News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Newcomer to 40k Interested in Black Templars  (Read 487 times)

Offline erik007

Newcomer to 40k Interested in Black Templars
« on: July 6, 2007, 02:39:53 AM »
Hi Guys

Ive been playing Lord of the Rings for little over a year and have decided it's time to step up to one of the big 2 systems.  Most of my club play Fantasy and Ive spent the last couple of months buying and trying different fantasy armies but for some reason I cant get motivated to play any of them.  Maybe I just don't like the whole Fantasy setting.

I've decided to leave the fantasy stuff on the shelf for a while and look further into 40k.  As a mad paintball and Airsoft fan I'm sure that the whole Guns thing will keep me motivated and although it may mean that I find less players to game with at my local club I feel that my main priority in wargaming has always been to have a fantastic looking army that friends and visitors to my home could admire.

I've had a look at the GW website and have pretty much decided that Black Templars may be the army for me.  I like what Ive seen of the fluff and the figures look nice as well.

I don't see many posts here about the Black Templars and was wondering what people thought of them as a first 40k army

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Newcomer to 40k Interested in Black Templars
« Reply #1 on: July 6, 2007, 03:08:38 AM »
Welcome to 40KOnline erik007. Enjoy your stay here.

In my estimation Black Templars are a slightly more complicated army than normal Space marines, but only slightly so. It's mostly a matter of getting into assault as fast as possible while taking as little fire as possible. They're still Space Marine infantry at heart, so don't require huge thought. That should help in winning games.

Conversions are easy thanks to the highly modular Space Marine plastic range. You should also be able to pick up some models for relatively little money secondhand on the internet. The market is flooded with them. Many people start (and quit) Space Marine armies.

As painting goes, they're exceedingly fast and easy to paint as well if you know what you're doing. The main problem is posed by the shoulderpads. You'll want to prime the models black and the shoulderpads white separately, then stick them on after most of the painting is done. Getting a good even white over a black undercoat is exceedingly difficult. The black armour is very easily painted with codex or shadow grey and the edging technique. That's 80% of the model done already in little more than 2 priming and one painting stage. Details like bare metal purity seals and the like can then be done to complete the model in no time. The stark black/white contrast makes Black Templar armies look very effective on the table. It helps to use a contrasting base (and details on the model) to add some more colour.

Offline Perigrine

« Reply #2 on: July 6, 2007, 10:12:51 AM »
greetings and welcome to 40k. If your looking for more info on Black Templars or Space Marines in general head on over to the space marine boards and the folks their will be more then happy to help you out.

I dont play BT but i did look into them when i started up as was previously mentioned they are SM but function slightly differnt with less heavy support and being very assault oriented. They also use a Vow's system which depending on who you ask is kinda cheesy or pretty cool.

Offline Alexander's Son

• Mentor - Newbies feel free to ask for any help.
    • Alexander Son's web page
« Reply #3 on: July 6, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »
 Greetings and welcome in the community...

BT are somewhat complicated for a new player. My advice would be to make an army based on BT. Buy the models, assemble, paint if you like like BT and make a custom Chapter of SM... then when you have some games on your shoulders turn to BT. They are a good shooty army but they have some disadvantages that can make them lose a game they were winning!
Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

A suspicious mind is a healthy mind

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: July 6, 2007, 11:34:25 AM »
They are a good shooty army but they have some disadvantages that can make them lose a game they were winning!

Pardon? Say again?

erik007: I'd recommend you to start with Black Templars straight away rather than progressing on from Space Marines. Their rules are not appreciably more complicated. Especially for someone who's been getting to grips with rulebooks for several months. Black Templars does not equal rocket science. Also, you won't waste money on a Space Marines codex you'll never use again.

Offline Alexander's Son

• Mentor - Newbies feel free to ask for any help.
    • Alexander Son's web page
« Reply #5 on: July 6, 2007, 11:43:55 AM »
 Pax gives some good advice...

I step down by saying that Black Templars can be used as a shooty army... I'm planning such an army...
Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

A suspicious mind is a healthy mind

Offline Perigrine

« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2007, 03:17:41 PM »
First off you need to decide if  being assaulty is what you want if not i would not reccomend BT as codex marines with or without traits will shoot much better and can still assualt as well.

Offline Firebread

• Chaos Mentor, feel free to PM me.
« Reply #7 on: July 6, 2007, 06:18:57 PM »
I wouldn't mainly because buying all the upgrade boxes and such is gonna be a be-atch.
"It won't be the battles that kill me, but these damn victory parties."