News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Some thoughts on the new Craftworld traits  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: Some thoughts on the new Craftworld traits
« Reply #20 on: November 6, 2017, 06:27:07 PM »
Anyone have an opinion on the best craftworld for wraithlords, specifically ones that intend to get up close and personal (does anyone run them as stationary guns these days anyway?)? I am thinking either Ulthwe or Iyanden. Alaitoc might be nice for helping them get to melee, but is much less useful from then on. So eliminating that I am having trouble deciding whether it is better to shrug off more damage or fight at full strength for longer.

I think the Iyanden Craftworld Trait is really good for Wraithlords. Ulthwé is of course useful for anything, but basically Wraithlords lose 1/4 of their damage output in wounds 3-5, and 1/2 of it in wounds 1-2. With Iyanden, they don't lose anything until wounds 1-2, and at 2 wounds they're still better off than they'd be without the trait.

A single Lascannon shot can slow down your Wraithlord's move speed, ability to fight, etc. But with Iyanden, it will always take multiple heavy weapon shots to cripple your Wraithlord; the enemy might as well kill it, it's much harder to "mission kill" it.

I think if you are not running a bunch of them, Ulthwé is a generally strong trait. I have had some success with my own Ulthwé list, the extra durability really helps fragile Eldar infantry, but probably would help Wraithlords a good amount, effectively giving them like 1.5 more wounds. Not quite as good an increase in full strength operating range as Iyanden, but not nothing, either.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Tweedz

• Death is only the beginning.
« Reply #21 on: November 6, 2017, 06:47:55 PM »

I think the Iyanden Craftworld Trait is really good for Wraithlords. Ulthwé is of course useful for anything, but basically Wraithlords lose 1/4 of their damage output in wounds 3-5, and 1/2 of it in wounds 1-2. With Iyanden, they don't lose anything until wounds 1-2, and at 2 wounds they're still better off than they'd be without the trait.

A single Lascannon shot can slow down your Wraithlord's move speed, ability to fight, etc. But with Iyanden, it will always take multiple heavy weapon shots to cripple your Wraithlord; the enemy might as well kill it, it's much harder to "mission kill" it.

I think if you are not running a bunch of them, Ulthwé is a generally strong trait. I have had some success with my own Ulthwé list, the extra durability really helps fragile Eldar infantry, but probably would help Wraithlords a good amount, effectively giving them like 1.5 more wounds. Not quite as good an increase in full strength operating range as Iyanden, but not nothing, either.

That looks like a sound analysis. This question is prompted by my desire to run a bunch of them (all six of the ones I own). Iyanden may indeed work well with that saturation because my opponent can't simply cripple a lord and move to the next. They will have to work through all 60 of those T8 wounds.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #22 on: November 6, 2017, 07:21:11 PM »
Likely Iyanden with a sword, 2x Shuriken cannons and 2x catapults. Boost them with extra attacks from the relic.

Offline Tweedz

• Death is only the beginning.
« Reply #23 on: November 6, 2017, 07:39:20 PM »
Likely Iyanden with a sword, 2x Shuriken cannons and 2x catapults. Boost them with extra attacks from the relic.

That is my standard loadout in this edition. And yeah, if I could get even two in range for the relic's activation the damage would be atrocious....

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #24 on: November 7, 2017, 02:00:37 AM »
Anyone have an opinion on the best craftworld for wraithlords, specifically ones that intend to get up close and personal (does anyone run them as stationary guns these days anyway?)?

About Wraithlords there can be no two opinions, it's Iyanden. With Iyanden attribute a WL actually becomes a good unit with some serious staying power.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus