News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Iyanden (sort off) VS Sons of Jaghatai / 1850 Pts / Gamma  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
Iyanden (sort off) VS Sons of Jaghatai / 1850 Pts / Gamma
« on: January 24, 2007, 11:07:45 AM »
Or how my Wraithguard never got a chance to shoot!

A battle that I most anticipated. I must confess that I succumbed to temptation and somewhat tailored my list for that game. I plead guilty. ;D

Iyanden:

HQ: 300 Pts
     -Farseer: SStones, RoWarding, Fortune, Doom

ELITE: 196 Pts
        -Harlies: X 7, TMaster with PWeapon, ShSeer, 5 Kisses

TROOP: 698 Pts
          -Wraithguard: X 10, SSeer, Enhance
          -Avengers: X 10, Exarch, Bladestorm, Defend
           + WSerpent: Twin Shurican, underslug Shurican, SStone, VEngine

HEAVY: 360 Pts
          -Wraithlord: Scatter Laser, Starcannon
          -WWalker: Shurican X 2
          -FPrism: Underslug Shurican, Hfield, SStone

FAST: 296 Pts
        -WSpiders: X 7, Exarch with 2X Deathspinner, Withdraw
        -Vyper: Scatter Laser
        -Vyper: Shurican

TOTAL: 1 850 Pts

Sons of Jaghatai: (Traits:Be swift as the wind & Death before dishonour)

HQ: 295 Pts
    -Force Commander: Bike, THonors, LClaw, Plasma Pistol, Frags/Kraks
    -Reclusiarch: Bike, THonors, Bolt Pistol, Frags

ELITE: 210 Pts
        -Attack Bikes: X 3, Multi-Meltas X 3, Skilled Rider skill, Tank Hunter skill

TROOP: 1025 Pts
          -Bike squad: X 5, MBombs, 2 Plasma Guns, 1 Attack bike with HBolter, Vet Sergeant with PFist & Bolt Pistol, SRider skill
          -Bike squad: X 5, MBombs, 2 Plasma Guns, 1 Attack bike with HBolter, Vet Sergeant with PFist & Bolt Pistol, SRider skill
          -Scout Bikes: X 5, MBombs, Vet Sergeant with PFist & Bolt Pistol, SRider skill

HEAVY: 0 Pts

FAST: 320 Pts
        -Land Speeder Tornado X 2
        -Land Speeder Tornado X 2

TOTAL: 1850 Pts

-We rolled for sides and I won the roll. Rolled for mission and got Secure & Control with 3 Objective Counters (1 center left, 1 straight center, 1 center right)

The point of view is from Eldar side(south).

-Left South Quarter: Level 3 Silo Complex in corner, Lev 2 Warehouse (area) south center.
 -Right South Quarter: A Lev 3 Hill in the center of quarter, Lev 2 ruined Wall extreme right center.
 -Left North Quarter: A Lev 3 (12'' across) Pump Station in the left corner.
 -Right North Quarter: A clutter of small building/barracks on the right corner.
 -North Center, across both Quarter is a long Rocky Crest (Lev 3 hill).
 -Straight Center of the board sit a large Lev 3 Hill.

Eldar Deployment: Ok, I deployed the SLaser Vyper behind the Ruined Wall on the right.
 Everything else was deployed on the left corner, the War Walker and the footsluggers in or behind the Warehouse and the tanks with the other Vyper behind the Silo Complex. Most of my army was hidden exept for the Wraithlord, WWalker, Avatar and Wguard in heavy cover.

SM Deployment: He deployed all his army but 3 squads behind the long Rocky Crest in center board. 1 unit of Bikes behind the Pump Station, 1 unit of Bikes with Commander Extreme right behind the Barracks and the Scout Bikes in the open, near the central Crest.

As he had less units than me, he spread his deployment to thwart me bunching up on one side and refusing a flank. I didn't even try to do it as he was much faster than me anyway.

-We rolled for scouting moves, I won and moved my Walker slightly to the left inside the Warehouse. He moved his Scouts a full 12''torward my hidden Vyper on my right flank.

-We then rolled for first turn, he won the roll and wisely let me go first.

------------------

... I'm so (insert generic swearing here)! >:(  :'(  I just throwed 3 hours of painfull and carefull typing to the warp by hitting the ''Delete'' button while saving the report.
   Too bad, but you will have only a short account of this one.

---TURN 1---

ELDAR: Most of my army stay in cover in & behind the Warehouse and Silo Complex. Skimmers go SMS. Shooting is mainly innefective. Take 1 wound off an Heavy Bolter Attack Bike behind the Pump Station. Pfff...

SM: His 3 squadron of Bikes Turboboost right and south. The Scouts kill the SLaser Vyper. The Attack Bikes, 2 LSpeeder squadrons go 12'' south. Between them, they manage to kill the Warwalker. Baaad...

---TURN 2---

ELDAR: Reposionning of units. Concentrated fire kill 2 Speeders, stun 1, destroy the Asscannon of another.

SM: Commander unit, Bike unit and Scout turboboost south center of the table. The damaged Speeder flee 24'', never to be seen again behind cover, sitting of the right objective. Chappy unit hide north of the big central Hill. Attack Bikes manage to stun the Serpent.

---TURN 3---

ELDAR:  Reposionning of units in cover. Serpent go north and empty, the Avengers kill the stunned Speeder. Prism make 1 wound on the Attack Bikes. Wraithlord & Spiders kill 3 Bikes. Spiders lose 1 to jump back.

SM: Commander unit, Scouts & Damaged Bike unit kill only 1 Spider due to Fortune. Attack Bikes shakes the Serpent. Chappy's unit move & shoot the Avengers, failing to kill any due to cover.

---TURN 4---

ELDAR: Farseer die to PotW. Avengers remount and Serpent turboboost after the fleeing Speeder. Spiders finish off the damaged Bike squadron and jump back. Avatar and Lord takes 3 wounds on the Chaplain unit with shooting( 1 kill, 1 on the Chappy and 1 on the Attack Bike). WG & Harlies go for the left objective. Prism & Vyper kill 2 Attack Bikes, who fall back.

SM: Attack Bike regroup, drive 1'' behind the Serpent and blow it off, killing the Avengers. Chaplain unit drives off the firefight and far to the right. The Commander unit + the Scouts kill 4 Spiders by shooting, leaving the Exarch.

---TURN 5---

ELDAR: Prism kill 2 Bikes from the Chaplain unit. Vyper fail to kill the Attack Bike.
The Spider Exarch goes north to deny VP's. Wraithlord kill 1 Scout Bike. Wguard & Harlies sit on objective. Avatar goes to the center objective.

SM: Attack Bike destroy the Vyper. Scouts turboboost in the south left corner. Commander unit turboboost to the right. Chaplain unit turboboost right/south, out of sight behind central hill.

---TURN 6---

ELDAR: Spider Exarch fail Last Man Standing and flee. Avatar sit on central objective. Harlies sit on left objective. The Wraithguard goes south and left to make a wall of themselve to block incoming paths for turboboosting Scouts.
   Prism kill last Attack Bike. Wraithlord kill Chaplain by cutting angles.

SM: Commander squadron turboboost to contest central objective. Scout squadron goes for the left objective but cannot get within 6'' due to Wraithguard obstruction. Damaged Speeder hold the right objective.

---END of GAME---

---RESULT: DRAW (needed 200 VPs difference to pull a victory)

----VICTORY POINTS: ELDAR: 926 VPs from kills + 1 counter worth 616 VPs.
     Units left on table: -Avatar (unwounded)
                               -Harlies (full unit)
                               -Wraithguard (full unit)
                               -Wraithlord (unwounded)
                               -Prism (undamaged)

SM: 743 VPs from kills + 1 counter worth 616 VPs.
                                -Commander (unwounded)
                                -Bike squadron (full unit)
                                -Bike squadron (under half)
                                -Scout Bikes (-1 model)
                                -Land Speeder squadron (weapon destroyed, 1/2 unit)

Basically, he circled my army from the right, trying to avoid my firepower and try to stab me in the back (Which didn't work 'cause of my use of constraining LOS terrain and interferring Spiders) while avoiding close combat at all cost.

Myself I manoeuvered my footsluggers in a tight formation, keeping close to the board edge while possible to avoid being surrounded while my skimmers got to the hunt.
   The Avatar & Wraithlord covered the Wraithguard flanks and the Harlies watched their collective back under VoT, ready to counter-charge.

The way I see it, he got scared of me very lethal close range firepower and counter charge unit (Hey! With so low a model count, he was right, I think :P) Maybe he could have pulled up a victory with a massive charge but I think it improbable.

GAME NOTES: ELDAR: -Could have been more aggressive with my mobile firebase.
                                   -Could have concentrated more my firepower.
                                   -Putting my SLaser Vyper alone on my right flank was an error :-[
                                   -Losing the Avenger's Serpent by back shooting was baaad!
                                   -Losing the Farseer to PotW was boring :(
                                   -Had a LOT of 5's & 6's on dices! ;D
                                   -And that cost me my Farseer and Spider Exarch! ::)

SM (IMHO): -Lost Speeders early due to rashness (and bad luck).
                                   -Lost 2 full turn of fighting with 1/2 his army re-positionning.
                                   -Got under average rolls for wounding and damages but good ones for armor saves.
                                   -Got a real lucky shot with that Attack Bike fall back, putting him in position to kill the Serpent from behind! :D

All in all, a good and fun game and with ZERO close combat!

And know what? I forgot with his ''Death Before Dishonour'' Chapter Trait. One on two chance to have one turn more. Probably would have won me the game... bah... ;D

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Redlion

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
Re: Iyanden (sort off) VS Sons of Jaghatai / 1850 Pts / Gamma
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 04:34:44 AM »
Sorry to hear you lost 3 hours of detail on this report man. That sucks.
You did get a draw, he was the one that was lucky on that one though.

Hmm, it was an interesting battle to say the least. I do have a few questions though.

Were all the objective counters in the open ?

Were any in cover. If so from where you deployed how far to the nearest counter ? Then from there the other ones ?

The reason I am asking this is because if your wraithguard would have been a little more centrally located, you would have better chances of firing their weapons.
This may not have worked out to your advantage in this game however. Because as you stated, he definitely had overall speed, and range on you.

However, if that central area had some decent cover, if your wraithguard unit got in there, whew wee. That would have livened this battle up big time. Maybe start moving them after you got rid of those landspeeders.

As good as you were rolling this game, hmm I wonder how that would have turned out at least.

It sucks your farseer died, especially that way, that sucks big time man. That is just such a lame way for our farseers to die it isn't even funny. (curses at GW).

His melta's would have been useless on the Avatar, lol.

He still had a tough army though. If you would have only gotten to fire your wraithguard, man. People going to the warp big time with your high rolls.

All his guys were at toughness 5, except his speeders, and every time he boosted inv saves. Its almost like our old seer councils on jetbikes no ? Thats pretty powerful.

I think you did good man. I am surprised he got your serpent as well. That stunk, because it would have possibly been better to leave your avengers out of the serpent.

He closed up that hatch didn't he ? He could easily have done that though with another unit as well. I think that might have been a slight oversight on your part for letting that happen though. Perhaps you could have ran your avengers back toward your wraithguard, to have them or other units covering them. I wasn't there so I am guessing here, so don't take offense if I'm not right on it.

If it was not possible well he would have to have 2 separate units to get them both, and possibly sparing your serpent, which could have damaged him anyway. That could have also helped your spiders out to. You auto losing that avenger squad hurt like hell man. That could have possibly won you the game too.

However, maybe I am wrong on that, you will have to replay that in your mind to see if that could have possibly helped you. That was his turn 4, thats also the turn your spiders got hosed. He ran his chappy to the extreme right. Thats also the turn your farseer died. 4th turn was a critical turn in this game.

Could that have helped you if you would have left your avengers out SK ?

Regardless, I think you did good, and it was a good game. The marine player was a little lucky in my opinion that you did not win.

Thanks for posting the rep as well, and good luck on your future battles.

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
Re: Iyanden (sort off) VS Sons of Jaghatai / 1850 Pts / Gamma
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 10:43:39 AM »
   1. Were all the objective counters in the open ?

2. Were any in cover. If so from where you deployed how far to the nearest counter ? Then from there the other ones ?
1. The one in the left was in the open, the center one was in terrain on the Big Hill and the right one was behind a LOS blocking piece of terrain.
2. I deployed to the left (About 15'' from the objective) because of cover opportunity + I wanted to be sure to have a secure flank to prevent him from surrounding me and getting to my Harlies with his twin double tap bolters. To lose my Harlies was probably to lose my Guard as well: Chaplain combined with Powerfist attacks = bad. But maybe I was over cautious... :-\

The reason I am asking this is because if your wraithguard would have been a little more centrally located, you would have better chances of firing their weapons.
   This may not have worked out to your advantage in this game however. Because as you stated, he definitely had overall speed, and range on you.
   You may well be right on this. I played a very defensive battle, which slowed me down cut me options in that game.
   With insight, I think I overacted from my last game with a Slaanesh Deamon Bomb, where my Guard got grinded in CC and put so much CC buffers and threats between them and his force that he didn't even want to come close.
   That cutted my options a lot. :D

1.  It sucks your farseer died, especially that way, that sucks big time man. That is just such a lame way for our farseers to die it isn't even funny. (curses at GW).

2. His melta's would have been useless on the Avatar, lol.
1. Yeah, it sucks really bad... :'(
2. In his first round of shooting, the only targetable units he had with his Speeders and Melta Bikes were the Warwalker and the Fortuned Avatar. I think he just decided not to try his luck! :)
   He had a pathetic first round of shooting. Just look at how much firepower a 40 Pts Walker soaked! (Hull Down, man! ;D)

He still had a tough army though. If you would have only gotten to fire your wraithguard, man. People going to the warp big time with your high rolls.
   Lol! He was quite horrified with my rolls moving trough terrain. It just seemed that I had at last a 5 or 6 on all my rolls!
   The non fire opportunities for my Guard were his doing, tough (+ my shyness to risk them to CC). In that view, he played well and had the fight his way. He just didn't had the firepower to overhelm me, after his Speeders died.
   It was essentially a shooting match, with about 950 pts doing no damages at all from my side (Well, the Avatar killed 1).
   But they did grab objectives. ::)

I am surprised he got your serpent as well. That stunk, because it would have possibly been better to leave your avengers out of the serpent.
   Well, THAT was a piece of bad luck. Bah! Serves me right for my good shooting! :P
   Had not his Attack Bike falled back, or had I killed it, he could not have closed the hatch nor shot me from behind. The only other unit that could have blocked the exit was the Chaplain squadron if he'd turboboost.
   I should have waited to kill that Melta Bike before going to the right objective... My bad :'(

1. Perhaps you could have ran your avengers back toward your wraithguard, to have them or other units covering them.
    2. I wasn't there so I am guessing here, so don't take offense if I'm not right on it.
   He had Heavy Bolter Attack Bikes in his squadrons, that's why I kept them in.
No offense taken ;D.

1. That could have also helped your spiders out to.
2. You auto losing that avenger squad hurt like hell man. That could have possibly won you the game too.
1. Absolutely. But I felt they were needed elsewhere.
2. That WOULD have won me the game. Not losing my Farseer to the Warp, too. :D

1. That was his turn 4, thats also the turn your spiders got hosed. He ran his chappy to the extreme right. Thats also the turn your farseer died. 4th turn was a critical turn in this game.
   2. Could that have helped you if you would have left your avengers out SK ?
1. That was also were he got down to 4 scoring units and decided to cut his losses... Apart for the Serpent thing, I was clearly outshooting him at this point.
   The Spiders died but they occupied him for2 full turns AND almost killed a squadron single handedly. For me, they did their job. :)

2. In light of what happened? Oh yeah! ;D

Starky

P.S. -I'm so mortified to have forgotten that Chapter Trait for a turn more... ::)
          -Know what? I'll make sure to have a rematch! ;D
              -Next game this Friday: Dark Eldar (Never played them, ever, ever...)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 10:57:18 AM by Starrakatt, the left hand of Khaine »

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.