News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Swearing and how it is handled  (Read 39509 times)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Swearing and how it is handled
« on: December 15, 2004, 06:21:46 AM »
Swearing and abusive language.

to start by quoting the rules

a) Please do not use racist slurs, prejudiced comments, profanity, or derogatory statements.

b) Swearing is censored to the best of our efforts, but your co-operation is of utmost importance in these matters.

c) Evading the censor by adding asterisks, or purposefully misspelling words to evade the censor is considered a higher offence than swearing normally, do not do this.
and
Our community consists of players of all ages and from all walks of life, and that includes teenagers, and even some pre-teens. That said, we would like to see less swearing on our boards, including: @#%$, pissing, tuna melt, Oh Sh*t, F**k the questions, WTF, etc. Sure, these are 'acceptable' words (because they are censored) and some even said on TV, but it doesn't mean they're right. 

And to clarify.

This site is for gamers, and gamers come in all sizes. The oldest are really old (geezers) while the youngest have hardly gotten through their first grades in school. This is why we do not allow abusive or offensive language, not to upset anyone. This also includes racial and sexists slurs, as they are aimed at hurting people. Also posting personal attacks is unacceptable. If you disagree with someone; fine. You can disagree as much as you want to, but you can’t resort to personal attacks against the person you are disagreeing with.

It is just not the way to resolve anything.

We want this to be a pleasant place for everyone, but some people resort to abusive language as they run out of proper things to say. This is where we, as a Community, must do something. There are two basic things and a helper for this.
1. Do not use, encourage the use of, or provoke anyone by using abusive language. If anyone is swearing at you it does not grant you leave to do the same back. You are just stooping to a lower level, and your offense will be the same. There is no "But he started it!"-defence here. Just control yoruself.
2. If you see anyone using abusive language, or feel that you have been slurred unjustly (in most cases it is unjustly) then, instead of commenting and biting back, use the "Report to moderator"-button at the bottom of the post. This will notify the moderator on watch, and the offender will be handled according to the severity of the breach of rules he/she/it committed.

The helper is an auto-censor that constantly sweeps the boards looking for abusive language and censoring it. This is not ancroaching on your freedom of speech, as you have agreed to follow the rules when you sign up here, and the rules prohibit the use of abusive language. You will be cencored; it is automatic, and your post will look like utter garbage, since the censor is not a nice thing. It doesn't care if you are swearing because you feel entitled to it, or just flaming away at someone because you have run out of things/arguments/proper comments. It will censor you anyway.

Now you are aware of this, and if you have any questions or comments please feel free to either respond here or PM me, and I will answer as best I can.
Thank you for your time.

Addendum: - Incidentally, to view profanity in all it's glory (i.e turn off the auto-censor for viewing posts) you need to access your Profile (button is at the top of the page) and click on the Look and Layout Preferences option in the left sidebar. Check the 'Leave Words Uncensored' box to turn off the censor. Note this only applies to you viewing posts, other people with the option still off will always see your swear words censored still. This option ensures that if you like swearing, you can have it without upsetting those people who do not like it. - Lom  ;)
« Last Edit: February 7, 2005, 10:41:31 AM by Rasmus »

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• MINF: Back on the Market
  • Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
Re: Swearing and how it is handled
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 09:18:37 AM »
I preferred the old "[I swear too much]" system myself but the new one's pretty funny ;D

Don't worry, I'm not going to abuse this one like I did last time.
Quote from: Razyus
Quote from: Salami Tadico
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.
We get it. You've got issues.

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 03:19:11 PM »
Though if you do not like the censor system, there is an option to turn it off in your profile the last time I looked...
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline Pat Khils

• Phantom Lord
  • Ancient
  • Silent Night, Bodom Night
    • Anton's Vault
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 06:27:36 PM »
Hmmmm i understand the abusive part, but what if someone just slipped a "non-fighting" word in their statement.  Would that still be considered an offence? even if it's not targeted at anyone?

I'm just asking out of curiosity, not of want to express myself in vulgar language.  :)

s i m a n o v: portfolio | deviant art

Offline Dark Flame

• I messed with the wrong farseers AGAIN, yet somehow became an unactive Mod
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 12:34:09 AM »
  Well, I'd imagine you'd want to avoid it if you could.  Anyway, I like the new swearing censors.  They'll likely make for some interesting posts in the future.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 04:22:53 AM »
Hmmmm i understand the abusive part, but what if someone just slipped a "non-fighting" word in their statement. Would that still be considered an offence? even if it's not targeted at anyone?

I'm just asking out of curiosity, not of want to express myself in vulgar language. :)
   The differene is to use a word to express an opinion forcefully, and to use the same word just to be abusive. We might tolerate the former, but will never tolerate the latter. The censor, however, never casres eitherwhichway, it just hacks the words to pieces.
   Basically don't swear, because if you do you are treading a very fine line. Sometimes you might be in the clear, but there is no point in pushing your luck. Ok? :)

Offline Pat Khils

• Phantom Lord
  • Ancient
  • Silent Night, Bodom Night
    • Anton's Vault
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 03:54:36 PM »
Haha you are right! I'm leaving the censor on, it's just too funy  ;D

s i m a n o v: portfolio | deviant art

Offline Inquisitor Yoda

• Small, Green & Spammish: Now with Extra Alcololz
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's the damn festive cheer?
    • Original Writings
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 05:13:41 PM »
why was my beslubbering post deleted?

That's right folks, ectoplasm, the force which keeps the sun orbiting around me. Learn it well.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 06:23:14 PM »
Because it was just spam. I sent you a PM about it.

And no swearing, please.

Offline Devern, The Unsung Hero

• I will slumber until called upon
  • Ancient
  • Look out Boys, I'm coming
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 01:58:23 PM »
am I the only one who finds the fact he swore in the Swearing thread, hilarious?
Quote from: Sheep
FMG is a Swiss army knife. Always a tool, but with so many functions. And he fits right in your pocket.
I cut a hole in your head, using it as a hump-hole.[/color]
We have some messed up people here..

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• MINF: Back on the Market
  • Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 02:02:49 PM »
And him obviously.
Quote from: Razyus
Quote from: Salami Tadico
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.
We get it. You've got issues.

Offline Wargamer

• Codex King, Field Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Guess what I've been doing!
« Reply #11 on: January 9, 2005, 05:48:28 PM »
I'm glad I have found how to turn that bloody-stupid thing off. As well as buggering up my fluff, it was pissing me off more than a Guard Noob ever could. ;)

Was a General of the Imperial Guard, now more of a freelance Captain sort of thing. Ish. Keeping the rank pins though, they look nice.

EOdex Harlequin Player, now and always.
Death to the fake Harlequins!

"Let's make some mischief!"
-175th Galetonian.

Offline kharn012000

• The world is flat I tell you
  • I pick fights with fighting_scars!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 05:50:37 AM »
Is there any way to see the results of the censoring without actually swearing (i.e. see the autocensor's "naughty word" list and its corresponding 'censored word' list?

If not, I'll just edit this post to contain every swearword I can think of before changing it back.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 06:19:36 AM »
Is there any way to see the results of the censoring without actually swearing (i.e. see the autocensor's "naughty word" list and its corresponding 'censored word' list?

If not, I'll just edit this post to contain every swearword I can think of before changing it back.
  No there is no such way at present. Such a list would undoubtably result in people not using the listed words, but others. This is not the end-effect we are looking for.

Offline ArchonCryx

• Dracon Author of long replies
  • Ancient
  • Dracon: Kabal of the Bloodied Claw of Despair
« Reply #14 on: February 1, 2005, 02:42:55 AM »
And don't do it, guys. Even this Mod got burned trying to work out what happens if you swear - you get hit with a big stick! Snicker, giggle! :lol: :D
"As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely just a result of wishful thinking." Pete Haines   ;)

Lords of Terra (Open) +High Lords (invitational)- Sydney July 24-25 2012, 1750pts, check lordsofterra.com

Offline Master Death Galiver

• Master of the Blue Thunders and weilder of Armadas
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 01:00:53 PM »
With due respect, Farseers, and all alike i do not mean to be repetitive, however I just wanted to put the emphasis of this matter. If you cannot handle youself by swearing then I honestly do not see why you are here. If it is as such, i aggree, There are too many people with a very wide range of age here.

As the Great Farseer's have already Said, just dont do it. Do not disrespect yourself by doing so. You would not want to be chopped up by the administration now would you not?

Again sorry for ranting.

Master Galiver
Fear the wrath of the Axe of Armadas. The legendary axe of lightning will be the last thing that you will ever see. The terrifying power of armadas will render you useless. The axe which only I may wield will be your downfall.

Offline DUDEMAESTRO

• JESUS SAVES! Everyone else takes critical damage.
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 01:11:24 AM »
Hey Rasamus... I would like to point out that the language these "kids" speak on their bus and amongst themselves would probably turn your touchy, kung-fu, virgin ears inside out.   :'(  But hey, thats just an observation.

Potty mouth is WRONG. And knowing is half the battle!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 01:13:42 AM by DUDEMAESTRO »
"... of the liberty of conscience in matters of religious faith, of speech and of the press; of the trail by jury of the vicinage in civil and criminal cases; of the benefit of the writ of habeas corpus; of the right to keep and bear arms... If these rights are well defined, and secured against encroachment, it is impossible that government should ever degenerate into tyranny."

-James Monroe

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 04:29:18 AM »
That does not mean that it should be encouraged or empowered here. Quite the contrary, by taking the "higher road" we are setting an example for everyone, not just the kids, to keep the language civil, and the discussions the same.

Offline PeregrineBF

• Hail Eris!
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 08:43:16 PM »
Since when is censorship a "higher road?"

Teaching kids that freedom of speech is bad and should be prevented is far worse than letting them see a collection of anglo-saxon words (Most "swear" words are just the anglo-saxon versions of words, the latin derivatives are considered fine.)
Then again, we are a private organization and can do what we like, and one can turn it off, but I still don't like it.
Pope Peregrinatus the First, Deathbird of the Outlands, Master Pastor of the Church of Disaster, Guardian of the Great Wheel, Head Knight of the Order Of The Five Sided Temple, KSC, POEE. Church of Eris, Discordia.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 05:20:44 AM »
Since when is censorship a "higher road?"
   The higher road in this instance is setting an example for all to follow, rather than booting out thos who cannot abide by those standards.
   And there is no freedom of speech here. This is a private enterprise and the rules are set by the owner (Raine) and staff. If you don't like them you are free to leave, but do not suffer delusions that this is a democracy. :)