News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Aurics Pride's Projects- Corsairs, Raven Guard, Daemons and now Dark Eldar!  (Read 74393 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Prince Finniatann's Warband (Also known as another Corsair thread...)
« Reply #260 on: April 11, 2017, 01:11:25 PM »
Wow! I LOVE what you did here AP. Killer, killer paint job and I love the simple little kitbash. In fact you beat me to it! I wanted to do the same thing, but give him longer hair. Wow.. soooo nice man. Really enthused to see you painting Eldar again. Good prep for 8th edition I'd say! Fantastic stuff AP. Just killed it with the paint job, the red sword, the white cloak and the black hair are all standout details. Perfect execution. I demand more Eldar NOW!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #261 on: April 11, 2017, 02:04:57 PM »
I think the paint work is brilliant AP. The armour looks superb, the cloak (whatever you may think) is well executed and I'm a big fan of the sword as well.

Overall, the balance of the model is terrific. The colour palette is well balanced; I love the counterpoint of the red sword and Soul Stones contrasting with the cool armour and cloak tones. Just really well executed.

I am, however, unsure about the head. It may just be that I really like the Visarch head. I'm normally all for head swaps to add character to an army. In this case however, I don't think that the model screams 'Visarch, protecter of Yvraine, sword of Ynnead.' I think it just takes it a little down the road of 'Gary, Collector of Vintage Maps, Part time Barrista at Costa'...maybe I just hate that particular head. I dunno. For me, I'm just not sure it works.

But that said, it's still a terrific model and (I don't think I've seen enough of your Eldar army to make this judgement) it probably fits the aesthetic of your Eldar perfectly.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #262 on: April 11, 2017, 04:34:51 PM »
Cheers guys!

Ynnead- Yeah I'm not the biggest fan but there are so few decent un-helmeted Eldar heads available!

Cav- Cheers bud, as always you have inspired it somewhat! I did have a good look through my bitz box but this one was the best one, I did toy with a bit of greenstuff work but figured I probably won't use this model so much so less important! You may well get some more Eldar, I am however in such a "New army" mood at the moment.....

Loosh- Cheers bud! To be honest I agree a little on the head, it's certainly not my favourite but I wanted the model to fit in with my Corsairs and none of my Corsair models are particularly Dark Eldar looking. It's certainly not the best head available but there aren't many Eldar ones to choose from at the moment  :(
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #263 on: April 11, 2017, 05:05:14 PM »

So I wanted a bit less of a Dark Eldar feel to my Visarch, I think I managed to achieve this with a really simple head swap (From the Guardian sprue).
I did however make a silly mistake..... The two things that I really can't do when painting is painting white and painting cloaks...... So why I decided to do a white cloak I have no idea!!

nah it looks great. The lighter blue for the highlight was a good move too, nice work on the sword as well.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #264 on: April 11, 2017, 07:07:19 PM »
looks Micky Mouse to me, Aurics Pride. We are our own worst critiques. I agree with you and the others; there's no real decent Eldar heads. All mine ware their helmets just for that reason. The painting of the sword is just magic and the piece ties in with your army perfectly. Thank you for sharing, mate. All you fellas inspire a bloke to keep painting, (Have Dory from Finding Nemo in my head,"Just keep painting, just keep painting)... Cheers pointy ears!   

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #265 on: April 12, 2017, 06:48:28 AM »
I personally love that head choice. I love the sculpting on the face and its real easy to sculpt on some longer locks of hair, or just paint it various colors to get a different look. to me it always has felt really noble... Had to jump in there and defend the choice. Corsair bros style!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #266 on: April 12, 2017, 09:03:21 AM »
Yeah i'll defend it too. Usually i have a strong dislike for that head (it's not gritty enough for my vision of 40k), but in this instance it works nicely :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #267 on: April 12, 2017, 11:39:41 PM »
Usually I prefer the helmets but I really like how this one turned out, 2 thumbs up!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #268 on: April 13, 2017, 06:48:20 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys! As always if I'm not sure about something I always want to run it past you lot!

So I've got my Camera back and have been taking a few shots, firstly I got a couple of better shots of the Visarch, hopefully this shows the effect on the sword a bit better and shows better the contrast in the colours on the model. I'm not sure what it is but there is something sinister about the way the model is posed.

I also got a shot of him with my newly finished Wraithguard.....

These guys were my first real foray into using OSL effects and I'm pretty happy with how it's come out so far. I'm not much of a fan of the light bouncing back onto the body of the model but when nice and simple like this I really like the effect.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #269 on: April 13, 2017, 07:10:26 AM »
WOW! This is sickening! Absolutley brilliant, beautiful paint jobs. I can't believe how SICK that Wraithguard came out. Those edge highlights tho... Did you paint the shine on their helmets too? The gradient, the edge highlights, the color choices (the red cable is SOOO old school, such a nice touch on a modern paint job) just superb! One of my favorite units you've ever done... maybe my most favorite. The Visarch looks SO badass with these dudes... actually thats a really nice pairing in games... Get him that increased toughness, fearless etc. Autarch Soulshrive+WWP Agonizer Archon+Wraithguard was my 6th edition jam....

Anyway sick paint job man. Really nailed it... congrats bro on finishing such a legendary unit

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #270 on: April 13, 2017, 08:51:32 AM »
I am not a fan of the Visarch model at all (note I'm referring to the original model, not your conversion work).  It looks like a High Elf noble who has been exposed to (Chaos) Space Marine gene seed, with mutagen added for good measure.   I am very much a fan, however, of your paint work on that model and the Wraithguard.  The Visarch's crimson sword is particularly well done in my opinion, while the Wraithguard look so sleek and ghostly.  The Wraithguard heads, in particular, are amazing.  Incredibly good work all round :).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:54:17 AM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #271 on: April 13, 2017, 09:10:35 AM »
Such incredible work! I'm just in awe of your highlighting, especially your object source lighting. Simply masterful.

Keep them coming. I'd love for you to post a tutorial on some of your air brushing techniques.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #272 on: April 13, 2017, 06:22:52 PM »
Thanks guys!

@Cav- I suspected you'd like these guys! My plan is to use the Visarch model as an Archon with Webway portal. Join him in the unit, that way I get more use out of the model!

@Irisado- Thanks Iri, to be honest I wasn't a huge fan of it either. It is a bit better when you get it in your hands though. Thanks for the kind words on the painting, I tried a couple of new techniques which have seemed to work well  8)

@Dog of War- Cheers bud, to be honest when using a brush my highlighting is probably the weak point of my painting, never really been able to get the hang of freehand highlighting.
Are there any techniques in particular? More than happy to run some tutorials, been thinking of what to do for further articles!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #273 on: April 13, 2017, 07:02:18 PM »
Niiiiice! Times my last comments on these boys by ten. Amazing painting and photography. Nice choice with the black background too, Auric. Yo must be very proud.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #274 on: April 14, 2017, 08:11:45 AM »
Wowzers AP. Tremendous work! The new photos really do help to highlight the sword effect - it's really well finished and I'm very jealous that you've achieved something so good!

The Wraithguard are just next level awesome sauce. The finish is so clean, and the airbrushing is top shelf. Awesome highlights on top of that...and then you go and throw in some frankly stunning OSL? Hands down, this is your best work to date. I think anyone would be proud to have that unit in their army.

Amazing.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #275 on: April 14, 2017, 10:46:50 AM »
Wow those guys look good :) they really seem to glow against the black background
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #276 on: April 15, 2017, 07:06:14 AM »
the black back ground make them really pop. The sword just looks amazing with it.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #277 on: August 29, 2017, 05:36:06 AM »
Hey Guys!
So I've been away for a while, the changes to 8th edition really killed my momentum and a lot of my desire to play. I really don't get on with AoS and I was just finding 8th edition to be way too close to it in playstyle. I have started to come around to it as unfortunately I don't have much choice!
Over the last couple of weeks I have decided on a new project (Cav inspired) and started work by re-purposing an old Inquisitorial Land Raider to suit new purposes!
More has been purchased and quite a lot more is on the way, got a tournament in November that I am hoping to put together 2000pts of these guys for, need a lot of practice first though!
With no further ado, here is my new Emperor's Children Land Raider! On this model I attempted my first real try at freehand iconography and an attempt at OSL for headlights (not sure how I feel about it though)
DSC_2907 by Richard Mcmanus, on Flickr
DSC_2900 by Richard Mcmanus, on Flickr
DSC_2895 by Richard Mcmanus, on Flickr
DSC_2897 by Richard Mcmanus, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 05:38:18 AM by Aurics Pride »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #278 on: August 29, 2017, 05:59:09 AM »
That's fantastic work.  The shades of purple are excellent and the gold is a superb contrast.  It's going to look great on the table.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #279 on: August 29, 2017, 08:11:03 AM »
Hey AP! Like I said on my own p-log so glad to see you back on the boards my friend. I love this Land Raider... the conversions, the colors and the free hand is insane! Did you hand paint the Emperor's Children legion badge? If so thats insane work... soooo nice.

As for 8th edition I've found its really grown on me the more I played. I hope it grows on you too. Really looking forward to updates again from you my friend, its been too long. Keep us posted and share your thoughts going forward. Hobby on good sir and good luck!