News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The 3rd 40konline UK Tournament [NOW WITH PICS ON PAGE 15!!!]  (Read 21605 times)

Offline Libertine

• Banned.
The 3rd 40konline UK tournament

Ok guys I’m starting this thread to we can discuss what you want to do for the next event in a couple of month’s time. here is all the latrest info

So far we have a location for the event, Erriond has very kindly agreed to provide a Gaming club for us which has 20+ gaming tables and is located in BrentCross (North London Zone 3 on the Northern Line.) This location has been selected as it is ideal for those of you traveling from outside London as it is located just 5minuets away from Golders Green coach station meaning that people will not need to splash out on expensive train fares to get to the tournament (If anyone requires any info on booking coaches please feel free to Email me @ Ryan_Brookes@hotmail.co.uk and ill sort it for you).

This is a map of the location if you need additional directions.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=522799&y=189113&z=0&sv=NW4+4AJ&st=2&pc=NW4+4AJ&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

Its a big church, you can't miss it!

Date
Hte Date of the Tournament has now been confrimed as the 29th of July. This date was selected as it is the most convnient for the majority of people.

Cost
The Cost of the event really depends on how many people attend currently were looking at a cost of around £5. However the cost will be even lower if more people attend.

The Rules
We will be playing 1,500 point games* with deep strike and infiltration in use on a 3+. The system for scoring will be based on the Conflict tournament system as follows…

The Conflict tournament system is a  good system in that it makes sure that you are playing someone of the same or similar level to yourself, so that way admiral nelsons and saddam husseins can all play other generals that are a same level as they! ensuring fun games for all.

Basically it awards a number of points based on the results of your games, with more points being awarded for a greater victory.
It works like this=

massacre = winner gets 20 points, loser gets 0
solid victory = winner get 17 points, loser gets 3
marginal victory = winner gets 13 points, loser gets 7
draw = each player gets 10 points

The idea is that before each round of games, the scores are worked out so that the top two players will play each other, the 3rd and 4 will play each other and so on. What this means is that experienced players will be facing of against other skilled players while relative noobs will play people of a similar skill level.

The only difference that we are making is that if a player feels that facing unofficial units such as AC or flyers etc would spoil their enjoyment of the tournament then they may switch opponents with someone who does not mind facing such units for example

If the person in 6th place is drawn against the person in 5rd who is fielding an Armoured Company then they may choose to switch opponents with the pair above them, and so the person in 6th will then be playing the person in 3rd and the person who is in 5th will be playing the person in 4th. If that is unclear then please contact me and ill have an other go at explaining it.

Other than that there are no real rules other than to have fun ;)

*don’t worry if you cant field an army this size just contact me and ill make arrangements for you)

How to take Part
If you wish to take part in the Tournament the either email me @ Ryan_Brookes@hotmail.co.uk or make yourself known on the thread below

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=113545.0

Let others Know
The more people we get involved in this event the more fun its going to be for all involved that’s why we need YOU to let as many people know about this event as possible. You can do this by emailing other 40konline members who you feel would be interested in the event and you can also help by cutting and pasting the text in the grey box below into your signature which will give you a banner identical to this one...

If YOU want to take part in the 40kOnline UK Tournament click on this link

Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=110599.20][IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b29/oink-pics/web%20banners/40klondontournamentcopy.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=110599.0]If YOU want to take part in the 40kOnline UK Tournament click on this link[/url]

Keeping YOU up to date
If you are interested in attending the tournament then i will personly keep you informed by updating you with a weekly news letter that containes all the essential information on the tournament. I can send this to you via PM or Email. Failing that keep an eye on this thread for the news letter

Ryan_Brookes@hotmail.co.uk
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 07:52:33 PM by Libertine »

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
Re: The 3rd 40konline UK tournament!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 3, 2006, 02:17:49 PM »
My oppinion.

Keep it 40konline
Make it Medusa V themed
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline Fishy

• Used Skyray Salesman
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 'Shoot coward, you are only going to kill a man.'
« Reply #2 on: May 3, 2006, 02:19:33 PM »
I know Ive yet to make it to such an event and for that my two cents may be worth well, slightly less lol, but here goes anyway.

Personally another tournament sounds like the best idea, if only as mega-battles seem easier to come across in your local GW and narratives can still be tied into tournaments. Perhaps some kind of campaign tournament... with scenarios depending on narrative, different objectives, I dont know entirely where Im going with this, just stuff from the top of my head.

As for inviting other websites, IMO see how many you get from this one first. To be honest, if you leave it til next time to invite other sites that means theres even longer to look at other websites, suggest it to them and see how many of them may turn up, to where, etc.

Good work so far!  ;)
Fish

The Tau Empire needs you to write articles for its Project now! Want to know more? Just ask!

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #3 on: May 3, 2006, 02:25:38 PM »
Oooh, ooh, me me! I want in, and I want more warning this time!

I agree with Jonik incidentally.

And certainly not a megabattle. Those are typically pretty poor in my experience, and they take forever.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2006, 02:36:48 PM by Luke Skyscraper »
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #4 on: May 3, 2006, 03:54:02 PM »
i agree also on the idea of keeping it 40konline "exclusive"... at least for now.

i think we could easily make it medusa V based, and take pride in playing games as part of the campaign over the summer... a great way to kill two birds with one mighty stone.

there are many ways we could make it campaign based... im branstorming some at the moment... if this is what is decided by the majority then we can explore them in greater detail at a later date.

Offline Meteorain

• The time of Purification is at hand
« Reply #5 on: May 3, 2006, 03:59:39 PM »
Well....I don't really mind how we go along, but a Medusa V based theme would be quite fun to play.

As for keeping it 40kO exclusive, I think won't be so bad, atleast I will get to know the people on the same forum as me better =]
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear.

Offline Vespasian Swiper

• Dear Live Journal...
  • Damn Dora...
    • Club DM
« Reply #6 on: May 3, 2006, 04:18:53 PM »
GcN Narrator offered to help us with the organisation etc of a Megabattle.

Also narrative I have several ideas of my own at the moment.

I am for a mega-battle - with maybe smaller battles tying in to the massive conclusion.

~Swipe.
Its an even stranger day when you have a fat Games Workshop-Fanboy Ninja declare to end you for something you did for April Fools on Teh Interwebz.

It's a strange day in the world where I find myself agreeing more often than not with Swiper.  :D

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: May 3, 2006, 04:20:40 PM »
As stated by a good handful of members that actually turn up to this though, mega battles aren't top on the list.

Offline Libertine

• Banned.
« Reply #8 on: May 3, 2006, 05:40:49 PM »
hmm suport seems to be for a tournament, ive just got PMs from two more peeps who want a tournament

Well, my vote goes for another tournament of the same type as you had recently. I really wanted to come to the last one but I had commitments elsewhere - last rugby game of the season for the team I captain. The bugger was I got sent off 20 minutes in!!! Ah well...

So yes, I'd love a go at the next tournament you organise. Let me know!

Hiya mate
sorry I couldn't make it to the tournament I didn't know about it as I've been working in Sweden and haven't logged on in ages.Any way I'm back now and would be up for the next tournament as it sounds like a blast.I haven't played in any before and am keen to try out my Black legion against something other than my son's Tyranids!!! If nothing else I can provide Bill with some support in the golden oldie stakes. Anyway look forward to hearing from you.

I will be at conflict in June maybe see you there, Tim

But there is no reason why we cant have a tournament very soon and then a mega battle at a later date. Or even have both on the same day

Offline 0b5idian

« Reply #9 on: May 3, 2006, 06:04:20 PM »
Sooner rather than later would be good

P.S. The GCSEs study leave starts on May the 18th (I don't know if that only applies to me...
Beware the Deadly Donkey
Falling Slowly From the Sky
You can Choose the Way You live my Friend
But Not the Way You Die.

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: May 3, 2006, 06:05:58 PM »
Well there's AS and A2 modules coming up as well, but we have fewer exams and more leave for that...

Offline Libertine

• Banned.
« Reply #11 on: May 3, 2006, 06:07:13 PM »
Sooner rather than later would be good
P.S. The GCSEs study leave starts on May the 18th (I don't know if that only applies to me...

hey dude I'm starting work as a trainee teacher in September. I'm going to be teaching students your age subjects like RE, History and sociology. Do you take any of these?

Offline Pauk777

• http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/Pauk777/40KObest-army.jpg
« Reply #12 on: May 3, 2006, 06:43:30 PM »
Hey bro,

I don't mind if it's 40KO only or multi-website. MedusaV sounds cool - but would it still be a regular tournament then?

The only thing I'd really appreciate is that if it's not until June (moving house at end of May and need some time to paint up some more points!)

Thanks Lib!

Pauk777 8)
Leaving 40k for while for greener wood elf pastures.

Offline Erand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: May 4, 2006, 05:51:04 AM »
Hey all,

Personally for what its worth I would like something as close to the last one as possible, I loved every moment of it. Theming it around Medusa V would be really cool, has anyone got ideas about how to do that?

Erriond

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #14 on: May 4, 2006, 11:19:07 AM »
therea re a number of ways you can go about it.

you could divide everyone into racial teams... and then play out games against other racial teams earning points as you go... you could then score points individually... just as we usually do in tournaments... but also add together the scores so that you have a racial score...

between each round we would have racial leaders... and this might affect the type of mission for example.... say, if the eldar were losing (yea right) then their next missions might be centred around defending a webway portal for instance.

another possible way is to have a very basic resource system. whereby you play games as normal... but each game is fought over a territory. these could be on a map but could easily just be represented by cards detailing the area and its benefits. as the races build up benefits, they could be used by particular players as needed for a game... might be something as small as some points for fortifications / barricades.... perhaps a number of re-rolls... whatever. the idea being that races can choose to fight for a particular location and that the defending race would have to send a general to fight over it, so you are managing locations and armies as you go. as a whole this might end u beign more confusing and teh above option is probably better, easier and faster.

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #15 on: May 4, 2006, 02:51:53 PM »
Well there's AS and A2 modules coming up as well, but we have fewer exams and more leave for that...

Fewer exams and more leave? I break up at half term and have exams first thing back. 4 further maths exams and 2 3hr music exams....

Anyway, I finish on the 26th of june exam wise. Not wanting to influence (well...) but if it is before then, I shan't be coming to the next one.

Hey all,

Personally for what its worth I would like something as close to the last one as possible, I loved every moment of it. Theming it around Medusa V would be really cool, has anyone got ideas about how to do that?

Erriond

Same, and oink has a some good ideas there. I have no experiance on the matter so I wont comment.

• Ancient
« Reply #16 on: May 4, 2006, 04:45:35 PM »
Well I have 9 exams coming up, but they're spread out over 4 days. Way less than GCSEs were...

I finish on the 9th june.

Offline small_furry_spider

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • www.small.furryspider.com
« Reply #17 on: May 4, 2006, 06:49:21 PM »
I'm interested in a tournament rather than a megabattle. Megabattles just drag on forever with really long turns. Lets try and get some date ideas asap so I can push for one I am free on :).

Offline Vespasian Swiper

• Dear Live Journal...
  • Damn Dora...
    • Club DM
« Reply #18 on: May 5, 2006, 11:59:21 AM »
I have 6 exams over 2 weeks, finish on the 26th  :)

Good news.

GcN got back to me, it looks as if several GcNs can give us a major hand.

I am now considering several tournament style battles, which all effect each other, with a 'mega-battle' in the centre, which runs as the others run... if that makes sense ;)

~Swipe,
Its an even stranger day when you have a fat Games Workshop-Fanboy Ninja declare to end you for something you did for April Fools on Teh Interwebz.

It's a strange day in the world where I find myself agreeing more often than not with Swiper.  :D

• Ancient
« Reply #19 on: May 5, 2006, 12:03:28 PM »
I refer you to popular opinon on this point:

I'm interested in a tournament rather than a megabattle. Megabattles just drag on forever with really long turns. Lets try and get some date ideas asap so I can push for one I am free on :).