News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Deathwing Terminators vs Chaos Terminators  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
  • Armies: Chaos Space Marines
Deathwing Terminators vs Chaos Terminators
« on: May 10, 2017, 09:06:18 PM »
So my main opponent is a friend of mine who plays dark angels and ether takes a full deathwing army or takes some deathwing. I generally do just shoot them down and keep my distance but I have been building up some terminators and even though he has 50 I have always liked the idea of traitor and loyal terminators fighting. I was curious if anyone has had any experience fighting deathwing and could help on what I should be bringing to the table.

Cheers
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Deathwing Terminators vs Chaos Terminators
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 11:29:20 PM »
Lots of terrain to hide behind and your armour on backwards... being turncoats and all. Bwahaha!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 06:34:32 AM »
Plasma. Lots and lots of plasma. Deathwing has great armor, but not a lot of wounds. You need stuff that will punch through it, and in numbers.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 12:07:30 PM »
I would also recommend avoiding combat.  With the detachment and formations available to the Deathwing, they are made all the more deadly against Chaos Space Marines by having Preferred Enemy.

Now, you mention that he plays an all Deathwing list.  I am curious to know how he manages that without automatically losing the game.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
  • Armies: Chaos Space Marines
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »
Yeah I assume I should not get into combat, I always just imagined what are described in the black library books, epic combat between traitor and loyalist. I was hoping there was some crazy combination that would stand a change against deathwing in combat.

When he takes the daethwing list their are all the special rules they get, it is kind of insane. Unless I know in advance (which I never do) that he is taking an all deathwing list and take something to counter it I basically have one turn of shooting before amphetamine parrot hits the fan.
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 09:53:41 PM »
Conventionally, I might suggest Terminators with the Mark of Tzeentch and combiplasma, accompanied by a Tzeentch sorcerer.

But, given the new edition, I rather doubt that advice will stand.

Offline Gal'rgae Neverborne

• Armies: Eldar, Deathwing, Daemons
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 05:12:59 PM »
Now, you mention that he plays an all Deathwing list.  I am curious to know how he manages that without automatically losing the game.

Aware this is the last hours of 7th Ed but I believe their are 2 ways. Firstly Unbound, then the Deathwing strike force allows you do deep strike dreadnoughts if they are in drop pods 50% as usual you'd then have to role for reserves. It's pretty awful so rarely seen, but possible.

So my main opponent is a friend of mine who plays dark angels and ether takes a full deathwing army or takes some deathwing. I generally do just shoot them down and keep my distance but I have been building up some terminators and even though he has 50 I have always liked the idea of traitor and loyal terminators fighting. I was curious if anyone has had any experience fighting deathwing and could help on what I should be bringing to the table.

Cheers

In answer to this, pretty much anything, other than possibly rubric marines. Deathwing are not a competitive build, i'd suggest your friend is just playing deathwing as s/he likes to idea.  I think you're better off taking something more relaxed than ending the game on turn 3.