News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What you'd like to see stay/go/change for Eldar in 8th & Eldar News  (Read 5205 times)

Offline SeekingOne

• Infinity Circuit
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Re: What you\'d like to see stay/go/change for Eldar in 8th & Eldar News
« Reply #220 on: June 15, 2017, 09:24:20 PM »
@Blazinghand
So are Guardian Defenders a better choice until we get a full Codex with Exarch powers?

In short - yes, they are. And I'd go even further and say that they are, point for point, a better choice than almost anything else in this new 'index'

@Fenris
Regarding the defender guardians comparred to the Avengers, let's just say I'm going to proxy my Avengers as Guardians, because no-one can tell the difference anyway.
There is something GW is not telling us about the aspect warriors, or they simply overrated Asurmen as an auto include.

Edit:
Invulnerable saves have taken a big hit though, since AP is not binary and mortal wounds punch right through it anyway.

In fact, I really hope that the point cost of DA gets FAQd as a mistake soon. There are a couple of factors indirectly pointing to that:
1) If we look at Power Ratings, we'll see that a unit of 5 DA's has a power rating of just 3, while, for example, a unit of 10 Guardians has rating of 4, and a unit of Hawks has rating of 5. This kind of suggests that 5 DAs should be cheaper than both in points, yet their point cost is such that they cost more than Guardians and the same as Hawks.
2) I can't believe that DA shuricat as a weapon could be consciously priced just one point cheaper than a Deathspinner.

Thus I think that the intended cost of a DA shuricat is about 2-3 pts, which would bring the DA cost to a reasonable level. Because if GW designers seriously intended DAs to cost that much, they could've just as well just remove the unit from the book.

@magenb
With regards to Shuriken cannons. The problem is S6 is in a super bad place, it has the same roll to W a T7 tanks as the Catapult, so when mounted on a Jetbike, it is favourable to use the Twin Catapults as range really isn't a problem on that platform.
I have to disagree with this statement in relation to jetbikes. It is true that specifically vs T7 wound rolls for S4 and S6 are the same, but with this new wound chart such weird situations are all over the place. For example, for S5 it makes no difference whether to shoot at T3 or T4, and it makes no difference whether to shoot T7 with S8 or S9 or S10. And regardless of that, in practice T7 means a tank or a heavy monster, and ideally neither shuricats nor shuricannons should be used on such target, as they are D1 - this is a job for Dd6 fusion guns or D3 starshot missiles.
Meanwhile range is most definitely a problem for any platform: even though a fast unit can easily get into short range, getting there means exposing itself to much heavier retaliation. And that is not a healthy prospect for an expensive and not particularly tough unit like Windriders.

To give a simple example - consider a squadron of 4 jetbikes engaging a unit of 10 tactical marines (roughly equal point cost). 4 bikes with shuricannons will likely win in a firefight at the range of 24", while 4 bikes with twin shuricats will likely lose because by getting into 12" they expose themselves to rapid fire from bolters followed by assault.

Post Merge: June 15, 2017, 09:31:07 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Vehicles I'm still in the air. Currently, there is no real difference between a hover tank, and a tracked tank other than move distance. By removing the complexity, they took the flavor/advantage of different types out.
Why, skimmers have the "Fly" keyword. Per basic rules, models that Fly ignore other models and terrain on the move. Because of that skimmers are also allowed to land on upper floors of ruins - something a tracked vehicle can't do.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:31:07 PM by SeekingOne »
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline magenb

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: What you'd like to see stay/go/change for Eldar in 8th & Eldar News
« Reply #221 on: June 17, 2017, 03:55:43 AM »
Invul saves have actually become more important on hammer units. Spears, for example would be too much of a glass cannon to be useful without it. Mortal Wounds while handy, hasn't been as big of a deal as I thought it would.

Offline SeekingOne

• Infinity Circuit
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #222 on: June 19, 2017, 02:46:46 AM »
I'd say we need a separate new thread to share actual experiences of 8th edition, to discuss units' performance and various learning points. This thread is already a bit bloated for this.
Perhaps one of the forum elders could start one?
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | I killed Dayan and all I got was this stupid rock...
  • Global Moderator
  • Soņando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Globals do not play 40K
« Reply #223 on: June 19, 2017, 10:54:50 AM »
I'd thought about doing a topic split for that very reason, but it's too awkward to do so.  I would appreciate it if someone were to start a new topic though, as this one has become rather scattered.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente