News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Conscripts...Are they Really Still a Problem?  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Conscripts...Are they Really Still a Problem?
« on: November 2, 2017, 03:43:09 PM »
Hi guys, I rarely post on tactics and rules type issues. Mainly because I know for a fact that I play less than probably anyone on this forum. I have been scratching my head though since the last FAQ came out and I thought I'd turn to you guys for answers.

Conscripts have always been seen as a big problem. With their ability to effectively bubble wrap more important units to protect them, while still pumping out useful firepower for a very cheap price. Throw in a Commissar and laugh as the enemy has to work very hard to remove them from the game. Literally having to kill every single one.

But has the FAQ changed that forever?

Per the latest FAQ from 22 Oct 17: New FAQs and Errata for the Astra Militarum and beyond - Warhammer Community

Pages 90 and 101 – Commissar Yarrick, Lord Commissar and Commissar, Summary Execution
Change to read:
‘Summary Execution: The  1st time an Astra Militarum unit fails a Morale test during the Morale phase whilst it is within 6" of any friendly Commissars, one model of your choice in that unit is slain and the Morale test is re-rolled (do not include this slain model when re-rolling the Morale test).’

So, it's no longer just "don't worry about morale, I'll only lose 1 guy anyway", it now means that you lose a guy and then have to retake the test.

It's not exactly difficult to remove a fairly large handful of conscripts in 1 turn due to their average at best toughness and poor save. They can get into plenty of situations where it is impossible to pass a morale test even before the dice is thrown. You then lose 1 more conscript before then rolling again and having to pick up what is probably another large handful of models.

As such, it's now way easier to melt through several conscript units in a turn, thereby removing all the bubble wrap. Sure, the heavy hitters will have to wait for the 2nd turn, but at least you aren't talking about turn after turn of attrition.

Am I misreading this rule change? Am I missing a vital point about conscripts that still make them worthwhile? I'd love to know what you all think, because the perceived power of the unit seems misplaced to me.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2017, 03:47:10 PM by Looshkin »
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Conscripts...Are they Really Still a Problem?
« Reply #1 on: November 2, 2017, 03:54:29 PM »
It's certainly a nerf.  Although bare in mind that a unit of conscripts within range of summary execution will also be in range of aura of discipline, which effectively doubles their leadership.  But yeah, between the introduction of raw recruits and this change to summary execution, conscripts aren't what they were.

I think conscripts should have been ditched though, for various reasons.  They're more trouble than they're worth.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: November 2, 2017, 04:12:06 PM »
They are still an problem from the significant number, they are less than half the points of the cheapest Eldar model, with the same toughness and armour save. This is a move in the right direction though.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: November 2, 2017, 04:41:36 PM »
They have definitely taken a hit from the nerf bat, but they are still a very good choice to take to help bubble wrap your precious tanks.  Prior to the nerf, all you needed were the Conscripts and a single Commissar that was hiding out of LOS to make them impossible to move without utterly destroying them.  Now, you can still make them automatically pass their morale tests, but to do so you actually have to give something up to do it; whether it is a warlord trait or command points.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: November 2, 2017, 04:59:28 PM »
Concripts can still be an issue, as there is a relic which does the same thing comissars used to do. But, they are nowhere near as bad as they used to be.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Drah

• Suffer Not the Unclean to Live
    • Crossfire Gaming Club
  • Armies: Death Guard, Primaris Marines
« Reply #5 on: November 8, 2017, 10:27:25 AM »
The nerf was certainly needed imo, quite liking that GW are fast to jump on anything that comes across as overpowered or ends up not playing the way they intended

Offline TheEldarGuy

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 09:38:36 PM »
Conscripts are still a problem because there are 30 in a squad!

Good luck removing that as it runs up and holds an objective.

A cheap way of soaking up fire, other armies have to spend hundreds of additional points to absorb the same amount of firepower.

The reason they are not seen on the battlefield is more about the value of buying models. I padded my Guard squads with the 5-model box (listed as $14 here, Cadian Shocktroops are $48 for 10 models).