News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Penal Legion Troops: Need IDeas and examples if you please  (Read 1205 times)

Offline travh20

Penal Legion Troops: Need IDeas and examples if you please
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:41:12 PM »
hello, I am interested in making a squad or two of penal troops.  I have combed the boards and seen the Catachan/Cadian combo (my army is Cadian) and I really liked the empire flagellants used as penal troops too.  I have however not seen any of these anywhere.  Does anyone have any models they use as penals that use cadian/catachan or flagellants?  Just looking for some inspiration/ideas.  Thanks.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: Penal Legion Troops: Need IDeas and examples if you please
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 09:40:05 AM »
One thing you can do is buy a box of WHFB militia (free company) models. Then using the spare weapons arms from your many sprues of IG las guns give them 40k weapons. Of course using some of the many extra hand weapons that come in the militia box to give them that "all in" look (just in case you roll well) and you have some great looking penal legionairs.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440023a&prodId=prod20048&rootCatGameStyle=
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 09:43:40 AM by SKEETERGOD »
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Blackveil

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 09:56:27 AM »
It fits in with my army fluff (they aren't Penal Legion in the fluff, they just recruited soldiers from a local hive city they liberated), which I won't post here for fear of breaking the screen (I wrote a 5 page long background "book" for tournaments.)

But basically, my main army is Cadians, and I use Catachans for penal legion. Just make sure to give them lots of knives and scars. You could even paint their clothes orange, to push the idea even more.
2011 Grim Open GT Best General

Offline The Black Dahlia Murder

• NRPH forever...
« Reply #3 on: January 1, 2011, 04:45:41 PM »
Free company? Really? If you had those guys running around the field glued with lasguns on them, they would look like pirates with lasguns. Flagellants are great models. I am working on some to be something for my IG army using flagellants. They have that nice 'crazy' look to them. They have the right amount of muscles to them. Just glue on a helmet on them and some ammo pouches to make them and they are good to go.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2011, 04:47:35 PM by The Black Dahlia Murder »