News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 Hunter Contingent plus CAD  (Read 4791 times)

Offline kaldolaf

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
1850 Hunter Contingent plus CAD
« on: December 3, 2015, 08:50:16 AM »
So I have a list that thinking of trying.  Basically have all of it aside from a Ghostkeel, fusion steath's, and marker drones.

+++ 1850 Hunter Contingent (1847pts) +++

++ Tau Empire: Codex (2015) (Tau Hunter Contingent Detachment) (1607pts) ++

+ Core (1187pts) +

Hunter Cadre (1187pts)
··Command
····Commander
······XV8 Commander Crisis Suit [Command and Control Node, Flamer, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Puretide Engram Neurochip]
··Elite
····XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
······Crisis Shas'ui [2x Missile Pod, Target Lock]
······Crisis Shas'ui [2x Missile Pod, Target Lock]
····XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
······Crisis Shas'ui [2x Plasma Rifle, Target Lock]
······Crisis Shas'ui [2x Plasma Rifle, Target Lock]
··Fast Attack
····Drones [4x MV7 Marker Drone]
····Drones [4x MV7 Marker Drone]
··Heavy Support
····TX7 Hammerhead Gunships
······TX7 Hammerhead Gunship [2x MV1 Gun Drone, Disruption Pod, Ion Cannon]
··Troops
····Breacher Team [Fire Warrior Shas'ui with Pulse Blaster, 7x Fire Warrior with Pulse Blaster, MV36 Guardian Drone]
······TY7 Devilfish [2x MV1 Gun Drone, Disruption Pod]
····Breacher Team [Fire Warrior Shas'ui with Pulse Blaster, 7x Fire Warrior with Pulse Blaster, MV36 Guardian Drone]

+ Auxiliary (420pts) +

Optimized Stealth Cadre (420pts)
··XV25 Stealth Battlesuits
····Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon [Counterfire Defence System]
····Stealth Shas'ui with Fusion Blaster [Fusion Blaster]
··XV25 Stealth Battlesuits
····Stealth Shas'ui with Fusion Blaster [Fusion Blaster]
··XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits
····Ghostkeel Shas'vre [Counterfire Defence System, Cyclic Ion Raker, Twin-linked Burst Cannon]

+ Primary Detachment +

Primary Detachment

++ Tau Empire: Codex (2015) (Combined Arms Detachment) (240pts) ++

+ HQ (100pts) +

Darkstrider (100pts)

+ Troops (140pts) +

Kroot Carnivores (70pts) [10x Kroot, Sniper Rounds]

Kroot Carnivores (70pts) [10x Kroot, Sniper Rounds]

The basic idea is for the commander to join one of the Crisis teams and then spread USRs as needed (provided opponent doesn't require neutering Coordinated Firepower).  Breachers will be doing FoF.  Marker drones for nice mobile MLs.  And Opt. Stealth Cadre just makes vehicles cry.  Darkstrider will join the Breacherss for the nice toughness lowering as well as helping the squad he is joined to avoid close combat.  The kroot sit in cover and provide harassing fire.  HH joins fire where needed.

The only things I'm still considering is trying to free up points to add an ethereal to also join the breachers.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: 1850 Hunter Contingent plus CAD
« Reply #1 on: December 4, 2015, 10:56:41 AM »
Interesting list. I especially like the inclusion of Darkstrider (and getting Ob Sec on the two Kroot squads might be handy, even though I generally refuse to take more than one squad of Kroot).

Okay, some thoughts:

About the Breachers, I forget--do you have to pay for the Guardian Drone, or do they just get it? If you have to pay, I'd ditch it. A Daemon Save ain't worth it (sayeth the Daemon player). Park the pair of gun drones in their path and you get the same basic effect for zero cost. I *still* think you won't get their super-shots very often, given the ranges needed, but I'm interested to hear how they play out for you.

In terms of getting the points for an Ethereal, here is my advice on what to cut:

All Target Locks: I have a feeling we're just going to disagree on this issue, but I've found the Target Lock to be the most consistently useless thing in a Crisis Suit's arsenal. The number of times splitting Crisis Team firepower has paid off is vastly outweighed by the number of times it has boned me good. I realize overkill is a concern, but it really only becomes a concern in the late game, when units of not-quite-dead guys are straggling around. Gun Drones, though, are for stragglers. Not whole XV8s. The only time I see it as worth it is in giant Farsight-Bomb style lists which need them because they contain sufficient firepower to actually destroy multiple units themselves. Your little two-suit units don't qualify.

DPod on the Hammerhead: Anytime you jink with a Hammerhead, you have wasted a Hammerhead (*especially* with an Ion Cannon). It has solid front armor and cover isn't that hard to come by. It will be fine without it.

Fusion Guns on Stealths: I will say that a notable weakness in your army is the capacity to deal with Land Raiders, but two Fusion Guns does not solve this problem, anyway, so you may as well save the points. Plus there's the whole "but now my burst cannons are shooting at Land Raiders" problem, which I think is a bigger problem overall than "I can't kill that Land Raider I might, one day, encounter."

Counterfire Defense on the Ghostkeel: The Ghostkeel is going to live 6" away from the Stealths, anyway, so there is *plenty* of boosted overwatch coming your way.

Bam. Ethereal is yours.

Now, about AV14 vehicles...
Obviously, with the Wall of Mirrors, anything with a low rear armor is toast. I don't think fusion blasters in Stealth Squads is necessarily the answer to Land Raiders/Monoliths/etc.. That said, if you are worried about this kind of thing (does your metagame feature a lot of Raiders?), you could save the points for the Ethereal by switching back to the Fusion Collider on the Ghostkeel and taking Fusion Blasters (which I think still saves you the points needed). Then you've got enough melta (4 shots, more or less) to threaten those big, heavy tanks.

Anyway, those are my .02. Good luck with the list!

Offline kaldolaf

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: December 4, 2015, 12:22:02 PM »
You do have to pay for the drones (both for the drones and the Shas'ui to be able to take them).

I can see dropping the target locks.  If I had 3 units of crisis and with more suits per unit I could see using Coord. Fire to have them get the BS bonus but spread their shooting around the same way a Farsight bomb would.

I'll try the HH without the Dpod.

And I think the rest of your suggestions are quite good.

As far as AV 14, I can't really say what my meta looks like as I am just getting back into playing and have only played a local game about a year ago.  In general, what are our best options for dealing with AV14?  I know weapon wise Fusion is the best but what is the best platform for it?

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: December 4, 2015, 12:30:18 PM »
I'd say either Crisis Suits (drop in a 2-suit team with 4x Fusions and you should do some damage) or Piranhas (my personal favorite).

The good things about Piranhas is the drones are like free troops and the Feints and Ambushes lets your Piranha turboboost and then shoot if the Commander is close enough. Turn 1: disembark drones, move, zoom, boom. Fairly awesome.

(Though something is telling me you can't turboboost after disembarking passengers...but something else is telling me I looked this up once and found out it was fine...) Nevertheless, the Piranhas can get there right away and, with coordinated firepower, will do their jobs.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2015, 01:41:33 PM by Wyddr »

Offline kaldolaf

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: December 4, 2015, 12:43:37 PM »
I might have to take another look at Piranhas.  I've never been found of them in the past.

And Feints and Ambushes with Coordinated Fire is another area where I think GW needs to FAQ our new 'Dex.  Per the wording of Feints the full sequence of run/flat-out then shoot has to be completed before moving on to another unit.  And since CoordFire doesn't come in until you nominate a target for a unit to shoot at.  My take is that RAW this means units that you choose to have add their shooting in will not be able to use Feints.  I'd say RAI is that any units close enough to commander can Feint and CoordFire.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: December 4, 2015, 01:44:59 PM »
Piranhas are pure gold. I love, love, love them. Mostly for the Drones, honestly (FREE DRONES!), but for the fusion blaster, too. You need to take them in squadrons, though. I usually run with 4 in 2 squads of 2. You will lose them, but so what? They're dirt cheap!

I don't think there's anything in Feints and Ambushes that forbids Coordinating Fire. I mean, you still need to select a target in the shooting phase--that *still* happens--and so all the other firepower should load on at that point as usual. I mean, typically in the shooting phase you select a target and resolve before doing anything else, anyway. Coordinated Firepower interrupts that process and that process is still in-tact after a run/flat-out move.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #6 on: December 4, 2015, 01:58:28 PM »
Seen the Piranha FireStream Wing formation? Be in the right place and you come back out of reserves with damage repaired and missiles and drones replaced.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline kaldolaf

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: December 4, 2015, 02:03:02 PM »
Like I said, I think that is the RAI and the order that a run/flatout is declared in relation to selecting a target ends up in a frustrating semantic arguement.

That honestly has been my biggest complaint with the new codex.  There has been so much back and forth entirely on semantics for a lot of the rules; Coordindated Fire, Feints, Coldstar, does Firebase cadre firestorm rule also benefit from Coordinated Fire, do coordniated fire or firebase firestorm force units to run to regain coherency.

These are just some of the debates I've seen.

Post Merge: December  4, 2015, 02:14:31 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Yeah the pirahna formation is pretty cool.  Especially if you also take the vx1-0 drone formation.

Pirahna formation
 3x5 pirahna
 1 lone pirahna

Drone formation
 4x4 drones (your preference)

Turn 1 drop off drones then enter reserve.  You now have 3x10 gun drones at BS3.
Turn 2, pirahnas come back on, drop off drones, reenter reserves.  Another 30 BS3 gun drones.
Rinse and repeat.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2015, 02:14:31 PM by kaldolaf »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: December 4, 2015, 02:46:42 PM »
I haven't seen that formation. Where is it?

I remember an old one from Apocalypse way back when, but that one included a Tetra.

Offline kaldolaf

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: December 4, 2015, 02:51:23 PM »
Both of those formations are in the Mont'Ka book.  Both are Aux choices for the Dawn Blade detachment (FSE Decurion).  They can also be taken as separate formation as part of C:TE detachment.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #10 on: December 4, 2015, 03:43:24 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the drone formation as I basically like drones. Especially as one of the formation's rules applies to *all* drones on the board, formation or not, and the formation specific rule applies an insane number of USRs.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.