News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Lance vs Quantum Shields  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Rampart

Lance vs Quantum Shields
« on: January 8, 2014, 11:50:13 PM »
Does the Lance rule trump Quantum Shields?
I thought it does, but an eldar opponent of mine read it and thought maybe it shouldn't since most necron vehicles are AV 11 with a bonus from the shields.

Offline Milford Cubicle

• Might I enquire about your spoons?
  • Armies: Necrons, Tyranids, Blood Angels
Re: Lance vs Quantum Shields
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2014, 03:53:35 AM »
I think Lances work on Quantum Shields just like on any other armour. A vehicle with Quantum Shields has AV13 for all intents and purposes, and Lance weapons count that as AV12, just like all other armour.

Or did you mean that Quantum Shielding would not work at all against Lance weapons, meaning our vehicles would be AV11? I can't find anything supporting that interpretation. Also, thinking it like "the vehicle has AV11, so the lance has no effect. But after that the shields raise the AV to 13" seems a bit backwards to me.
Strange movements at the graveyard detected... Is the Necron board coming back to life?!

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Lance vs Quantum Shields
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
I believe it can be resolved in an "order of operations" way. Quantum Shielding increases the AV of the vehicle [Necron Codex, pg 82] and when it is hit by a Lance weapon, the Lance characteristic kicks in, which then treats the AV of the vehicle as a 3rd value.

The Quantum Shielding is "constantly" in effect, despite flavour text to the contrary. The Lance effect only occurs under certain situations, which the Quantum Shielding creates, so the Lance rule has something to interact with.

Blech, sometimes not quoting stats is difficult. ;)