News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Wraithlord for Iyanden PoC  (Read 17470 times)

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
Wraithlord for Iyanden PoC
« on: December 26, 2008, 12:43:35 PM »
Hey there everyone,

Links to previous thread:

Waveserpent
Farseer

with the Waveserpent finished its time to start another project for the PoC and luckily I got a Wraithlord yesterday in my horde of Christmas presents!! yaaaay! double yay because I wasnt expecting one.

Some of you may have already seen these pics on the Path of the Warrior thread in the Eldar forums and I will post updates in there aswell but after speeking to Starky I think this needs its own thread.

Wraithlord 'Oloessai' built and converted yesterday... bits of him have been left unglued for ease of painting. (he is now primed white but I dont think we need to be showing pics of him with his primer coat)

I wanted to make him nice and dynamic because its such a wonderful model.. the first one I had of the new kits I made as shown on the box in the most god awfully boring position and I feel as if its a wasted model... Ive never even finished it.  this one I think has a really intimidating yet dynamic pose and somewhere on this forum I have seen someone combine the guns to make a combi-weapon style look which I thought was genious, so that has influenced the design of this one.  he is armed with 2 flamers, a missile launcher and Shuricannon...

the combi gun has, since these pics, been given attention to with some green stuff around the grip/trigger and shuricannon feed to finish it, this took forever purely making it as smooth and flat as possible with no tool marks othersiwe it would ruin the sleek look of the weapons.

The base is looking kinda tatty in the pics but it has been primered black and wont photograph well at all at the moment so I will wait till thats painted before I start showing pics of it. It should help really pop the Wraithlord when its finished but its at a very basic stage right now. I love having the models interacting with a scenic base.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2009, 06:35:03 AM by Valar »

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
Re: Wraithlord for Iyanden PoC
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 12:56:53 PM »
Hey, I very like the pose, very 'soldieresque', the guy's seems to be observing the battlefield after some hard action, very action movie pose I'd say, me likes. :)

I also like the fact that this pose seems to convey the soldier's weariness as well as vigilance, from a Wraithlord's PoV it may be a unconscious reflex from his old life, very good stuff.

Continue the good work Valar, I'll keep a close watch on this thread. - Also, I have myself the non-assembled Wraithlord... Seems that you just gave me the inspiration for the pose he'll be built, thanks! ;D

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 01:26:24 PM »
Dude, hurry up and paint that thing, I did name him after all D:

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 01:45:38 PM »
Hahaha yeah this is true...

Now now calm down matey.... its getting painted but im taking my time over it... Im not going to ruin a beautiful model just to get it done... Im going to do it well... Im sure you'd much rather look at a well painted model than a rushed one wouldnt you??

Offline -Φ Ulfhedinn Φ- Servant of the Lord of Dark Delights

• Juggernaught of Fornication
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 09:30:06 PM »
Nice work Valar!

Combi weapons was an idea i was toying with as well but never was really sold on, you did a pretty good job  ;)

As for any repositioning of the legs from the knee i hope you will GS the join so it looks flush. I had to go back and redo my first WL conversion and it does look a lot better now, it was just a thing that irked me about mine.

-Ulfhedinn-
"The very touch of our god's breath overwhelms mortal senses with the scent of delight... the slightest purr of our god's voice is enough to stimulate the senses into eternal and blissful oblivion. To the followers of Slaanesh the mortal world is grey and insipid compared to the sensual paradise that is the master's affection."

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 04:55:54 AM »
No I wasnt going to I actually like how it looks right now, if you think about it the way the model is made when the leg is bent like it is there would be a gap there... but we shall see as time goes on with this things are never set in stone.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #6 on: January 4, 2009, 01:30:47 PM »
UPDATE:

The base is finished and I love it.  It was built up using broken chunks of polystyrene which I had previously dipped in a PVA and sand mix to get a gravelly/rocky feel to them.  The Razor wire is GW's razor wire and its a very good product, you get a decievingly large amount of it for what it looks like you get. 

It was painted starting with scorched brown, charadon granite and then finally dheneb stone.  The metal plates founds laying ruined under heaps of mud are boltgun metal with about 6 washes of badab black.

The WL its self is at a very basic stage having just been washed with yellow ink and the ribbing between the joints have been blacked in.

Offline Zeller

• Clark 15B, Stop'em Dead.
    • Gallery of my various W.I.P.s
« Reply #7 on: January 4, 2009, 03:02:17 PM »
What primer did you use?

Offline Dunedain

• Distance..out of reach...just a hair's breath away
« Reply #8 on: January 4, 2009, 03:18:32 PM »
Cool combi gun
We passed upon the stairs. He spoke of was and when. Although i wasn't there, he said i was his friend. which came as a surprise

I spoke into his eyes "I thought you died alone, a long long time ago."

He laughed "Oh no, not me, we never lost control, you're face to face, with the man who sold the world"

Quote from: Warfare;45947
Thank you Captain Politically Correct.
To survive in this world, one must be as mad as a hatter...thankfully, i am

I will kill the pedobears.All of them. Forever

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
« Reply #9 on: January 4, 2009, 03:45:51 PM »
the pose is well..frickin' awesome :D

I really like it + i cant wait to see it finished.

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #10 on: January 4, 2009, 04:22:14 PM »
Much as it makes me feel ill to say it... I love the Wraithlord model, and you've done it justice. Cracking pose.

Now excuse me as I eat a porcupine as self punishment...

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #11 on: January 4, 2009, 04:41:15 PM »
What primer did you use?

GW skull white.  I think this is the best white primer by far...ive always had very good results wit it.

Thanks for all the compliments so far... its all very good motivation to continue with it.

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #12 on: January 4, 2009, 05:13:06 PM »
Ha-ha! Excellent, an update! Good work there Valar, prime yellow's all good an shinny, base is awesome, I quite like it. :)

Interesting comment there about the barbed wire, I've never got around to buy some, although there's some at the local store. I like the way it look, so I guess I'll go get it now.

Thanks for all the compliments so far... its all very good motivation to continue with it.
There are other means too... [unroll the flogging whip]

Now, just keep up the good work,

Starky ;)

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #13 on: January 4, 2009, 05:26:44 PM »
Ha-ha! Excellent, an update! Good work there Valar, prime yellow's all good an shinny, base is awesome, I quite like it. :)
There are other means too... [unroll the flogging whip]

Starky ;)

HaHa yeah that could work too.... although it could serve as more of a distraction than motivation  ;) I guess we'll see

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
« Reply #14 on: January 5, 2009, 04:30:48 AM »
I think we'll have to steer this discussion back onto the Wraithlord and away from what Valar gets up to behind closed doors. :D

I love that base, man, although it's gonna look really weird if we ever play on anything BUT Cambridge's green board (the one we played on the last time where I had all the bad dice rolls and you comprehensively thrashed me). Were you inspired by World War I era trench warfare by any chance?

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #15 on: January 5, 2009, 06:23:59 AM »
I think we'll have to steer this discussion back onto the Wraithlord and away from what Valar gets up to behind closed doors. :D

Haha yeah probably for the best... dont want to sully this board too much ;)

I love that base, man, although it's gonna look really weird if we ever play on anything BUT Cambridge's green board (the one we played on the last time where I had all the bad dice rolls and you comprehensively thrashed me). Were you inspired by World War I era trench warfare by any chance?

yeah I think I was inspired by WW1 trenches, I wanted the mud and razor wire to look like it had been churned up by artillery fire, and its a nice contrast, the stagnancy of trench warfare against the speed and efficiency of Eldar warfare.

and it shouldnt look too bad against other boards... apart from ice maybe but you can never make a base that will fit in with every board you play on... and it just means we will have to play on that board more often so i can kick your ass some more hehe... i believe a grudge match is in order??

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #16 on: January 5, 2009, 06:50:23 AM »
Good to see your back at the paint booth there Valar... lots of updates please, and do give some serious discriptions of your colours used, techniques etc... as many could learn from your efforts.

Thanks in advance and so far, its looking great.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

• Ancient
« Reply #17 on: January 5, 2009, 07:56:35 AM »

Haha yeah probably for the best... dont want to sully this board too much ;)

yeah I think I was inspired by WW1 trenches, I wanted the mud and razor wire to look like it had been churned up by artillery fire, and its a nice contrast, the stagnancy of trench warfare against the speed and efficiency of Eldar warfare.

and it shouldnt look too bad against other boards... apart from ice maybe but you can never make a base that will fit in with every board you play on... and it just means we will have to play on that board more often so i can kick your ass some more hehe... i believe a grudge match is in order??
Let's move this to MSN, I'm on most days.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #18 on: January 6, 2009, 04:27:22 AM »
Update:

So I put my nose to the painting grindstone yesterday and I got the majority of the blue on the WL done.  I dont have pics of the last stage of highlighting yet because the light failed on me before i got a chance to take another set of pics yesterday.  Im hoping to take some mor today so I can decide whether another highlight stage is necessary or not.

I started off with 2 thin coats of regal blue to get a strong smooth and dark basecoat to work with.  I really like the Iyanden colour scheme when the blue is dark almost brooding, as its such a cool contrast with the light yellow.  I learnt this whilst I was painting the waveserpent so now im doing it on everything.  with the WL, Like all Iyanden units colour balance is crucial so that the model isnt overpoweringly yellow and cartoony and equally is not so blue that the yellow is overlooked.  I took some time to decide which areas should be blue.  (the leg is pinned so i can take it off so i can get a brush into all the awkward areas.

gradual highlights were started, (dont know how well you can see them here because theyre still quite dark) using a mix of regal and ultramarine blue.

more ultramarine blue added to the mix (about 40:60 regal to UM blue)

pics of the next stages will come soon... I have not covered all the steps with the blue yet... there is still one photo update with the blue to come, possibly 2 if i decide it needs to be lighter.  hope your enjoying this thread, keep checking back for updates and hope to hear your comments.

Offline Khal Ynnoth

• Death before Dis-honour
  • Armies: Eldar - Saim Hann, Space Marines - Storm Crows
« Reply #19 on: January 6, 2009, 03:31:36 PM »
Wow this guy is really awesome, you've managed to get the blue and the yellow really smooth and the contrast between the really darkl blue and the yellow is pretty much perfect, I must say I'm truly impressed.
The pose is wonderful too, very natural like a warrior taking stock before he makes his next move like Starrakatt said a subconcious pose from before the Wraithlord's death.

"I Khal Ynnoth of the Dyanni Muathi hereby make a blood oath by my Kin, by my Clan and by my Craftworld to defend and uphold the honour of our brothers of Saim Hann and their allies.
Their cause is ours, this blood seals our fates forever!"
 - Khal Ynnoth of the Dyanni Muathi