warriors.  Though you do have a strong amount of S5 AP5 shots from the stealth suits and FWs, the third squadron will help.  It will bolster the stationary group sitting with your Broadsides (if you sit the Broadsides by the FWs): both infantry and Vehicles will have to tread lightly around this group or face a strong counter attack.

I strongly suggest you remove the markerlights and target lock for reasons found in the Elites suggestions.

Fast Attack
Looks good.  Perhaps another group of pathfinders if you want a lot of markerlights?

Heavy Support[/u]
How many broadsides?  If it is just one, then either get rid of him or give him some buddies.  A single Broadside won't make the enemy shake in their boots.

The Railheads look good.  I strongly suggest adding decoy launchers.  They are invaluble.
My Tau army currently consists of:
- 2 Hammerheads (Assembled)
- 2 Devilfish (Assembled)
- 6 Crisis Suits (Assembled)
- 13 Firewarriors (Assembled&Painted)
- 39 Firewarriors (Assembled)
- 24 Kroot (Unassembled)
- 32 Drones (Assembled)
- 3 FW Broadsides (Ordered)
So little time to paint...

Battle history:
Wins:    2
Losses: 3
Ties:     1
Most games against evil necrons.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 11:06:32 PM »
With what else are your Crisis Guards equipped? Unless the Burst Cannon is twin-linked, which I feel would be foolish.

Decoy Launchers are almost a standard requirement for Tau vehicles. The benefit they add compared to their price is well worth it.

For 2,000 points you have too few troops. Consider another full team of Fire Warriors or some Kroot to fill in the gaps. At this force size you may be overwhelmed by other more numerous armies.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline The_Outcast

• Infinity Circuit
  • I am the only one who left willingly.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 03:52:53 PM »
As said get rid of the markers and the missiles just not worht take it from my experiences. And get rid of the pathfinders also take that from my experiences. Lose the HW mutli for the commander's bodyguards, as well as the guards. Add a drone squadron of eight drones, deploy it near your commander and they will protect him because of his IC status. And streghten the stealths and add more FWs.

The_Outcast

Offline EtherealFlame07

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 06:49:58 PM »
Wow, sounds good, think I might need to reconstruct the list entirely, so many things need changing...

Offline Blood Hawk

• Armies: Stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 08:45:20 PM »
you dont need to completly change the list.  If you are going to use seeker missles i would spread them amoung many vechicles.  This will give you more chances to hit rear and side armor and if one of your skimmers goes down you don't lose all your seekers.  IC statis is best for your HQ unless they are going to be hunting very close to the enemy.  You might also want to swich one of your railheads to ionhead.

Offline ziemer

« Reply #6 on: December 9, 2005, 12:28:39 PM »
I am sorry I will have to disagree with The_Outcast.  Pathfinders are quite useful.  I think very usefull against nids especially.  You can use the markerlights to improve the shooting of the Railguns Submunitions as well as ignoring cover saves.  Broadsides can be very useful too, as the Smart Missle system can be used to cover terrain features from out of sight.  Against a fairly quick, usually CC army like nids, I prefer very mobile Tau Armies.  I giv a fish to all my troops, that way when the nids start getting close to assault you can run, or you can put the fish in the way (since they do not block line of sight, but the nids will have to go around it to get in CC.)

In my 1850 army, I pack 3X12 FW in Fish, and 2X8 Pathfinders for troop types.  I  know Pathfinders are fast attack, but the multi-trackers are great for focusing heavy fire on dangerous units, and carbines are great at slowing down footsloggers.  My usual opponets field CC SMurf armies (one being strictly BA).  I maul the CC armies worse than the armies that try to outshoot my Tau.

Offline wakopanda

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 12:46:43 PM »
Rip it you say...  ;)? okay then, here i go

Ethereal
Drone Controller
Shield Drones (2)

not good. the death of both sheild drones will actually force the etheral to fall back, and the sheild drones strip him of his IC, so he is actually more vunerable. (ps, correct me if im wrong about the IC)

Commander
Hard-wired Target Lock
Hard-wired multi-tracker
Plasma Rifle
Missile pod
Shield Generator

a useable loadout. myself, i blaspheme and dont use fireknife, but thats me.

Crisis Guards (2)
Hard-wired multi-tracker
burst cannon
Shield Generator

drop like many many burning coals. these are very expensive, and make great point sinks. boot em, and that lets you make you comander an IC so you can drop his sheild generator

(PS if you want to be fluffy then keep them)

Steal Team (4)
team leader
marker light
hard-wired Targer lock

heheh, fairly sure you mean stealth team. anyway, markerlights on these guys should be punishable by death. you loose their mobility, and their general purpouse which is to flit around at the speed of knots, getting on your enemys nerves. drop the marker light and target lock, and merge them into two squads of 6 as was suggested earlier

Steal Team (4)
team leader
markerlight
hard-wired Targer lock

Steal Team (4)
team leader
markerlight
hard-wired Targer lock

Fire Warriors (12)
team leader
markerlight
hard-wired target lock

well, a marker light here is better than on stealths but its still overdoing it. anyho, i perscibe shas'uis for the leadership, and at least one squad in a devilfish.

Fire Warriors (12)
team leader
markerlight
hard-wired target lock

ditto

Pathfinders
Bonded

plain and simple, but give them a shas'ui. good job avoiding rail rifles
Devilfish

weapon and sytem loadout please?

Brodside team
team leader
drone controller (had 7 points and I felt like
 making the list exactly 2000, any
changes and this will gladly go)

maths is wrong here methinks.

232 (this is wrong, should be 205pts)
Hammerhead
Rail Gun
Burst Cannons
multi-tracker
diruption pod
seeker missiles (4)

not too bad. possibly suffers from eggs and basket syndrome, shift a seaker misslile or so onto a 'fish

Hammerhead
Rail Gun
Burst Cannons
multi-tracker
diruption pod
seeker missiles (4)

your hammerheads are a bit expensive with the seekers. my advice: rework the math on the broadside, remove markerlights and target locks from stealths, loose some seekers use the points to get some kroot or more fire warriors.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 12:50:19 PM by wakopanda »