News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Building an Exodite army with Codex: Eldar – Part 3 –Non-Aspect Units  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Daeron of Lorien

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
This article is part of a series explaining how to build an Exodite army with the 7th edition codices and Ally rules. In this article, I will review each unit within the codex that can represent an Exodite equivalent.  I will cover their backstory, wargear, special rules and modeling suggestions.  As with each of these codex specific articles, I will be treating each codex independently so there may be modeling suggestions that are common to multiple codices for completely different units

Since most players favor a single army and don’t knit together several codices as I have done, it will be up to the individual modeler to determine how best, within his own army, he can use the same base model for different units from more than one codex.   In reality, the possibilities are almost unlimited, especially with the variety of old and new models for most of the Games Workshop units available now, so it would be beyond the scope of these articles.

The units will be presented in the order they appear in the codex and if I have not written an Exodite equivalent unit for that entry, I will try to explain the challenge I faced.  Maybe the reader can see something I missed and add even more Exodite flavor to the codex.  If the unit is one I use as-is, then it will be listed at the end of the unit list with some general comments as needed for that unit.

One final note, as I explain the backstory of the unit, you will see a mix of traditional Exodite fluff coupled with my own interpretation to match the story of my own Maiden World.  My intent is not to rewrite the fluff but to simply write my own story for a single Maiden World located on the Eastern Fringe in Tau space.  It should serve as a starting point for the reader to launch out on his own interpretation or craft it to be more in line with the traditional Exodite fluff.

Special Rules
The Ancient Doom rule is very appropriate for Exodites as well as Eldar so this one translates well.  Since all of the Eldar non-wraith units in the codex have fleet, it was simple to merge that rule with Battle Focus to create the “Jungle Born” special rule.  It is nothing more than the two combined but it sounds a lot more Exodite.  Remember part of the illusion is the language you use during the battle.

Exodite Weapons
The Exodites are Eldar and left their homeworld equipped with Eldar tech so it is fair to use the standard Eldar weapons, especially the shuriken pistols.  However, much of the Exodite fluff refers to them using wraithbows.  The only problem I had with this is the 12” range of most of the Eldar infantry weapons.  Being an archer myself, I decided that the best way to incorporate bows is to treat all 12” ranged weapons as wraith crossbows and anything longer ranged as wraithbows.  This matched history in that not only did crossbows require less training, they were a shorter range weapon.  Now the Guardian troop equivalents could use wraith crossbows while the more skilled warriors used wraithbows.

The Avatar of Khaine – The Dragon King
Though many feel that the Avatar is too vulnerable a unit, I feel that its rules perfectly represent the Dragon King himself.  Elected for a lifetime by the nobility of Lorien, the Dragon King has already proven his combat ability and rides a wingless dragon (called a Great Wyrm).  The dragon provides the reason for all of the Avatar’s special rules from monstrous creature to invulnerable save and Fear.

The Dragon’s sharp claws give him the ultimate in armour piercing attacks and the Dragon King inspires Fearlessness in nearby Eldar.  The Dragon hide armour and the hide of the dragon itself can explain the invulnerability to flame weapons and the dragon’s breath weapon is the reason for the 12” melta shot, doubled if you spend the points on Fast Shot.  Add monster hunter if you feel your dragon should be able to more easily take down enemy monstrous creatures.

As a centerpiece model, representing the most significant individual in the Exodite society, I cannot really recommend a certain approach to modeling it.  As you create your own Dragon King concept, you will find the right models for yourself.  However, to provide an example, I have chosen to use the Reaper Bones Pathfinder dragon without wings as the Great Wyrm and used the rider from the High Elf Phoenix kit as the Dragon King himself.

Autarchs – Dragon Lords
The Dragon Lords are the highest ranking leader within each of the six house of Lorien.  Each came up through the ranks from one of the clans of the house after demonstrating both combat skill and wisdom is ruling.

The Autarch can be built in many ways so he perfectly represents a Dragon Lord from any of the clans.  Put him on a Terradon (jetbike) and he comes from the mountain clans where many of their warriors ride Terradons.  Put him on a Giant Hawk or Eagle (Swooping Hawk Wings) and he comes from the hawk riding clans.

Each of the wargear items specific to aspects that are available to the Dragon Lord will be discussed in detail in the section specific to that unit but in this unit, can be used to show a Dragon Lord’s path through his career.

Farseer - Baron
Of the nobles that make up the ruling class of the Exodites, Barons are the most psychically skilled and influential of these.  They are not much different than the typical craftworld farseer.  In fact, they often wear the same ritual robes and ghosthelms handed down from the first pioneers that settled Lorien.  Though they may look similar, within Exodite society, the barons have the dual roles of royal advisors and clan governors.  Each clan has a handful of Barons that lead the clan in all of its dealings on the world.  The chief baron of each clan forms a ruling council within each house presided over by the Walker clan baron.  This structure allows for the autonomy of each clan as well as a unifying governance ensuring the clans of the house are working in the best interests of the house.

Similarly, the ranking barons of each house’s Walker clan form a royal seer council of the Dragon King. The decision of the Dragon King is the ultimate authority but he never makes decisions without the input of the Barons who interpret the strands of reality to help uncover the most beneficial course of action for the world.  Once the Dragon King has made his decree, the Barons work their influence to bring about the goals of the king.

The farseer can be used without change to represent the Baron which is the highest ranking psyker in a clan and part of the ruling body along with the nobles.  There is no need to change the narrative to make the rules match.  The only thing you must decide is what your Baron’s will look like.  Will they be indistinguishable from Craftworld farseers or will they be made distinct by using various Warhammer elf sorcerers or elves from other miniatures companies?

Spiritseer - Dragonsinger
The Spiritseer lends itself very well to the Exodite fluff.  With the wraith units being the core of the creature units in this codex, and the Spiritseer’s ability to buff those units, this unit makes the perfect Dragonsinger.  The Dragonsinger is an Exodite who studies the folklore and music of the Exodites and has the ability to call on the planet’s flora and fauna to aid in the defence o f their world.  They manifest their phychic abilities in song either vocally or with instruments.

I went so far as to change the descriptions for the Dragonsinger’s psychic skills to really bring out the Exodite flavor.  Here are the abilities with Exodite names.

Ballad of the Beast: (Spirit Mark) This powerful Dragonsong weaves its way into the minds of the primal beasts that accompany the Exodites to war, instilling them with a greater sense of purpose and duty.  All Spriggans, Stegadons, Onodrim, Carnosaurs (Wraithguard, Wraithblades, Wraithlords and Wraithknights) are affected by this song

Songs of Lileath (Telepathy): Some examples of name changes are Hymn to Asuryan(Psychic Shriek), Nocturne of Shadow (Invisibility) and Dream Weaver (Hallucination). 

Songs of War (Runes of Battle):  Some examples of name changes are Dusk’s Vespers/Dawn Aria (Conceal/Reveal), Aria of Hope/Dirge of Despair (Embolden/Horrify) and Prelude of Hope/Despair (Empower/Envenerate).

One suggestion for the weapons is to give the Dragonsinger a staff that counts as both the Witchstaff and the shuriken pistol.  I call it an Ashenrod and it has the abilities of both and adds +1 attack since the Witchstaff is not a Two-handed weapon and the pistol would normally give a bonus attack. 

Warlock - Noble
The Warlock Council is another unit that can be used as is to represent the Nobles that are leaders within the clans.  Similar to farseers, there are many ways to model these, especially if they are given the jetbike.  After reading about the Guardian units below, you can decide how best to model these Nobles in your own army.

Guardian Defenders - Dragonwarders
The typical Exodite is engaged in herding megadons in their daily life.  They are not warriors in the traditional sense.  However, just like any other Eldar culture, everyone is expected to defend their home when needed.   The equipment used by these warriors must be lightweight and easy to use.  The Exodite crossbow is the perfect way to represent the guardians’ shuriken catapult.  Their role on the battlefield is not to “take it to the enemy” but to “defend the base”.

The older plastic Dark Elf Warriors kit by Citadel is a great way to build this unit.  Having a very simple crossbow compared to the more current models, these convey a simpler, non-front line combat unit.  The unit can also be given an Exodite field using any dinosaur model that fits on a 40mm base as the ‘platform’ for the support weapon.  Magistar Militarum has 15mm dinosaur miniatures, such as an Ankylosaurus, that would serve to create the Exodite look in the unit.

Storm Guardians - Clanwarders
Just as the Dragonwarders guard the herds and the clan during their migrations, the Clanwarders defend the permanent settlements when needed.  Their equipment is different but easily modeled with the same Dark Elf Warriors used for the Dragonwardens andarmed with handbows and close combat weapons.  A couple can be given power swords, fusion guns (or wraithbows lie the Fire Dragons) or flamers.

Windrider Jetbike Squads – Cloud Dancers
Just as with the Shining Spears, you can model these as standard jetbikes or make them Cloud Dancers.  These Terradon riding Exodites range widely around the herds to find any threats at the earliest possible moment.  They are quite easily modeled with the Jetbike rider body and the Dark Elf Warrior Crossbow arms.  To represent the twin-linked nature of their weapon, two bolt magazines can be mounted next to each other if desired.

One in three can have a Shuriken Cannon which can be represented by a Wratihbow.  There are many elf bowman models and swapping out a hand carrying the bow is the only real conversion necessary.

To make any of your Cloud Dancers  look a bit less like their Craftworld kin, you can carefully remove the jetbike rider heads and replace them with any other suitable Elf head.

Harlequins
The Harlequins are an unusual unit and can be used as is since the Harlequins fight alongside all Eldar.  However, I am taking the name Wardancers from the Warhammer genre as it is very fitting but since the weapons of the harlequins are vastly different than the Wardancer models, you will not be able to use the Warhammer models without heavy conversion.  I have a couple approaches I will be taking but to set these models apart from the rest of the very colorful Exodite army, I will be incorporating color patterns from Romany and Gypsy clothing if I decide to model these.

Rangers
Since the Rangers are outcasts from the Craftworlds, there really is no need to make an Exodite version.  However, the idea of elf bowmen sniping the enemy at range paints a cool picture.  So, while you can use the standard Ranger models in an Exodite army, you can also use any of the Citadel elf archers to represent them as well. 

You don’t even have to change the unit name but the Wood Elf Waywatchers are essentially the Warhammer version of the Rangers so the name works too.

Named Characters
Though I covered the Aspects in a previous article, I left the named characters for here since most of my comments would relate to the non-aspect characters.  The named characters in the Edlar codex fit in a very straightforward manner and are easily modeled by following the suggestions of the standard unit to which they are most similar.

The Phoenix Lords represent various clan Dragon Lords that have become the best in their class of warrior.  They lead entire clans but favor one style of combat practiced within their clan.  Asurman actually represents the captain of the Dragon Guard and he can be modeled after their fashion as well.

Illic Nightspear can be used as is.  He often visits Maiden Worlds and is an inspiration to all who walk the Outcast Path or, in the case of the Exodites, the Rangers.

Since Eldrad is really a stronger Farseer, he represents the Chief Baron on the Dragon King’s Seer Council and as such can use the standard Farseer gear.  Given that the Farseer gear on Lorien comes from the time before the Fall, I treat it as a symbol of position used by the most important Barons on Lorien.  Because of this, I can use the Eldrad model as is.

Finally, Prince Yriel is the black sheep in this list.  He is a perfectly valid character but I have been unable to develop a story line that would give him his signature weapon so for now, he is not in my Exodte Army.

Vehicles and Other Units
The vehicles of the Edlar codex, with the exception of the Wraithfighter, can all be used as is.  The Exodites typically shun the conveniences of the modern technology but they are not above using them.  Since the Exodites still trade with the Craftworlds, there is a way to incorporate Exodite vehicles in your army.  However, a better alternative may be to paint the vehicles in a Craftworld scheme, especially Biel-tan since the Carftworlds will readily aid the Exodites in times of war.

Alternatives I Am Exploring
One of the alternatives I am exploring is the Avatar of Lileath instead of the Dragon King for the Avatar of Khaine.  Though Lileath was supposedly killed during the Fall, it could be that since she could see future events and is the goddess of dreams, she may have sent out her consciousness into the universe to escape her fate.  Now, some seers on Maiden Worlds are able to focus parts of her consciousness into physical form when the need is desperate and create an Avatar of Lileath.   All that is needed is a large female elf miniature with a staff.

By changing the descriptions of the abilities you get a viable alternative to the Eldar flaming god of war.  For example, her Moonstaff is her weapon and by modeling her with a shield, you have a convincing protection from flaming weapons.  I gave her special abilities the title “Dreamweaver”.  She projects visions across the battlefield.  All friendly units from the Codex: Eldar within 12” are fearless.  Also, all enemy units in close combat with her see nightmarish visions so are subject to the Fear special rule and may believe they cannot hurt her so their attacks are more likely to fail, explaining her invulnerable save.

The problem right now is finding a suitably large, elf-like female miniature that can be modified to make this unit.  I have a couple of ideas but none of the Citadel or Forgeworld models lend themselves to this.

Conclusion
As you can see, there are many units in this codex that can be interpreted as Exodites.  The fact that the Edlar often aid the Exodites means that you can start with an Edlar army and add a couple Exodite models for some variety.  Over time, you can add more units or make an entire Exodite only army from this codex. 

As I mentioned in my first article, there have been many other articles written on using the Eldar codex for the Exodites but by beginning with this review, it will be easier to see how the other codices can be used to add even more of an Exodite flavor to this standard approach to modeling Exodites.