News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Linked Fire Stratagem Question  (Read 1906 times)

Offline xMagiox

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Linked Fire Stratagem Question
« on: January 12, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding the "Linked Fire" Stratagem.

On the stratagem it said "Use this stratagem when you select a target for a fire prism's prism cannon. Since all fire prisms also have a twin shuriken catapults by default, does that mean I cannot fire my twin shuriken catapults?

My friend and I came up with a solution that we believe works with the rules, since you have to resolve all shots from one unit before moving to another, the first fire prism can shoot with his twin shuriken catapult before using the "Linked Fire" stratagem. After the stratagem is resolved, the other fire prisms cannot use their twin shuriken catapults.

Any opinions on the matter would be a great help.

Thanks,

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: Linked Fire Stratagem Question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 05:12:02 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding the "Linked Fire" Stratagem.

On the stratagem it said "Use this stratagem when you select a target for a fire prism's prism cannon. Since all fire prisms also have a twin shuriken catapults by default, does that mean I cannot fire my twin shuriken catapults?

My friend and I came up with a solution that we believe works with the rules, since you have to resolve all shots from one unit before moving to another, the first fire prism can shoot with his twin shuriken catapult before using the "Linked Fire" stratagem. After the stratagem is resolved, the other fire prisms cannot use their twin shuriken catapults.

Any opinions on the matter would be a great help.

Thanks,

The way the shooting phase works, is, one at a time, you activate units and do this:

1. choose unit to activate
2. choose targets
3. choose ranged weapons
4. resolution

The time to use this stratagem is during step 3 when activating a fire prism, when you select targets for your ranged weapons before rolling any dice. The Stratagem itself says to delay the Prism Cannon's attacks, but not any of the other attacks. So, the way this sequence works is like this:

First, you activate your first Fire Prism and select targets for its guns.
Next, you activate the Linked Fire stratagem. This delays your Prism Cannon's attacks, but not any of your other attacks (such as with underslung Shuriken Cannon. So, you resolve the Shuriken Cannon immediately.

Now, you activate your second Fire Prism, choose targets, etc. With this second Fire Prism, the Linked Fire rules very clearly only apply to the Prism Cannon; if you choose to use them, the underslung gun can shoot however you want, at any target, but does not benefit from the Linked Fire rules. Nothing in the rules says you can't shoot the underslung gun. So, your second Fire Prism shoots its Prism Cannon at the marked target, and its Shuriken Cannon however it wants.

At the end of the phase, the first Fire Prism gets to shoot its Prism Cannon (and it already shot its underslung gun long ago).

Note that, re: the first Fire Prism, "since you have to resolve all shots from one unit before moving to another" is normally true but the Linked Fire stratagem specifically trumps this.

Note that, re: the second Fire Prism, the idea that "After the stratagem is resolved, the other fire prisms cannot use their twin shuriken catapults" has no basis in the text. There are no restrictions placed on subsequent Fire Prism's non-Prism-Cannon shots, because all restrictions only apply "when firing their prism cannons" which is obviously not the same gun as their shuriken guns.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:28:18 PM by Blazinghand »
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.