News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Imperial Guard Chain of Command  (Read 62503 times)

Offline Goyder

• Workshy Lord Moddissar General, The King of Tanks
  • Ancient
  • Australian
Imperial Guard Chain of Command
« on: May 22, 2006, 01:39:58 AM »
CoC FAQ

Greetings

As you may or may not have noticed, certain posters on 40k Online have Custom Titles that correspond to military ranks.  These posters are members of the 40th Corps(Imperial Guard Forum) Chain of Command.

How does one become a member of the Chain of Command?

Simply put, you must be recommended by current officer, and then approved by one of the Imperial Guard Forum Moderators, who will give you a Custom Title and add you to the Chain of Command.

There are certain qualities that we look for in posters, such as...

• Follow the 40k Online Rules, and know them.  We do not accept people who break the Forum Rules, and doing so repeatedly will be detrimental to your chances of becoming an officer.
  • Know the IG FAQ, and read the Stickies.  The Stickies and FAQ are there for a reason - For you to read them.  We expect everyone to have knowledge of the information there regardless of any rank.
  • Don't take the rules into your own hands.  It is not your job to confront someone for breaking the 40k Online rules, that's why we have Moderators.  Every post has a 'Report to Moderator' link, use that instead of replying.
  • Be a well-mannered and intelligent poster.  Treat others with courtesy, and use proper grammar when you post.  Despite the fact that you will more than likely never know most of the people here, they are still as much of a person as you are.
  • Show above-average knowledge of the Imperial Guard.  This is what will make you an officer, the other criteria just makes sure that you understand the proper conduct befitting an officer.  Get yourself noticed by providing solid advice to other's armylists, giving your input during tactical discussions, and have a good understanding of the Guard's background and fluff.
  • Contribute to the Imperial Guard Frontpage.  This is simple to do, and is one of the best ways to get noticed by officers.  Information on how you can help is available here.
  • Don't Ask to Be an Officer!  This a sure way of not getting a commission.  We will find you, not the other way around.

What are the duties of an officer?

The most important role of an officer is to set an example.  Officers are chosen from the best posters on the Imperial Guard Forum, and are expected to be role models.  They are to hold themselves to the conduct required to become an officer, and provide guidance to new Guard players, and critique the Vets, enhancing everyones abilities.

All officers are also expected to keep tabs not only upon each other, but upon prospective Chain of Command recruits.  All officers have the power to recommend new officers for commission or promotions for other officers. 

It is not the sole job of the Moderators to pick prospective officers!

The Mods can't be here all the time.  The Chain of Command looks out for itself, and if an officer feels that someone should be commissioned or promoted, it is their Duty to recommend them.  Remember that you yourself were recommended at some point.

How does the ranking system work?

The current system is based off both current military chain of commands and the rank structure proposed in the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer.  The current tree is as follows:

• General
  • Staff Officer
  • Colonel
  • Lt. Colonel
  • Major
  • Captain
  • Lieutenant

Other ranks may be given to retired officers of particular merit, or to Moderators. See the CoC list above for Officers awarded particular custom titles for long service. These are under the "Honourifica Imperialis" section.

What if an officer is not abiding by Forum Rules?

It is the duty of any poster, officer or not, to report an officer acting out of line to one of the IG Forum Moderators.  It is not your duty to confront them yourself.  Proper action will be taken.

Do note that bringing insubstantial charges against an officer will result in penalties to yourself.

Can I give myself a rank in my user name?

Absolutely.  This cannot be policed by the Chain of Command, and you can put any rank into your user name.  However this is frowned upon by some officers as a sign of disrespect towards the proper Chain of Command, and may decrease your chances of earning a commission.

Certain enlisted ranks, such as Trooper, Corporal and Sergeant, are perfectly fine, and can be used as a way of letting people know that you are interested in the Chain of Command.

The Most Important Aspect of the 40th Corps CoC
The Chain of Command is a rewards system for the 40kO Imperial Guard community, where the best and brightest posters here recieve Commission and a Custom Title, and the opportunity to 'rise through the ranks' so to speak.

In order to avoid complaint of favoritism, we will generally not promote people unless they are recommended by regular IG posters or members of the Chain of Command.

Current Members - You got your place because someone saw that you were fit for the position.
If you know someone who deserves the chance to be part of the CoC, recommend them to Lord Princeps ChosenMan via PM.

The Chain of Command stagnates when people aren't recommended by other officers. With the new changes to the C-O-C, i thought it best to do a brief summary here on what the new rules are.

Officers of the Chain of Command;
Their rule is to cruise the boards and insure that everything is okay, they'll keep things in line and ensure flamewars and the like don't start up. Its also up to them to report major infractions to us Moderators, and generally be helpfull members of the community (like they already are) and help people out where needed. And of course, they scout the boards for any new commissions and promotions for that they feel are deserving.

Promotion Announcements

Promotion Announcements will be in this thread.

If there are any major changes to the C.O.C, you will expect to see a Moddissar Announcement for it. We will keep you informed of any major changes, dont you worry!

Regarding the Senior Ranks

One problem that we've had with the CoC since it's conception is stagnation among the Senior ranks (Colonels and Generals).

To fix this problem, we have decided to implement a 'Distinguished Service' sector in the CoC.  Recipients of such merit from the senior ranks will be selected every once in a while to be given a personal Custom Title in line with their style of play, and removed from the CoC proper.  Of course, they will still be afforded your respect as due to Officers of the Chain of Command. This is the "Honourifica Imperialis" noted above.

« Last Edit: November 9, 2010, 08:14:38 PM by Chosen Man »
Real men fight in Tanks!

Offline Goyder

• Ancient
  • Australian
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:39:14 PM by Warhammer WHM-8D Man »
Real men fight in Tanks!

Offline Goyder

• Ancient
  • Australian
Re: Imperial Guard Chain of Command
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 11:17:19 AM »
Unspeakably Violent Rictiovarus has been promoted to Lt!

Congratulations!
Real men fight in Tanks!

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 10:42:47 AM »
BigBadOgryn has been promoted to Major.  Yay, etc...
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED

Offline [dixon]

• BANNED
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 10:58:18 AM »
Congratulations to Andromidius for reaching the rank of Spec Ops colonel.

Offline [dixon]

• BANNED
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 11:02:13 AM »
Oh and Jet is now a Captain.

Offline [dixon]

• BANNED
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 08:20:10 PM »
Welcome Ailaros to the Chain of Command as Lieutenant.

Offline [dixon]

• BANNED
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 05:46:43 PM »
Congratulations to Valhalla114 and his promotion to Captain.

Offline Goyder

• Ancient
  • Australian
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 11:30:27 PM »
And now there is proof that I do infact do stuff around here!

Congratulations to PaxImperator who has just been promoted to Colonel of the Infantry Division.
Real men fight in Tanks!

Offline Goyder

• Ancient
  • Australian
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 12:19:43 AM »
Congratulations to Mechanised for recieving a commission to the rank of Lieutenant.
Real men fight in Tanks!

Offline Goyder

• Ancient
  • Australian
« Reply #10 on: August 7, 2006, 11:36:10 AM »
Nubis has retired.

I am now the New Lord Moddissar General.

That is all.

What Really Happened [/b]

Fighting has been raging within the Dodecahedron (Imperial Guard CoC headquarters, so (mis)named due to the IG’s famous lack of geometry training and fondness of impressive sounding words) for the past few hours. Communication is sketchy but from what outsiders have managed to piece together it seems that Goyder has risen up in mutiny against his rightful commander. Eye witnesses to the initial event claim that Goyder smuggled in a cavalry saber, cunningly disguised in a bottle of gin, into Nubis’ presence before attempting to assassinate the unsuspecting Modissar General with a backhand swipe with three quarter twist and follow through (degree of difficulty 8.2). Nubis was seemingly not as oblivious as previously thought and managed to block the blow with his chest of medals. Since that time the fighting has spread. Both parties have attempting to send stand down orders to their respective commanders. So far no IG regiment has attempted to leave barracks or draw war stocks beyond ordinary training allotments.

As hostilities consumed the halls of the Dodecahedron, Colonel O’Rum immediately ordered a lockdown upon the HQs stockpiles of Tactical Nuclear Hand Gestures, and Theatre Grade Verbal Jabs. Once the possible flaming devices were under his own personal codes and authority, O’Rum dispatched his own attendants and honour guard (known as O’Rums Own be-atches) to secure the area liquor cabinets. No matter who was to win this conflict the booze supplies must be maintained! It was only after these security measures were implemented that O’Rum opened a direct communications line to his superiors.

“I say sir(s), please clarify matters?” No reply was forthcoming. O’Rum waited…..

Soon, the fighting was over and now all that was left to do was the clean up. The Dodecahedron was a smoking mess after the two sides to this conflict has clashed amongst its walls. Titans lay shattered amongst the debris. The damage not caused by the internal fighting but merely due to a savage and most unexpected valet failure. Overhead ships of the Imperial Navy circled ominously. Not out of a sense of duty or brotherhood but mainly as they liked looking at the pretty flashes and colours from the ground below.

With a sigh and an expulsion of bowel gas O’Rum levered the remains of his desk from against the wall where he’d been sheltering and commanding his post. His office was a shambles but there was nothing new in that. O’Rum had once returned from a long deployment to discover a company of Storm Troopers being accredited with hazardous environment training on his desk. In fact, O’Rum suspected they were still in there somewhere, attempting to decontaminate themselves from the residue of his coffee cup.

Silence returned to the area other than the muffled sobbing of the junior officers as they attempted to rationalize this new existence. “Quiet in the ranks,” commanded O’Rum in his usual technique of noise over substance. Shout, shout, and shout again was the standard operating procedure. “You have your orders. Our new Lord Moddissar will be according the rights and privileges of his position.”

O’Rum left his office, through a convenient hole in the wall, to report directly to the new Lord Moddissar. Such matters were best taken care of personally and quickly in these matters lest one finds themselves removed from the list labeled “reliable” and placed on the much larger list labeled “expendable.”

When O’Rum finally located him, Goyder was in the middle of burning the previous Lord Moddissar’s collection of awards and certificates. “I say sir,” began O’Rum, “may I congratulate you on your sudden and well earned…… promotion, as it were. To start the healing process I suggest we immediately launch in with a sudden round of promotions. To reward those who have proven loyal to you. By round, I mean me, and by sudden I mean only me.”

The Moddissar is dead, long live the Moddissar!
« Last Edit: August 8, 2006, 11:33:34 PM by Barr'El O'Rum »
Real men fight in Tanks!

Offline Goyder

• Ancient
  • Australian
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 10:25:02 PM »
The Following officers have been retired due to innactive service;

Or'es'o.
Dr_Ruminahui.
Terra's Guard.
Spaff.
Sirius.
Khan Doomy.

Gentlemen, when you do return - please contact me ASAP.

Excpect a lot of Staff Movement to follow.
Real men fight in Tanks!

Offline Goyder

• Ancient
  • Australian
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 03:51:50 AM »
The following Commissars have been retired due to innactive service;

Shouty.
James.
Harrison.
Corax.
Real men fight in Tanks!

Offline Goyder

• Ancient
  • Australian
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 01:11:01 PM »
The Following have been given a Commission to the rank of Lt.

Imperialnutcase
legionnaire

Congratulations.
Real men fight in Tanks!

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: September 1, 2006, 06:27:47 AM »
Congratulations to JazzNazz and Lord Solar Plexus for their commissions as lieutenants.

Offline Goyder

• Ancient
  • Australian
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 08:28:32 AM »
Gentlemen!

A nice solid round of promotions that have come through. You may have noticed that the C.O.C is looking a little bare in places at the moment.

DO NOT FEAR! We're in the process of balancing out the C.O.C.

Now, for those promotions.

I would like to congratulate SeeYounNextTuesday (lol) on his commission to Lt.

And an applause for  Ailaros on his new promotion to Captain.

Jet has deserved his new promotion to Major as well.

Now, a massive round of applause's and pats on the back for Gravis and
Chosen Man for their promotions to Col. of the Infantry divisions. Congratulations gents, I can't think of anyone more worthy.

That will be all! Dismissed!
Real men fight in Tanks!

Offline Goyder

• Ancient
  • Australian
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 08:13:00 AM »

First of all, Gravis has made the rank of Genera of the 40th Corps!

Cheesethief, you're now a Captain of the 40th Corps.

Seeyounexttuesday, you a hearby a Captain of the 40th Corps.

Dave Witham, congratulations on your commission to Lt.

And Parak, congratulations on your commission to Lt. as well.
Real men fight in Tanks!

Offline PaxImperator

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 02:29:28 AM »
A hearty 'welcome back' is in order for Commissar Harrison, who has been forcibly removed from his retirement home and issued a new bolt pistol and plenteous ammunition!

Offline PaxImperator

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 11:39:48 AM »
Welcome back to Dr_Ruminahui, has rejoined us in his capacity of lieutenant colonel.

Offline Goyder

• Ancient
  • Australian
« Reply #19 on: February 1, 2007, 04:05:00 AM »
Congratulations are in order for Parak, who has been promoted due to his excellent work regarding the new 40th Corps army.
Real men fight in Tanks!