News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Suicide, and it's impact.  (Read 48154 times)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re: Suicide!
« Reply #780 on: October 10, 2009, 01:07:23 AM »
Depends upon circumstance I think is the bottom line. After all we put dogs down if they are suffering !
That's euthanasia, not suicide.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Adarachir

• Cogito Ergo Hereticus
« Reply #781 on: October 12, 2009, 12:42:01 AM »
Why do people do it? Can ones troubles really be so bad as to warrent suicide?

Do u think someone is a coward when they comit suicide, or do u think it takes a lot of bravery to go through with it?

They do it for a variety of reasons. It can be depression, it can be due to tragedy, or it can be for something else. And as for whether or not it's a cowardly act depends on circumstance. And indeed, the will to supress the urge to live is certainly not something you'd find in those weak of will.

As for myself, I have thought about it for a variety of reasons, and indeed discussed the matter of suicide in and of itself detatched from my own person with people I know. Opinions on the matter are highly varied. For my own part, I believe that there are times when suicide can be preferable to continued existence. Indeed, I hold that it is the right of the individual to chose life or death as they see fit once they reach a certain age(when your old enough to vote, drink, kill for your country in a war and drive a car, you're old enough).
Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, riddle them with bullets.
Never hit a man with glasses. Hit him with a baseball bat.
No, I'm not feeling violent, I'm feeling creative with weapons.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
I'm not cynical. I'm just experienced.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?
If I throw a stick, will you go away?

Offline RichardB

« Reply #782 on: October 14, 2009, 05:09:00 AM »
Depends upon circumstance I think is the bottom line. After all we put dogs down if they are suffering !
That's euthanasia, not suicide.

Ok my bad, didn't clarify my point and you are correct of course. The point I was making is that we allow a Dog an 'early' death in the right circumstances, obviously dogs dont generally kill them selves when things get bad, but when we decide for our selves that life isn't worth living then it's still not allowed, or frowned upon, even if life just means pain pain pain with no quality of life and no hope of anything... yet we make the same decision for amimals every day in far lesser circumstances.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #783 on: October 14, 2009, 06:03:54 AM »
Ok my bad, didn't clarify my point and you are correct of course. The point I was making is that we allow a Dog an 'early' death in the right circumstances, obviously dogs dont generally kill them selves when things get bad, but when we decide for our selves that life isn't worth living then it's still not allowed, or frowned upon, even if life just means pain pain pain with no quality of life and no hope of anything... yet we make the same decision for amimals every day in far lesser circumstances.
Suicide is not illegal (well, I have read of periods and places where it has been) so I don't really think that deters anyone. Besides; trying to punish someone for a successful suicide seems rather... futile.
Dogs, and a lot of other animals, DO in fact commit suicide. Not by hanging or drug overdose, but they just stop eating, and wither away. You see it a lot in sick and old animals. "He knows its his time" and so on. We, as humans, lack that capacity. probably as a sideffect of sentience, and higher survval-drive.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline kuroppoi tentei

• blackburn college
« Reply #784 on: October 14, 2009, 09:20:50 PM »
on a very personal note, my brother has tried it over and over. Attention thing out of depression I think. He's an idiot.
if he has depression he isn't  a idiot he's ill depression is just as agonizing but in a different way you mite what to read in to it before calling your brother  but saying that i don't no him so you mite be rite
___________________ ___________________ _____
War not determine who's right, war determines who's left

Offline RichardB

« Reply #785 on: October 15, 2009, 05:23:50 AM »
on a very personal note, my brother has tried it over and over. Attention thing out of depression I think. He's an idiot.
if he has depression he isn't  a idiot he's ill depression is just as agonizing but in a different way you mite what to read in to it before calling your brother  but saying that i don't no him so you mite be rite

He does it for attention. He is an idiot !!  ::)

Offline Adarachir

• Cogito Ergo Hereticus
« Reply #786 on: October 19, 2009, 08:03:58 AM »

He does it for attention. He is an idiot !!  ::)

No, he has issues, and he's in need of help. Not name-calling.
Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, riddle them with bullets.
Never hit a man with glasses. Hit him with a baseball bat.
No, I'm not feeling violent, I'm feeling creative with weapons.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
I'm not cynical. I'm just experienced.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?
If I throw a stick, will you go away?

Offline Wyrmnax

• SPAMMER: Copyright? What's that?
« Reply #787 on: October 19, 2009, 11:22:59 AM »
I usually try to avoid as hard as i can from being offensive, but this time i wont.

Putting suicide as cowardice directly, or as a easy way out withouth ever thinking about what caused it is very stupid. If you really think like that, then either you never really had a serious issue, or you never had a case of suicide close to you. It is much more complex than that.

Suiciding is a very serious decision. Serious enough that there is no right or wrong about it. I do not think that anyone who ever tried or commited suicide did so out of impulse for a single problem. And by tried i mean, really tried. Not cut off your wrists and bleed a little from it, the people that actually jumped off the 9th floor window and survived.

- It is very selfish. It harms other people indirectly. Theres no way around it. I think many suicidals consider this, and many actually consider that they will harm the others less by killing themselves than by continue living on.

- It is *hard*. Try punching a wall with all your strenght. Then do it again. Then again. Then again. Consciously harming yourself is a hard thing to do, especially when you expect it to hurt.

- It requires that you disregard your life. I dont know how much you like your life, it is a question that only you can ever answer. But it means that you are giving up on it.

Those are all serious issues, and dont even touch the tip of the problem. When you are considering suicide, it was not your first option. *ever*. But you start discarding options that are not feasible until you are left with a couple really bad ones. Of those, you consider suicide the least worse because of your own personal reason.

Again, i want to stress this: It is a very personal decision, taking under circunstances where to the individual that commited it, it was better than the alternatives.

"If i were on his/her place..."  Well, you arent. You arent him/her. You do not know how the person is feeling. You might have went through something similar, but you are different. You see things differently, you handle things differently, you feel your emotions differently.

Suicide is never caused by a single event. Well, it is caused by a single event, but someone never reach that point where they will suicide in a single event. What caused is a case by case basis, but you are not walking on the street happilly and then  you suddenly think you want to die and kill yourself. Something has brought you to that point. Days, months, maybe years before the event.

I think ive ranted too much already.