News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 75 PP Mechdar for Competition  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Tweedz

• Death is only the beginning.
75 PP Mechdar for Competition
« on: July 30, 2017, 11:40:18 AM »
Battalion Detachment

Hq
    Farseer (1): Singing Spear, Doom, Guide
    Warlock (1): Singing Spear, Conceal/Reveal

Troops
    Dire Avengers (5): 4x Dire Avenger Shuriken Catapult, Exarch, 2x Dire Avenger Shuriken Catapult
    Dire Avengers (5): 4x Dire Avenger Shuriken Catapult, Exarch, 2x Dire Avenger Shuriken Catapult

Flyers
    Hemlock Wraithfighter (1): Conceal/Reveal
    Crimson Hunter (1)

Spearhead Detachment

Hq
    Autarch (1): Mandiblasters, Reaper Launcher, Fusion Gun

Heavy Support
    Falcon (1): Pulse Laser, Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Crystal Targeting Matrix, Spirit Stones, Star Engines, Vectored Engines
    Falcon (1): Pulse Laser, Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Crystal Targeting Matrix, Spirit Stones, Star Engines, Vectored Engines

Totals
5 Drops
7 Command Points
75 PP

So this is completely different from the list I had posted originally here. I am very bad about making lists I do not have the models for. While this is not necessarily a problem, the previous list had a lot of stuff I was not going to buy in the near future. In contrast, not only do I have the models for this list, it also uses units that probably are not seeing much light right now in 8th. Falcons and DAs are horrendously overpriced currently in the index, but when you look at PL rather than price they actually become more reasonable.

The Strike Force. It needs a pit of paint work...

I see this list as an elite strike force for my Craftworld. Extremely fast gunboats with elite infantry and air support. The plan is to keep as many units within the autarch's reroll bubble as possible and gun down hard targets from range. My Dire Avengers disembark and shred softer targets together. The hemlock is the biggest threat in the list and so it will be concealing itself unless the infantry desperately need the protection, in which case the warlock uses that power. The farseer will doom priority targets. The best option for guide is going to be the CH, as it will likely be outside the autarch bubble. If that is not an options smite can be used instead.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2017, 12:20:55 AM by Tweedz »

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: 75 PP Mechdar for Competition
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 05:16:04 PM »
Looks good. The fact that the Warlock and Autarch can only buff Asuryani units is fine since they're gonna be with the Dark Reapers. Since Doom doesn't require the shooter be Asuryani, that will work great. Fortune and Guide are more limited, so I guess it's a question of which is more likely to be useful. I think that even though there aren't that many targets for Guide, there's more chance of it being useful than Fortune since you don't have a single huge model like a Wraithknight to benefit from Fortune. Even just using it on 3 Dark Reapers or Wave Serpent is fine, and getting a couple more hits in seems like it might be more game changing.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Tweedz

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 05:56:03 PM »
Fortune and Guide are more limited, so I guess it's a question of which is more likely to be useful. I think that even though there aren't that many targets for Guide, there's more chance of it being useful than Fortune since you don't have a single huge model like a Wraithknight to benefit from Fortune. Even just using it on 3 Dark Reapers or Wave Serpent is fine, and getting a couple more hits in seems like it might be more game changing.

Yeah, I honestly wish I could take 1 power on the farseer for a cheaper price because doom was what I really want for this list. If I could, I would make the reapers into one large unit, worthy of fortune or guide, but for some reason 3 units of 3 reapers is less power points than 1 unit of 9 (this makes no sense to me as you get less exarchs in a big unit). I see what you mean about fortune, my problem is that the autarch already provides a reroll bubble that is almost as good as guide. That being said, the bubble is small. In addition, even if I guide a unit under the autarch's bubble it will get some benefit none the less, and if I need to move something like the serpent out of the reroll bubble, guide becomes much more useful. It is somewhat mediocre either way, but now that you have made me think about it I am leaning toward guide. My opponent can play around what I do with fortune, but guide will be beneficial (even if only slightly) no matter what.

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 05:58:55 PM »
Yeah a pure doomseer at a discount would be the ideal choice if it could be done. Neither Guide nor Fortune is going to be that useful. You may even just be smiting in addition to Doom.

Offline Tweedz

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 06:00:12 PM »
You may even just be smiting in addition to Doom.

That seems very possible lol.

Offline Tweedz

« Reply #5 on: August 2, 2017, 05:03:23 PM »
So based on a second look I did on our vehicles I have come up with a new, and very different list.

Battalion Detachment

Hq
    Farseer (1): Singing Spear, Doom, Guide
    Warlock (1): Singing Spear, Conceal/Reveal

Troops

Flyers
    Hemlock Wraithfighter (1): Conceal/Reveal
    Crimson Hunter (1)

Spearhead Detachment

Hq
    Autarch (1): Mandiblasters, Reaper Launcher, Fusion Gun

Heavy Support

Totals
5 Drops
7 Command Points
75 PP

I know I know, avengers and falcons! They are utterly overpriced in points but, as I made mention of in another thread, they are actually closer to worthwhile in the power system. This list shows that somewhat.

-This list has almost exactly the same AT firepower as the other one (only .1 damage less on average!) but it does it all from long ranged/ hardy vehicles.
-Also about the same output against MEQ (this list does about .8 more damage to MEQ with all it's non-AT weapons)
-The overall survivability of vehicles in this list is far above that of the first one
-No infantry has to get out of the vehicles for my list to get its full ranged firepower, the avengers can wait until i have the proper target for them
-One less drop to help at getting that first turn
-Lastly I actually have the models for this list ...  i don't yet have all the dark eldar mentioned in the first list.

In the end I am not yet sure which of these two lists I would submit to the competition, but I enjoy the fact that this format actually made some units worthwhile that I had previously dismissed.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2017, 05:05:12 PM by Tweedz »

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #6 on: August 2, 2017, 05:25:39 PM »
Hey I like the second list a lot. Some use for more uncommon unit falcon and a dying unit, Dire Avenger, they really need love in the point departement.

I was thinking maybe you can drop a falcon and a dire avenger squad for a venom some khabalite and put the farseer inside to give him mobility and vision for the doom... BUT... you can't put a farseer in the venom, down the drain goes my plan. But maybe trying to find an open toped vehicul somewhere to give the farseer line of sight could be a good call I think. Don't know if it's feasible thought.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Tweedz

« Reply #7 on: August 2, 2017, 05:31:27 PM »
Yeah, if only Aeldari could share each others vehicles... The farseer can be screened by the falcons though. If they surround him then he can get his powers off and only be targeted by snipers. The same thing hold true for the autarch who will also provide all the vehicles with path of command for some nice rerolls (which I forgot to factor into my earlier damage calculations...).

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #8 on: August 2, 2017, 06:01:51 PM »
yeah but doom is 18inch wich is short if the enemy is not charging you.

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: August 2, 2017, 06:23:46 PM »

In 8e AFAIK Doom has a greater range than 18 inches.

Offline Tweedz

« Reply #10 on: August 2, 2017, 06:37:14 PM »

In 8e AFAIK Doom has a greater range than 18 inches.

Yep, double checked to make sure, it is 24 now.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #11 on: August 3, 2017, 04:12:46 AM »
Ah ... Then my bad I'm not familiar with the knew rules enough it seems, probably mixed it with conceal/reveal.

Back to the index.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #12 on: August 4, 2017, 07:45:15 AM »
Yeah a pure doomseer at a discount would be the ideal choice if it could be done. Neither Guide nor Fortune is going to be that useful.

Well, theoretically, I'd still prefer to keep Farseer as "Level 2" psyker, because being able to deny 2 powers is useful vs certain armies.

You may even just be smiting in addition to Doom.
Guide is precisely that - something that enables you to score an extra wound or two when there's nothing in range worth Smiting. It's an extra bit of flexibility that comes in handy quite often. It's not as powerful as Doom, but by no means useless.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus