News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GW Cases  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Temperance

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
GW Cases
« on: April 16, 2015, 02:04:38 PM »
Still haven't figured out if I want to pick up this game again, although I am leaning towards grabbing six jetbikes or so to paint up for fun.

I was looking around GW's site and saw some cases that are pretty unlike any I've seen before though. Does anyone use them? Are they solid? Are they really genuinely good at being one-size-fits-all with the padding? They looked pretty impressive from the little promo video. But I suppose that if something didn't look nice in its own promo video, someone at the company would be doing an awful job.

Warhammer 40,000 | Games Workshop Webstore

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: GW Cases
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 02:14:17 PM »
My LGS has several of the cases laid out where you can open them and check them out.  They are actually pretty nice in how they are set up for non-vehicles.  They seem they would work better at protecting models than the old slots they had.  The owner pulled some of his display models, ranging in size, and put them into the case to demonstrate.  I would recommend getting them.  Just wish I could say that I had money to buy one.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 04:01:25 PM »
One of my two old cases finally bit the bullet, so I'm most likely going to adopt one of the new cases when I have the funds to do so.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 04:04:35 PM »
I still have my original cases, 16 years later.  I will say this, GW build those things to last!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »
I primarily use the older cloth like large bag they sold for $100.  I've had it for close to ten years and it is showing it's age.   I am considering buying some of these cases.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 07:27:59 PM »
I bought a strong tote [flip top with interlocking lid] and filled it with foam padding, and put some thin plywood layers in between foam layers. Glued the foam to the plywood, so that it wouldn't slide off when I took the layers out of the tote.

I have a Vendetta / tank level, another tank / sentinel level, and an infantry tray on top. Worked out well, and only cost about $40 to make.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 09:21:24 PM »
Still haven't figured out if I want to pick up this game again, although I am leaning towards grabbing six jetbikes or so to paint up for fun.

I was looking around GW's site and saw some cases that are pretty unlike any I've seen before though. Does anyone use them? Are they solid? Are they really genuinely good at being one-size-fits-all with the padding? They looked pretty impressive from the little promo video. But I suppose that if something didn't look nice in its own promo video, someone at the company would be doing an awful job.

Warhammer 40,000 | Games Workshop Webstore

Most of the GW cases I've seen are for smaller armies and have used the egg shell foam. They may have improved since then, however it looks like you are in the USA, so you have a lot of third party cases to choose from, here's one off the top of my head.

Battle Foam

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 10:37:23 PM »
I own a battle foam case and I bought the crusade case. I Like them both but they are very different.  I have a ton of infantry models sitting around everywhere so I put them all in the crusade case and they all fit.  I Like that the zig zag pattern means my spikey dark Eldar and my get knights with halbreds all fit.  It doesn't fit vehicles well. It will fit a few.  I swap whole squads out between the crusade case and the battle foam case as needed. I almost feel like it was meant for fantasy.  Legions of infantry and then a few big models. It won't fit books, templates, or dice either.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Temperance

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 12:26:11 AM »
Hmm. So it sounds like it might not fit jetbikes, vypers, and assorted eldar tanks all that well?

Good to know before I went out and bought it. I'll see if I can try it down in person somewhere maybe, and have a first hand look. Thanks for the heads up, and comments everyone.

Offline Mr Draken

• Armies: Saim-Hann, White Scars, Space Wolves, Catachans.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 08:37:37 AM »
That kind of makes me sad... was looking at these as an option for my eldar army transport wise..... might look around for a vid or something for eldar model transport in the new cases, see what i can find...
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 09:20:43 AM »
I still have my case from their first run 16 odd years ago. The thing's been abused to all hell... left in the rain, frozen on the deck, hit by a car... Still good. For infantry, anyway. I usually have to carry my vehicles seperately, and have been considering some Battlefoam options for the job, but for infantry I've found the GW cases more than get the job done.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 11:19:21 AM »
Hmm. So it sounds like it might not fit jetbikes, vypers, and assorted eldar tanks all that well?

Good to know before I went out and bought it. I'll see if I can try it down in person somewhere maybe, and have a first hand look. Thanks for the heads up, and comments everyone.

White Dwarf 60 shows the Crusader Case with a Blood Angles army fitted inside it.

The army is made up of 100 Space marines, 10 Terminators, 6 Dreadnoughts, 1 Land Raider and a Stormraven.

One of the four trays of the case is big enough to hold the six Dreadnoughts and five Terminators. Another tray holds more than forty Space marines.

Looks like it could easily hold the Vypers and Jet Bikes to me. As for the tanks I suppose it depends on how many you have.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!